Author Topic: Raider..out to pasture?  (Read 5416 times)

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
Re: Raider..out to pasture?
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:24:55 am »
I disagree. If there's nothing to replace it in the same class, then leave it where it is and continue selling it.

Kit- I swear you spend more time worrying about the future of the Raider than you do actually riding one.

Ares - I swear you spend more time worrying about what I post than you do actually making relevant posts of your own.

That's because I'm an Admin and would like to keep the negativity to a minimum. It seems almost every time you post it's something along this line. I just don't see the need to start a new thread every month or so about the disappearance of the Raider before it happens without any concreate information.

Agreed!!  :thumbs:

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
    • SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:30:35 am »
    I disagree. If there's nothing to replace it in the same class, then leave it where it is and continue selling it.

Kit- I swear you spend more time worrying about the future of the Raider than you do actually riding one.

Ares - I swear you spend more time worrying about what I post than you do actually making relevant posts of your own.

That's because I'm an Admin and would like to keep the negativity to a minimum. It seems almost every time you post it's something along this line. I just don't see the need to start a new thread every month or so about the disappearance of the Raider before it happens without any concreate information.

Personally I think Kit has a valid point.  Look at the past few years, the Raider had several models to choose from, fast forward to 2016 and what is there?  If that's not writing on the walls I don't know what is.  The Raider is on it's way out, a single model for 2016 should be an eye opener.  I seriously think that there will be no Raider in the mix for 2017.  I am hoping that if Yamaha decides to stay with a big bore cruiser that the next bike will make many Raider owners want to trade in their Raiders for whatever Yamaha comes up with to replace it.  Only time will tell what will happen, it's nothing more than a hurry up and wait game.

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:55:14 am »

Personally I think Kit has a valid point.  Look at the past few years, the Raider had several models to choose from, fast forward to 2016 and what is there?  If that's not writing on the walls I don't know what is.  The Raider is on it's way out, a single model for 2016 should be an eye opener.  I seriously think that there will be no Raider in the mix for 2017.  I am hoping that if Yamaha decides to stay with a big bore cruiser that the next bike will make many Raider owners want to trade in their Raiders for whatever Yamaha comes up with to replace it.  Only time will tell what will happen, it's nothing more than a hurry up and wait game.

And it may very well be, but like I have said many times before, someone has made that statement I think just about every year since 2010. The Raider is still here.

• Advertisement

StrykerBilly

• Warrior
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2016, 01:37:11 pm »
      While it's true that some models have been in production for 10-15 years with little changes, they have to be at the right time & place as well as fill a good sized niche.  Producing a vehicle has some significant costs associated with it.

Not sure the Raider is in that category/niche but hoping that if it is being replaced Yamaha is smarter than all of us and knows that once released the existing models would have to be even deeper discounted to offload so they are just thinning things way down to mitigate that cost as much as possible.
      And while people will surely miss the Raider, riding buddy still talks fondly about his V65 magna, I bet a good portion will lust after the new machine(s)!!  After, of course, a respectful period of mourning :)   

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2016, 01:49:47 pm »
      Funny that we're talking about this and just a few minutes ago one of the dealerships I go to called with an invitation to see the Victory Octane - I might just go check it out.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaG1I-2xFUY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaG1I-2xFUY</a>

Professor

• Nothing but a good time!
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 44
        • Real Estate & Investment Professional
      « Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2016, 03:48:20 pm »
      Personally the way I look at it; I have mine. I don't care if they discontinue it. If they do it won't male me enjoy mine any less and just maybe with there being less out there they may retain their value better.

If Star comes out with the next great thing it's unlikely I'd jump on the bandwagon. I stumbled upon my Raider, I had plans to black out my 2006 Roadstar Midnight Silverado. It was going to cost me several thousand $.  Then I found my 2014 SCL and was sold.

I can't wait to get it back on the road in the spring.
      2014 Raider SCL #463

Previous Bikes:
      2006 Road Star Midnight Silverado
      2002 V-Star Classic

StrykerBilly

• Warrior
      « Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2016, 03:49:57 pm »
      Funny that we're talking about this and just a few minutes ago one of the dealerships I go to called with an invitation to see the Victory Octane - I might just go check it out.

You get to see it live?  Very cool and very jealous.  I have to settle for the internet :(  Been following this since the first 1-off bike they did.
      I'm hoping for a really cool production bike but this whole thing confuses me as well.  Indian has 2 engines and now Victory will as well with the 1100ish one being in common.  The odd part is that it appears the Victory might be the more powerful version.  And add in that Indian just released the smaller engine Scout and it gets really confusing.

Don't get me wrong, I see the huge benefits to both companies have the "one" engine in common it just seems odd that Victory might have the more powerful one. 
      I'm also excited they are still going through with this considering that the stock has seen an 80 point drop in a little less than 8 months and "winter" has not been great so that shoe is probably still waiting to drop...

LeaderDuece

• There is no substitute for power. Raw nasty power.
      • Warrior
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2016, 04:19:06 pm »
      Personally the way I look at it; I have mine. I don't care if they discontinue it. If they do it won't male me enjoy mine any less and just maybe with there being less out there they may retain their value better.

If Star comes out with the next great thing it's unlikely I'd jump on the bandwagon. I stumbled upon my Raider, I had plans to black out my 2006 Roadstar Midnight Silverado. It was going to cost me several thousand $.  Then I found my 2014 SCL and was sold.

Having gone through this with the Warrior, it's not all fun and roses. At first parts are cheap. Dealers discount them to get them off the shelves. Then one day you realize there are literally no more chrome swing arm pivot covers left. Anywhere. Then nobody wants to make exhausts for your bike, and you have like 2 options. Everyone who was giving away stock parts starts hoarding them. And your dreams of your bike being worth more and more like a '63 'Vette go up in smoke when people move on to the next bigger better thing, and you can't get half of what you paid for it, let alone all the money you put into it. Yamaha is losing lifelong customers because they've done his to several models now. If they replaced them it would be one thing, but they're not. So we're stuck with 10 year old models that nobody wants to hassle with. Mama Yama better wake up or one day all they'll have left is yuppies on '650's, and those always move on to Harleys eventually.

Rant over...

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
      « Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2016, 04:59:00 pm »

Ares, this is a forum where members are encouraged to voice themselves about things pertaining to the subject matter at hand; The Raider...and a few other topics. At least, that is what I thought the forum was all about.
      Making an observation about the Raider's possible future is not negative, it is simply a comment.

It seems to me that you find most things negative when they don't agree with your opinion on things.
      Unfortunately, you seem to be like many moderators on other forums who think it is their right and their duty to direct the flow of opinion and conversation...far beyond a moderator's actual duty of keeping a simple civil and respectful forum where others can freely express their opinions.

I usually enjoy the banter on this forum, but many times you come in like a wet dishrag and throw your moderator status around, making proclamations about things that you have a different opinion of...putting a big damper on the thread.
      Your unprovoked and mean-spirited remark to my post in this thread is just another perfect example of your swaggering attitude and domineering proclamations.

Your deplorable treatment of Professor last year is but one example of how you mistreat others that don't share your views, and Professor's inclination to stand up to your constant haranguing and insults only seemed to infuriate you further. I applaud Professor for sticking to his guns. Clearly it enraged you.

I almost never respond directly to you about anything, or about you to anybody simply because it is so unpleasant and demoralizing to have to put up with THE NEGATIVITY that comes from you. But when i am attacked, I defend myself.

I don't recall ever having a single issue with anybody on this forum, ever...except you and your insults and your snide remarks.

I enjoy discussions and debates with others that have different opinions and views than my own...I never learned a anything from someone who agreed with everything I said. But i certainly never have attacked anyone for having a different view of things than i do. And all we are generally talking about here is motorcycles (for the most part) for goodness sake!

I don't expect you to agree with me here (naturally), so if you and your fellow moderators find it so excruciating for me to be a member here, then feel free to delete my membership status. Or, if you feel like such a BMOC, just make the decision yourself.

If not, I will stay around and i will visit and respond to other's posts in any way I see fit,  and i will posts things about whatever i want to when the mood strikes me.

Too bad you can't relax and enjoy the variety a forum like this can produce.

Good day.
      "If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

Pep

• Live as long as you can, but not too long! HEF 04
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:22:20 pm »

Having gone through this with the Warrior, it's not all fun and roses. At first parts are cheap. Dealers discount them to get them off the shelves. Then one day you realize there are literally no more chrome swing arm pivot covers left. Anywhere. Then nobody wants to make exhausts for your bike, and you have like 2 options. Everyone who was giving away stock parts starts hoarding them. And your dreams of your bike being worth more and more like a '63 'Vette go up in smoke when people move on to the next bigger better thing, and you can't get half of what you paid for it, let alone all the money you put into it. Yamaha is losing lifelong customers because they've done his to several models now. If they replaced them it would be one thing, but they're not. So we're stuck with 10 year old models that nobody wants to hassle with. Mama Yama better wake up or one day all they'll have left is yuppies on '650's, and those always move on to Harleys eventually.

Rant over...

I went through the same thing with my Warrior as well. I would guess that Yamaha loses quite a few customers to HD because they support their products no matter how old they are and there usually aftermarket parts available.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:22:04 pm »
      Winter smh
      Ken
      2010 Raider/2008 FZ1 (sold)

RIP Tail dragger

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:25:11 pm »

MyRaider

• MyRaider
      • Raider
        • Sound Bite
      « Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:37:53 pm »
      Torque to ya Later...Don't Forget to click the Globe Icon on left for SOUND BITE...

BrettInAtl

• Roadliner
      « Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:40:20 pm »
      Shake My Head

MyRaider

• MyRaider
      • Raider
        • Sound Bite
      « Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:45:25 pm »
      Shake My Head

Thanks looks like I did with emoji......
      Torque to ya Later...Don't Forget to click the Globe Icon on left for SOUND BITE...