Author Topic: Backrest Conversion  (Read 798 times)

Shifter

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Backrest Conversion
« on: Apr 25, 2016, 03:52:01 pm »
So I recently picked up a passenger backrest, which I believe to be the Cobra (correct me if I'm wrong). I really want a quick release, and came across this one for one hell of a price and snatched it up thinking I could convert it into a QR. Has anybody done this that could help me out? I've done quite a bit of searching on here, to no avail. I can't seem to find the longer fender bolts separate from the QR kits, nor can I find the QR clips to attach to the backrest mount. Really hoping I can make this work without having to drop a few hundred on the kit. I'm all ears! (or eyes, since you're not actually talking lol)

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    Re: Backrest Conversion
    « Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2016, 04:05:33 pm »
    I had that same backrest and could take it off or put it back on in just a couple of minutes - loosen all four bolts then remove the two back bolts and flip the backrest forward letting is sit on the seat put the two back bolts back in - then take out the two front remove backrest and put the bolts back in- you also have to loosen the bolt that attach the two sections

Shifter

• Road Star
    « Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2016, 05:15:36 pm »
    Well that's not nearly as bad as I thought. I'll try just doing that for a bit, see how it goes. Thanks!

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2016, 05:56:13 pm »
      Well that's not nearly as bad as I thought. I'll try just doing that for a bit, see how it goes. Thanks!
      Just remember don't take all the bolts out at one time and when you reinstall make sure all bolts are tight - I put a sissy bar bag on it and after that just left it on since I used the bag more than I thought I would.

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2016, 02:52:41 am »
      RK is right, that's the fixed mount but it comes off in just a few minutes.  Not a true QR but it's close enough.  I have the same one.  I also have the QR OEM and hate it when using the saddle bags.  It makes them sit too far out from the frame.

Shifter

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2016, 08:27:41 am »
      I'm not opposed to it taking a few minutes to put it on or take it off. As long as it's not a 30 minute ordeal, it'll work for me. Just got to make sure I can keep the boss as comfortable as possible when she wants to ride  8)

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2016, 08:29:50 am »
      Ten minutes max, if you're really taking your time...  ;)

Shifter

• Road Star
      « Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2016, 08:51:58 am »
       :thumbs: