Author Topic: Oh It's A Yamaha  (Read 921282 times)

SLK

• Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Oh It's A Yamaha
« Reply #2610 on: Dec 10, 2012, 01:23:40 am »
Yamaha is the worlds largest musical instrument company.  I actually started in the 1880 making pianos and organs to sell to the western world.  During WWII they turned to manufacturing weaponry for the war effort. 
After the war they went back to making musical instruments and used the weaponry manufacturing equipment to make motorcycles.  Then eventually boradened their horizons and gave us the Raider.
Holy chit!  You started in 1880?  So that makes you... Uh..... Carry the one....  Really old!

I meant to type "it" auto correct did not catch it and neither did I.  But as for me, I am old and SLK was actually born in 1848 as the story goes.  and the climate in North Pole is conducive to living a long time, just ask any of the long time residents here especially the kids who are in their 60s.
SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Madcow

• Liquid lighting
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #2611 on: Dec 10, 2012, 01:55:55 pm »
    Yamaha is the worlds largest musical instrument company.  I actually started in the 1880 making pianos and organs to sell to the western world.  During WWII they turned to manufacturing weaponry for the war effort. 
    After the war they went back to making musical instruments and used the weaponry manufacturing equipment to make motorcycles.  Then eventually boradened their horizons and gave us the Raider.
    Holy chit!  You started in 1880?  So that makes you... Uh..... Carry the one....  Really old!

Humm hardly didnt start up until 1903.. YAMMAHAMMA IS OLDER!!! BAHAHAHAHAH Now that's something to brag about!
    "Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries." - James A. Michener
    May your road be smooth yet twisty.
    Let your mods turn all heads and torque make you thirsty.
    I hope the ride will take you to a place that makes your spirit sing.
    And put a smile on your face, for the blessings this day will bring.   Madcow 11

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    « Reply #2612 on: Dec 10, 2012, 04:58:28 pm »

Humm hardly didnt start up until 1903.. YAMMAHAMMA IS OLDER!!! BAHAHAHAHAH Now that's something to brag about!

That and I'm willing to be that they didn't have to be bailed out by the government....let alone multiple times like harley has.
    Kick Logic To The Curb!

• Advertisement

Ike42

• Raider
      « Reply #2613 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:24:02 am »
      I've been toying with the idea of getting a Yamaha acoustic guitar and having it painted like my Raider (silver with the pin-striping). That way I can get "Oh, it's a Yamaha" moments with my guitar AND my bike!

But sadly, right now I don't have any "oh" moments to contribute.  :ihntasiajptrmpc:
      Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #2614 on: Dec 11, 2012, 06:01:18 pm »
      I've been toying with the idea of getting a Yamaha acoustic guitar and having it painted like my Raider (silver with the pin-striping). That way I can get "Oh, it's a Yamaha" moments with my guitar AND my bike!

But sadly, right now I don't have any "oh" moments to contribute.  :ihntasiajptrmpc:

Acoustic?  Raider Screams for an Electric.  Get a little belt clip amp and you're good to go.
      Speaking of guitars, learning in mine is kicking my ass.

Kick Logic To The Curb!

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #2615 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:03:56 pm »
       :cop:  Ok... I'll be the first to admit that I can "stray/hijack" a topic with the best of them... but... it's time to return to the subject at hand.  :cop:

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #2616 on: Dec 12, 2012, 03:14:50 am »
      :cop:  Ok... I'll be the first to admit that I can "stray/hijack" a topic with the best of them... but... it's time to return to the subject at hand.  :cop:

hey we are talking Yamaha.  Unfortunately lately I have had no It's a Yamaha Moments.  Just may have to get a side car and do some winter riding.
      SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

Disaster Follows Me

• Road Star
      « Reply #2617 on: Jan 07, 2013, 12:58:48 pm »
      This past Summer I was out for a ride with my brother, his two sons and a friend of theirs.  We were a pretty motley looking crew.  My brother rides a Yamaha adventure bike, my nephews ride a GSX-R and a Ducati and their friend rides a dirt bike converted to street use.  We left early in the morning and did 300 miles up around Lake Tahoe and into the California Gold Country.  This was my first long trip after having moved back home from Ohio.

In Ohio, Metric riders and H-D riders give each other a hard time about their respective rides, but it's all good-natured fun.  If you see two-wheels stopped on the side of the road, you stop and make sure everyone is safe and offer assistance -- regardless of the marque on the bike.  You always give "the wave" to another rider.  With this in mind, I couldn't understand why some H-D riders here absolutely ignored us or, worse, returned "the wave" with a single finger.

I mentioned this to my brother when we stopped for dinner.  He said it was pretty bad and could never understand why I used to ride H-D.  In fact, he told me, it's so bad one of the group will go out every 10 minutes to check on the bikes to make sure no H-D riders were messing with them.  I expressed my shock and dismay, but took my turn to check on the bikes.

Sure enough, as I walked out to where we had parked, I noticed a group of H-D riders clustered around our bikes and several were drooling near my Raider on the end.  I greeted them as I walked up and they were friendly enough.  One of them told me I should be more careful parking so close to "Jap Crap."   When I asked why he told me they were planning on urinating on them and they almost included "my hog" in the festivities.  I told them to look again and one of them (perhaps the only one who could read?) finally found the Yamaha badge on my Raider.  They glared at me as they walked over to their bikes, mounted and left in a cloud of dust.

Oh, it's a Yamaha alright...and I'm damn proud of it.

I believe there's room for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #2618 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:09:55 pm »
      Met my son to play racquetball this weekend and when I arrived at the rec center I began taking off my gear in the parking lot so I could store it in my saddlebags while we played.  A couple came walking by and the guy looked at me and said "Yamaha?" and I confirmed and he just kept going while saying "Nice!".

I went inside to play a few games and came out a couple hours later and it had become dark.  So I turn on the LEDs and start gearing up.  Anothre guy is wallking up and I notice he's eyeing my Raider and then he steps back and asks what it is.  I just said "Raider". Then he got closer and started really checking it out.  I asked if he rides and he told me he has a Yamaha Roadstar. So I let him know this was a Yamaha as well.  At that point we started really talking about them.  He's just like most of us here and doesn't understand the HD mentatlity.  His father and brother both ride HDs and he said "I've offered to let them rent my Yamaha while their Harleys are in the shop for maintenance."  Then he told me how they're considering buying Yamahas for daily commuters and just keeping the HDs to have so they can claim they have HDs.  I told him once they start riding the Yamahas they probably wont ride the HDs anymore.  I let him sit on my Raider and he was surprised at the balance of the bike and how it didn't feel heavy at all. We ended up standing out there talking for a good half hour.  He was a good guy.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #2619 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:55:24 pm »
      This past Summer I was out for a ride with my brother, his two sons and a friend of theirs.  We were a pretty motley looking crew.  My brother rides a Yamaha adventure bike, my nephews ride a GSX-R and a Ducati and their friend rides a dirt bike converted to street use.  We left early in the morning and did 300 miles up around Lake Tahoe and into the California Gold Country.  This was my first long trip after having moved back home from Ohio.

In Ohio, Metric riders and H-D riders give each other a hard time about their respective rides, but it's all good-natured fun.  If you see two-wheels stopped on the side of the road, you stop and make sure everyone is safe and offer assistance -- regardless of the marque on the bike.  You always give "the wave" to another rider.  With this in mind, I couldn't understand why some H-D riders here absolutely ignored us or, worse, returned "the wave" with a single finger.

I mentioned this to my brother when we stopped for dinner.  He said it was pretty bad and could never understand why I used to ride H-D.  In fact, he told me, it's so bad one of the group will go out every 10 minutes to check on the bikes to make sure no H-D riders were messing with them.  I expressed my shock and dismay, but took my turn to check on the bikes.

Sure enough, as I walked out to where we had parked, I noticed a group of H-D riders clustered around our bikes and several were drooling near my Raider on the end.  I greeted them as I walked up and they were friendly enough.  One of them told me I should be more careful parking so close to "Jap Crap."   When I asked why he told me they were planning on urinating on them and they almost included "my hog" in the festivities.  I told them to look again and one of them (perhaps the only one who could read?) finally found the Yamaha badge on my Raider.  They glared at me as they walked over to their bikes, mounted and left in a cloud of dust.

I think I would have tried to get their plates and turn them in to the local po po.  Got no time for that kinda crap.  Its a shame that their are riders like that and worse out there. 
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ike42

• Raider
      « Reply #2620 on: Jan 07, 2013, 02:05:25 pm »

I think I would have tried to get their plates and turn them in to the local po po.  Got no time for that kinda crap.  Its a shame that their are riders like that and worse out there.

We have some HD snobs here in Texas, but they never take it that far. They just snub you and pretend you're not there, but most of them wave back. There's this one guy I always pass on my way home from work who rides a HD. For a while he would completely ignore me when I rode by (I give everyone on a motorcycle the wave without prejudice). Then one day I had the Raider stripped down with no windshield, bags or back seat and he does a double take looking at it. Ever since then he always waves. Come to think of it, though...that was also the first day I was wearing my colors after I got patched out for my M/C. So, it could just be the vest.  :shrug:
      Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive.

Disaster Follows Me

• Road Star
      « Reply #2621 on: Jan 07, 2013, 02:13:54 pm »

We have some HD snobs here in Texas, but they never take it that far. They just snub you and pretend you're not there, but most of them wave back. There's this one guy I always pass on my way home from work who rides a HD. For a while he would completely ignore me when I rode by (I give everyone on a motorcycle the wave without prejudice). Then one day I had the Raider stripped down with no windshield, bags or back seat and he does a double take looking at it. Ever since then he always waves. Come to think of it, though...that was also the first day I was wearing my colors after I got patched out for my M/C. So, it could just be the vest.  :shrug:

Capt, you're right.  I should have turned them over to the locals.  I was just so stunned that a group of riders would even think about doing that to another bike.  We're all familiar with the First Commandment (Thou shalt NOT touch another man's ride).  It was just pure luck I walked out before they had a chance to grab their zippers.

Biker, count yourself fortunate in Texas.  Of course, down there you guys embrace being an individual.  Some of the folks around Northern Cali are far happier being part of the flock which tends to explain why they were riding H-D.

I believe there's room for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #2622 on: Jan 07, 2013, 03:33:42 pm »

Capt, you're right.  I should have turned them over to the locals.  I was just so stunned that a group of riders would even think about doing that to another bike.  We're all familiar with the First Commandment (Thou shalt NOT touch another man's ride).  It was just pure luck I walked out before they had a chance to grab their zippers.

Biker, count yourself fortunate in Texas.  Of course, down there you guys embrace being an individual.  Some of the folks around Northern Cali are far happier being part of the flock which tends to explain why they were riding H-D.

Lucky that's all they were trying to do.  There was a time when I was in AZ that HD guys would knife your seat or cut your spark plug wire.  Sucky times.  I rode HD then and I just shook my head at it all.

Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #2623 on: Jan 07, 2013, 03:46:51 pm »

Lucky that's all they were trying to do.  There was a time when I was in AZ that HD guys would knife your seat or cut your spark plug wire.  Sucky times.  I rode HD then and I just shook my head at it all.

Serious?  I can't say I've ever come across that kind of attitude. Most HD guys I come across have a pretty much "live, let live".

mddrummer911

• 2014 ROM Winner
      • Warrior
      « Reply #2624 on: Jan 07, 2013, 04:09:18 pm »
      most HD guys i know dont know what a spark plug wire is, let alone where to find it to cut.....just sayin
      I have un plugged a few spark plug wires as a prank before to my friends that ride HD...but would never do anything that would damage it.
      Life is ten percent what happens to you, and ninety percent how you respond to it. - Lou Holtz