Author Topic: Help w/ Batwing  (Read 3788 times)

RedRaider

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Help w/ Batwing
« on: Jun 28, 2016, 11:50:13 am »
I finally got the right mounting kit, and went to put on the Batwing today. It just doesn't seem to go on as easy as I thought it would. I couldn't seem to get the mounts to line up right to make it quick release. I got it all to hook up by leaving everything loose and pushing the bushings into place on the fairing then tightening everything up, but then if I take it off I can't get it back on.

The top fork mount is at the very top of the fork tube, and there is seems  be no room for adjustment either. It's as if I need to lower the headlight a couple of inches. Plus I have to roll my handlebars back a bit, because I can't seem to adjust the fairing up any straighter.   Is there something I'm missing?  Bushings on the fork clamps are mounted forward of center, and both adjusted all the way forward (can't get it to fit any other position).  I even double checked the part#'s for the mounts and fairings and they are both correct. Maybe I just have to fiddle with it more, I just thought it would be a lot easier than it has been. Any thoughts or ideas??

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

MyRaider

• MyRaider
    • Raider
      • Sound Bite
    Re: Help w/ Batwing
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2016, 12:28:48 pm »
    I finally got the right mounting kit, and went to put on the Batwing today. It just doesn't seem to go on as easy as I thought it would. I couldn't seem to get the mounts to line up right to make it quick release. I got it all to hook up by leaving everything loose and pushing the bushings into place on the fairing then tightening everything up, but then if I take it off I can't get it back on.

The top fork mount is at the very top of the fork tube, and there is seems  be no room for adjustment either. It's as if I need to lower the headlight a couple of inches. Plus I have to roll my handlebars back a bit, because I can't seem to adjust the fairing up any straighter.   Is there something I'm missing?  Bushings on the fork clamps are mounted forward of center, and both adjusted all the way forward (can't get it to fit any other position).  I even double checked the part#'s for the mounts and fairings and they are both correct. Maybe I just have to fiddle with it more, I just thought it would be a lot easier than it has been. Any thoughts or ideas??

Red I love the look of mine , but I hate the mounting hardware I too had to roll my Handlebars backward and it is slammed all the way to top to get it on and the worst is the brackets would twist on me under 90 mph velocity, I had to put two sided tape under it to minimize the movement.

All necessary Evil's if you like the look and I do, not to mention it deflects the wind over your head exactly as advertised see diagram

Torque to ya Later...Don't Forget to click the Globe Icon on left for SOUND BITE...

Raider50

• Roadliner
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2016, 12:49:03 pm »
    What fairing? My Tsukayu brackets were perfect . are all the brackets I dentical? Post pics of brackets on forks.

• Advertisement

MyRaider

• MyRaider
      • Raider
        • Sound Bite
      « Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2016, 01:27:06 pm »
      What fairing? My Tsukayu brackets were perfect . are all the brackets I dentical? Post pics of brackets on forks.

Well because my Memphis Shades leans so far back into the bars it's a tight fit.
      Torque to ya Later...Don't Forget to click the Globe Icon on left for SOUND BITE...

RedRaider

• Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2016, 01:53:26 pm »
      It's all Memphis shades batwing.

Red I love the look of mine , but I hate the mounting hardware I too had to roll my Handlebars backward and it is slammed all the way to top to get it on and the worst is the brackets would twist on me under 90 mph velocity, I had to put two sided tape under it to minimize the movement.

All necessary Evil's if you like the look and I do, not to mention it deflects the wind over your head exactly as advertised see diagram

Yep, Mine is slammed all the way back too. It was very muggy this morning, and I only played with it about an hour. There is no adjustment to it, and as I said I'm not sure if I took it off if I could put it back on without loosening everything up again. I don't know how it deflects the wind yet...it's been pretty soggy this morning and haven't taken it for a ride. I think tomorrow I might take the fairing off and just mount the plates to the mounts and make sure they line up, and then try putting the fairing onto the plates.

HallGuy

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2016, 03:49:46 pm »
      Do you have the bottom mount spools pulled back as far as they can go, that should stand the fairing up straighter?  Mine slips off and on in seconds, but you have to everything lined up nice and straight.  I've never had the fork mounts twist or move and I hit 90 mph almost every time I ride.

RedRaider

• Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2016, 04:21:11 pm »
      Do you have the bottom mount spools pulled back as far as they can go, that should stand the fairing up straighter?  Mine slips off and on in seconds, but you have to everything lined up nice and straight.  I've never had the fork mounts twist or move and I hit 90 mph almost every time I ride.

I tried it that way, but then it doesn't seem to want to clear the headlight. Right now both sets are all the way forward.
      That's why I figure I'd try lining everything up with just the plates, and then try bolting the fairing to the plates. Maybe my expectations were more than what the reality is.  I do have the 3" extensions, but that shouldn't change the geometry as far as the batwing goes.

I'll put up some pics if I still have trouble tomorrow. Does anyone have any pics of what the mounts look like on their forks??

...and just in case there is an issue, the part#'s are 2330-0023 for the fairing, and 2321-0195 for the mounts (polished)
      « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2016, 04:47:58 pm by RedRaider »

MyRaider

• MyRaider
      • Raider
        • Sound Bite
      « Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2016, 06:56:01 pm »

I wish I had that good  fortune, but my luck I had a problem.  :shrug:

MyRaider

• MyRaider
      • Raider
        • Sound Bite

RedRaider

• Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2016, 09:23:09 pm »
      After day two of fiddling around, I got it to work nicely, and actually comes on and off within a few seconds. Unfortunately I ordered the 9" ghost spoiler windshield and it is much too tall. I'm looking through the curve (which actually is pretty good), but if I look down it's very distorted. If I lay the Batwing as flat as it can go the windshield is at nose level, where it should be...but then I have to roll the handlebars too far back, and can't adjust the mirrors (never mind getting to the ignition). I don't know if the 6.5" will do the trick, or go with the 5".  At $100 a windshield, it's an expensive trial and error.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2016, 10:23:52 pm »
      After day two of fiddling around, I got it to work nicely, and actually comes on and off within a few seconds. Unfortunately I ordered the 9" ghost spoiler windshield and it is much too tall. I'm looking through the curve (which actually is pretty good), but if I look down it's very distorted. If I lay the Batwing as flat as it can go the windshield is at nose level, where it should be...but then I have to roll the handlebars too far back, and can't adjust the mirrors (never mind getting to the ignition). I don't know if the 6.5" will do the trick, or go with the 5".  At $100 a windshield, it's an expensive trial and error.

Mite try to find one cheaper that is made for HD batwing... I think they will fit also !
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2016, 05:25:24 am »
      If the shields is to tall  just elongate the 3 mounting  slots and trim  the bottom  only take 1" at a time so you don't get to short
      Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
      Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

MyRaider

• MyRaider
      • Raider
        • Sound Bite
      « Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2016, 05:33:43 am »
      If the shields is to tall  just elongate the 3 mounting  slots and trim  the bottom  only take 1" at a time so you don't get to short

That's a GREAT idea...  I would go that route Red save some doe....

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2016, 07:56:25 am »
      If any of you guys with the Memphis shades Batwing  want a set of Memphis shades lowers  I bought a set but won't work on my Tsukayu fairing  paid $25 just want money back I pay shipping to lower 48,they are open but new dark tint
      Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
      Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

RedRaider

• Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2016, 09:59:28 am »
      If any of you guys with the Memphis shades Batwing  want a set of Memphis shades lowers  I bought a set but won't work on my Tsukayu fairing  paid $25 just want money back I pay shipping to lower 48,they are open but new dark tint
      I was actually looking into those. My only concern was the Memphis shades site didn't have a an application for the Raider, and I'm wondering if it's because they will hit the bike.

Does anyone else have these on??? 

I'm definitely interested if I know they'll fit okay!!

(and I'm gonna put the 9" ghost spoiler up for sale. $80.00)