Author Topic: 3" fork extensions (PSA)  (Read 1920 times)

Matt_Krush

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: 3" fork extensions (PSA)
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2017, 07:14:49 PM »
EDA

Riding season (around here) is quickly approaching.

Got mine ordered! Hopefully be putting them on next weekend.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2017, 11:59:27 AM by Matt_Krush »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Matt_Krush

• Road Star
    « Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2017, 07:57:08 PM »
    SpeedwaySpecialties started making the Raider Extensions this last week.
    I hope to have mine soon.

Speedway Specialty

• V Star
    « Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2017, 05:13:58 AM »
    Hey guys,
     I just finished the first pair of 2" extensions for the Raider on the lathe last night. I have started three sets each in +2" and +3", the first set of each have been spoken for. They are priced at $100 and $120 respectively. Shipping is $20 to any US territory, $30 to Canada or Mexico, and $39 for over seas. I will post pictures when they are ready to ship later today.

Eric

• Advertisement

Speedway Specialty

• V Star
      « Reply #18 on: Apr 06, 2017, 05:34:17 AM »
      Fork Tube extensions are ready to ship. I have two pair available each in +2" and +3" lengths. They are made out of Stainless Steel and are slightly domed on top to look a bit nicer than the stock hex cap.

Eric

Matt_Krush

• Road Star
      « Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2017, 05:46:05 PM »
      Got mine Saturday.
      A few minutes polishing on the bench and they shined up nice.

They installed easy, (I did use thread tape).
      Haven't had it for a ride yet, but am pleased with the look.

The dome tops are subtle. Being stainless steel there is a color disparity to chrome. I set my switchblade quick release clamp right at the 'joint' and with the wind shield installed, no one would know there are extensions on the forks (except raider owners).

Had to make a 2" drop for the brake line 'T' (must have missed that part in other peoples posts)...oh well...a M6x100 x 70mm bolt and a 2" cut-off of a 1/2" pipe...no problem.

To: Erik, Add a second hole or make it through. There are positions where the hole gets in an inconvenient position and you can't get a screw driver in there (I made due with an allen wrench but that doesn't allow for a lot of leverage).

High Pockets

• Houston Area Group
      • Warrior
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #20 on: Apr 20, 2017, 08:57:39 PM »
      Id advise yall get them chromed to match forks before install. I didn't and ended up taking them off later to be chromed.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #21 on: Apr 21, 2017, 09:24:49 AM »
      Got mine Saturday.
      A few minutes polishing on the bench and they shined up nice.

They installed easy, (I did use thread tape).
      Haven't had it for a ride yet, but am pleased with the look.

The dome tops are subtle. Being stainless steel there is a color disparity to chrome. I set my switchblade quick release clamp right at the 'joint' and with the wind shield installed, no one would know there are extensions on the forks (except raider owners).

Had to make a 2" drop for the brake line 'T' (must have missed that part in other peoples posts)...oh well...a M6x100 x 70mm bolt and a 2" cut-off of a 1/2" pipe...no problem.

To: Erik, Add a second hole or make it through. There are positions where the hole gets in an inconvenient position and you can't get a screw driver in there (I made due with an allen wrench but that doesn't allow for a lot of leverage).

I had to add the extension for the lower lines too. Only about an 1 1/4" though.

If these are anything like Bilski extensions, they won't stay shiny. I just covered mine.

Matt_Krush

• Road Star
      « Reply #22 on: Apr 25, 2017, 02:41:19 PM »
      I don't have many chrome plating services around my area anymore.
      Nearest is Detroit area or Grand Rapids and I wasn't going to wait to ride. I'll likely get that done over next winter.

200+ miles and no leaks.

Erik did a fantastic job.

Matt_Krush

• Road Star
      « Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 08:44:04 PM »
      When I bought it 2012...

2017 (with the 3" extensions)...I tried to get close to the same shot...

SilverStar

• Raider
      « Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
      Just thought I'd mention this.  When I wrecked the 09 the left fork was fine but the right tube suffered a catastrophic failure.  I had three inch extensions.  The extension bent, threads gave out, and the tube split at the top.  Keep in mind, both tubes were twisted below the bottom tree.  I went into a foot deep rut from a truck tire at about 45-50 mph.  The force was extreme and the tubes would have been destroyed with or without the extensions.  My reasons for not getting a pair for the new bike have nothing to do with the failure.  I'd trust them again if I wanted the look. I'm just not sure they helped the handling.  More precisely, I noticed distinct differences, I'm just not sure I really liked it, and I never really liked how the seat felt with the nose up.
      "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."  -  Isaac Asimov

MODS
      Yami Tall Sissy Bar
      Kury Passenger Swept Wing Pegs and Extensions
      Speedstar Drags
      Avons front and 240 rear
      Mustang 2-piece

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 10:57:01 PM »
      Just thought I'd mention this.  When I wrecked the 09 the left fork was fine but the right tube suffered a catastrophic failure.  I had three inch extensions.  The extension bent, threads gave out, and the tube split at the top.  Keep in mind, both tubes were twisted below the bottom tree.  I went into a foot deep rut from a truck tire at about 45-50 mph.  The force was extreme and the tubes would have been destroyed with or without the extensions.  My reasons for not getting a pair for the new bike have nothing to do with the failure.  I'd trust them again if I wanted the look. I'm just not sure they helped the handling.  More precisely, I noticed distinct differences, I'm just not sure I really liked it, and I never really liked how the seat felt with the nose up.

I hit a car from behind head on with my second Raider and the bottom of my forks were completely bent inward, but the extensions were just fine. I was even able to unscrew the extensions to use on my current Raider, but wasn't able to leave it because I couldn't slide the forks into place and there would've been no way to roll it onto the truck when they picked it up to haul away for good.

PC-Raider

• Roadliner
      « Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 11:19:22 PM »

Since this is a PSA thread regarding 3" extensions I thought I'd add my 2 cents to SilverStar's comment on handling.  I added 3" extensions prior to 2016 riding season.  I really liked the look of the extensions but at first I did not like the way the extensions affected the handling.  I felt like the center of gravity was slightly higher and counter steering in turns felt less natural with the nose a bit higher.  HOWEVER, after a few thousand miles, I've gotten comfortable with these differences and absolutely love not dragging my pegs as quickly when corning hard.  Bottomline, if you add extensions for the look, don't be too quick to judge the handling.  Give yourself some time to adjust.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 09:49:59 AM »

Since this is a PSA thread regarding 3" extensions I thought I'd add my 2 cents to SilverStar's comment on handling.  I added 3" extensions prior to 2016 riding season.  I really liked the look of the extensions but at first I did not like the way the extensions affected the handling.  I felt like the center of gravity was slightly higher and counter steering in turns felt less natural with the nose a bit higher.  HOWEVER, after a few thousand miles, I've gotten comfortable with these differences and absolutely love not dragging my pegs as quickly when corning hard.  Bottomline, if you add extensions for the look, don't be too quick to judge the handling.  Give yourself some time to adjust.

I was just the opposite. I immediately loved how it dived into curves more because of the extensions. Probably due to the change in the center of gravity like you mentioned.  I got used to it quick and felt weird when my new Raider didn't have them. It felt awkward to me and I could not get extensions soon enough.

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 6
      « Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 04:14:28 PM »

I was just the opposite. I immediately loved how it dived into curves more because of the extensions. Probably due to the change in the center of gravity like you mentioned.  I got used to it quick and felt weird when my new Raider didn't have them. It felt awkward to me and I could not get extensions soon enough.

I agree with how it dives into the curves but at the same time the handling of a bike with extensions is reduced over the same bike without them.  For those of you old enough, think back to the era of the choppers with the very long forks and how they would have to make a 3 point turn to go the opposite direction on a two lane road.  The longer the forks the wider the radius needed to make turns.  It's why a street bike can turn circles inside a cruiser.  It is what it is but I still love my 4" extensions...  ;D

SilverStar

• Raider
      « Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 06:09:34 PM »

I agree with how it dives into the curves but at the same time the handling of a bike with extensions is reduced over the same bike without them.  For those of you old enough, think back to the era of the choppers with the very long forks and how they would have to make a 3 point turn to go the opposite direction on a two lane road.  The longer the forks the wider the radius needed to make turns.  It's why a street bike can turn circles inside a cruiser.  It is what it is but I still love my 4" extensions...  ;D

I had them on for about 2 years and 10,000 miles. They were on when i went to Maggie Valley.  I never had any problem adjusting to them, and didn't really notice any difference at speed.  The turning radius did increase, but I was able to do most of the maneuvers on the training pad at Iron Pony.  Some were just too tight.  It scraped the pegs less which was a definite plus.  What I didn't like, I could handle it but didn't like it, was they way it was less stable at low speeds.  It tried to dive into the curves when I wanted to go straight.  I just didn't have an overwhelming wow factor after installation.  I also didn't care for the exposed line and color difference between the the forks and extensions.  I wasn't disappointed in them but I just don't have any real reason to spend the bucks again.  I'm more inclined to just get some mounts that will raise the pegs.
      "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."  -  Isaac Asimov

MODS
      Yami Tall Sissy Bar
      Kury Passenger Swept Wing Pegs and Extensions
      Speedstar Drags
      Avons front and 240 rear
      Mustang 2-piece