Author Topic: Help with your thoughts please  (Read 3166 times)

FSTTOYS

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Help with your thoughts please
« on: Apr 19, 2017, 12:32:56 pm »
Just bought a 08 Raider.  It has Cobra Speedster Exhaust Swept on it that is all.   I have seen people on here with air box mods, ecu reflash, fuel controllers ect.  I have read that the Raider stock air box and filter flow air very well, is this true?  I am thinking of adding the K&N air filter.  I am also thinking of having the ecu reflashed by Ivan, but the 350.00 price tag to do it.  Is that worth the asking price?   I am impressed with how the bike performs in its current state,  I am curious on the ecu reflash tho!  It sounds like the best thing I can do for this bike, however I live in Arizona and if I need to have the bike emissions tested will it pass?   thanks for any and all input you guys have for me.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2017, 04:17:16 pm by dreadly »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 4
      • Right A Way
    Re: HELP WITH YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE
    « Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2017, 12:45:37 pm »
    There are members here that live in AZ with the flash.  I haven't seen a post regarding failing emission tests.  I've personally never heard of an emission test for a bike.  As for the flash, it's great but I'm biased.  Since you just got the bike, ride it for a while-don't do anything.  When you're ready to do something, do it all at once.  Enjoy!
    Ken
    2010 Raider/2008 FZ1 (sold)

RIP Tail dragger

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2017, 02:20:23 pm »
    Just bought a 08 Raider.  It has Cobra Speedster Exhaust Swept on it that is all.   I have seen people on here with air box mods, ecu reflash, fuel controllers ect.  I have read that the Raider stock air box and filter flow air very well, is this true?  I am thinking of adding the K&N air filter.  I am also thinking of having the ecu reflashed by Ivan, but the 350.00 price tag to do it.  Is that worth the asking price?   I am impressed with how the bike performs in its current state,  I am curious on the ecu reflash tho!  It sounds like the best thing I can do for this bike, however I live in Arizona and if I need to have the bike emissions tested will it pass?   thanks for any and all input you guys have for me.

Emission Tests are no longer required in AZ. For a long time it was Maricopa county only and a couple of years ago that was changed. I have the flash.  While I'm not the huge advocate that a number of people on here are, I will say it does make some nice improvements.  For me the big one is how much better it rides in 1st and 2nd gears. If you hate exhaust popping, which I don't, it does eliminate it.  I miss the popping.  It did give the engine a bit more of a low rumble, which I do like. Overall, it does sound better.

Changing to a K&N is not an issue at all. I will be doing that again soon since I am on the end of my maintenance agreement.

• Advertisement

MyRaider

• MyRaider
      • Raider
        • Sound Bite
      « Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2017, 03:12:42 pm »
      Yea, we all have our pet peeve's I hated the pop corn maker no go for me.

With that said I love the Mean Machine I riding now with it's deep angry growl.
      Torque to ya Later...Don't Forget to click the Globe Icon on left for SOUND BITE...

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      Re: Help with your thoughts please
      « Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2017, 04:57:18 pm »
      If I was you I would first spend the $350 on a fuel controller then if you are not happy do the flash after... I think you'll see a bigger overall improvement for the cash spent going that route then doing the flash... I don't have the flash but for me its not a Mod worth the $$ for what I want out of the Raider and how I ride.  Good luck with whatever you decide though !
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

NOT PORK

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2017, 07:19:53 pm »
      If I was you I would first spend the $350 on a fuel controller then if you are not happy do the flash after... I think you'll see a bigger overall improvement for the cash spent going that route then doing the flash... I don't have the flash but for me its not a Mod worth the $$ for what I want out of the Raider and how I ride.  Good luck with whatever you decide though !
      is the fuel controller a hard thing to install yourself? I have installed the k&n and want to install the vance and hines 2 into 1 pipes but not sure if paying someone is going to be budget friendly for me unless it's a hard thing to do.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2017, 08:33:23 pm »
      is the fuel controller a hard thing to install yourself? I have installed the k&n and want to install the vance and hines 2 into 1 pipes but not sure if paying someone is going to be budget friendly for me unless it's a hard thing to do.

Not at all Bro, just a couple wires to hook up, the O2 wire is behind the right side frame , and the fuel injector plugs are behind right side coil cover. Can be done in 30-45mins !
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2017, 09:20:39 pm »
      So easy a caveman can do it! :poke:
      Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
      Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

PC-Raider

• Warrior
      « Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2017, 01:21:24 am »
      Hey FSTTOYS - If you want to prioritize your budget and you already have the V&H pipes, I agree with Zxdave adding a tuner will be your best next performance mod.  While I'm not going to judge Zxdave's decision to not do Ivan's flash I would encourage you to read the reviews of those who have done it.  While Ares feels the flash didn't make a huge difference to him, you'll find a huge number, including myself, that feel it made a big difference. 

Regarding your airbox, I can't comment on BAKs since I've never run one.  I have run both BAM & Ivan's brackets and while both provide a noticeable improvement over stock, I can't tell the difference.  That said, I'd go with Ivan's brackets since they're only a few bucks.  Whichever air box mod you go with, I'd upgrade to the K&N filter while you have the tank off.

Best.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2017, 06:50:53 am »
      I would not do anything just yet.  O8O
      Ken

RIP Tail dragger

MyRaider

• MyRaider
      • Raider
        • Sound Bite
      « Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2017, 07:29:40 am »
      I would not do anything just yet.  O8O

Ken, are you sure do you remember before the flash I couldn't stand it. I thought my timing was off...and I hated the pop thought I was on a Harley.

If 1% doesn't want it and 2% doesn't care either way. 97% of all Raider riders here that did it and post frequently love it.

P.S. don't quote my math but I'd say for sure Satisfaction rate is in hi 90's for Flash is easy to verify.
      Torque to ya Later...Don't Forget to click the Globe Icon on left for SOUND BITE...

MyRaider

• MyRaider
      • Raider
        • Sound Bite
      « Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2017, 07:43:03 am »
      P.S.S.

Ken, I know your just trying to protect his sanity too. I will say it doesn't need to be done the Raider is a great bike and the popping is a normal attribute of the bike.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2017, 08:17:03 am »
      I'm just saying wait a month or so.  There just may be something on the horizon.
      Ken

RIP Tail dragger

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2017, 09:44:18 am »
      I'm just saying wait a month or so.  There just may be something on the horizon.

What have you heard???

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2017, 10:07:56 am »

OK Ken... Spill the beans.  You can't just throw out a statement like this and be done with it... Makes people wonder...  ???