Author Topic: Freedom Fail  (Read 1753 times)

MA Raider

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Freedom Fail
« on: Apr 21, 2017, 01:48:12 pm »
So I finally got around to installing, or at least attempting to install my Sharp Curves yesterday afternoon and wasn't able to finish.  I ran into issues with the O2 sensor and need some help.  I thought I read in a post somewhere that it could be rerouted without splicing the wires but that seems impossible.  I wasn't anywhere near the O2 connection port when I did my dry fitting.  And looking at the pics posted in Sweat Tea Man's how to (https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=49698.0) I want to say my O2 plugs are further away from the mounting brackets than his are.  I'll take another pic when I get home to confirm.

So I have a few questions.  For those who spliced, what gauge are the wires and how did you splice them (tape, crimp, heat shrink, etc.)?  And it's a tight fit if I have to splice the wires in place.  How do you release the module from under the seat?  I couldn't figure it out and didn't want to push it.  Aside from splicing, what are my other options?  What issues will it cause leaving it disconnected or can I use a  bypass to eliminate it altogether?  I should mention I'm going without a power management unit at least for the time being.

And aside from my install issues take a look at the second pic.  I ordered these a month or so ago and didn't open the box until yesterday.  The finish on the end of one of the tips is bad so I'll have to see if I can get a replacement  >:(

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

kphudson

• Roadliner
    Re: Freedom Fail
    « Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2017, 02:51:28 pm »
    Vance and hinze makes an extension for the O2 wires.
    2012 raider SCL #432

fingertight

• Roadliner
    « Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2017, 03:42:40 pm »
    If you have an issue with the finish on the pipes DO NOT INSTALL THEM.  Likely, once they are on the bike, they won't exchange them.  At least that has been my experience with every part I have ordered.
    2008 Yamaha Raider S
    2014 MV Agusta F4RR
    1982 Suzuki GS850L

• Advertisement

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2017, 03:51:39 pm »
      If you have an issue with the finish on the pipes DO NOT INSTALL THEM.  Likely, once they are on the bike, they won't exchange them.  At least that has been my experience with every part I have ordered.
      :thumbs: By far the easiest way to extend it. Or get a PCV and you wont even need it.
      « Last Edit: Apr 21, 2017, 03:53:36 pm by Scoob »

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2017, 04:53:41 pm »
      :thumbs: By far the easiest way to extend it. Or get a PCV and you wont even need it.
      Or Ivan's flash. He disables the o2 sensor in the ecu

MA Raider

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2017, 03:03:29 pm »
      I didn't put the pipes on and plan to call them tomorrow morning.   Now I'm just wondering if I should bite the bullet and get a PCV or PowerPro.  I was hoping to delay that purchase, if needed, until after a few other upgrades.  I have no plans for an air kit or similar type mod at this point so I'm honestly hoping to do without one altogether unless the popping is really bad once the pipes are on.

MA Raider

• Road Star
      « Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2017, 06:59:51 pm »
      Does anyone have a link for this or know if V&H part #71001 works with a 14 Raider?  I saw a review which said it was meant for HD Sportsters. 

jeb6294

• Warrior
      • Referrals: 8
      « Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2017, 08:28:30 am »
      Now I'm just wondering if I should bite the bullet and get a PCV or PowerPro.  I was hoping to delay that purchase, if needed, until after a few other upgrades.v
      That's what I ended up doing...flash and PCV when I did my pipes. Figured I might as well do it all at once rather than do it piecemeal.  An air mod doesn't have to be any more expensive than a few bucks for Ivan's brackets and a little time to lose the air box lid.

MaLaYaLi

• V Star
      « Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2017, 02:31:57 pm »
      We ran into the same problem when I try to install the O2 sensors on my Freedom combat 2 into 1. My mechanic moved something down under the seat so he could get enough length to install in on the pipe. Don't ask me what, because I am moto-illiterate.

So I finally got around to installing, or at least attempting to install my Sharp Curves yesterday afternoon and wasn't able to finish.  I ran into issues with the O2 sensor and need some help.  I thought I read in a post somewhere that it could be rerouted without splicing the wires but that seems impossible.  I wasn't anywhere near the O2 connection port when I did my dry fitting.  And looking at the pics posted in Sweat Tea Man's how to (https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=49698.0) I want to say my O2 plugs are further away from the mounting brackets than his are.  I'll take another pic when I get home to confirm.

So I have a few questions.  For those who spliced, what gauge are the wires and how did you splice them (tape, crimp, heat shrink, etc.)?  And it's a tight fit if I have to splice the wires in place.  How do you release the module from under the seat?  I couldn't figure it out and didn't want to push it.  Aside from splicing, what are my other options?  What issues will it cause leaving it disconnected or can I use a  bypass to eliminate it altogether?  I should mention I'm going without a power management unit at least for the time being.

And aside from my install issues take a look at the second pic.  I ordered these a month or so ago and didn't open the box until yesterday.  The finish on the end of one of the tips is bad so I'll have to see if I can get a replacement  >:(

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2017, 02:36:32 pm »
      Does anyone have a link for this or know if V&H part #71001 works with a 14 Raider?  I saw a review which said it was meant for HD Sportsters.

this was from a current member here ... he just extended them.  Doesn't seem like a hard thing to do.

I had to extend O2 sensor wires after installing my Cobra Tri-Pro 2-1 pipe. I measured the gauge of the wire approximately with a gauge calibrated wire snipers to be about 20-22 gauge. I got some wire close to the right diameter and soldered the wires together, covered them with shrink tubing and reconnected them to the Cobra auto-tuner. It has worked fine ever since.

MA Raider

• Road Star
      « Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2017, 10:40:44 pm »
      So they won't send me a replacement shield  >:(.  I'm waiting for an email with a return shipping label and have to pack and ship back the entire exhaust.  Then I have to wait for my refund before I can order a replacement so I don't anticipate riding for a few weeks at least.  This sucks

MyRaider

• MyRaider
      • Raider
        • Sound Bite
      « Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2017, 05:20:05 am »
      So they won't send me a replacement shield  >:(.  I'm waiting for an email with a return shipping label and have to pack and ship back the entire exhaust.  Then I have to wait for my refund before I can order a replacement so I don't anticipate riding for a few weeks at least.  This sucks

If you have the cash just ordered the brand new one express mail it to frig it it's time to ride, your gonna get reimbursed anyway....Start wrenching don't wait.
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2017, 02:17:43 pm by MyRaider »
      Torque to ya Later...Don't Forget to click the Globe Icon on left for SOUND BITE...

MA Raider

• Road Star
      « Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 10:44:26 pm »
      So I received my replacement exhaust on Monday but this week and weekend were crazy so I had little free time and plan to install the pipes next weekend.  In preparation I was reviewing my install notes and had nothing noted for the exup cables.  What did you do with them?  I was also wondering if anyone used thread lock anywhere and if so what did you use, red or blue?

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 07:25:57 am »
      I didn't put the pipes on and plan to call them tomorrow morning.   Now I'm just wondering if I should bite the bullet and get a PCV or PowerPro.  I was hoping to delay that purchase, if needed, until after a few other upgrades.  I have no plans for an air kit or similar type mod at this point so I'm honestly hoping to do without one altogether unless the popping is really bad once the pipes are on.
      I have a pcv you can get cheap everything except the original box$125 shipped
      « Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:35:30 am by 69quadracer »
      Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
      Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      « Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 07:40:51 am »
      So I received my replacement exhaust on Monday but this week and weekend were crazy so I had little free time and plan to install the pipes next weekend.  In preparation I was reviewing my install notes and had nothing noted for the exup cables.  What did you do with them?  I was also wondering if anyone used thread lock anywhere and if so what did you use, red or blue?
      No thread lock used when installing mine