Author Topic: 3" fork extensions (PSA)  (Read 7189 times)

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
Re: 3" fork extensions (PSA)
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 11:57:59 am »
Hey!  Whatever works for you.  We all have different bike options we love.  The extensions are one of my top favorites.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

SilverStar

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 06:02:41 pm »
    Hey!  Whatever works for you.  We all have different bike options we love.  The extensions are one of my top favorites.

I understand and respect that.  One thing I like about these is the stainless versus the aluminum of my old ones.  I'm gonna think about this. Maybe I'll try a set of two inch and try it at about 1 1/2 inches. Anything I can do to increase peg clearance can't be all bad.
    "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."  -  Isaac Asimov

MODS
    Yami Tall Sissy Bar
    Kury Passenger Swept Wing Pegs and Extensions
    Speedstar Drags
    Avons front and 240 rear
    Mustang 2-piece

Matt_Krush

• Road Star
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 06:45:12 pm »
    See, in MI, I haven't road it since October and only had it out a few times this year...so each season it's like getting a little re-aquainted.
    So really, it's tough for me to compare the handling characteristics. To me, it feels the same as always.

What I did discover, is that I don't like the Ultimate Seat at all. Took 50 miles for me to not like it (and just under $600).
    I read where people stated it sat up up and closer to the tank, I was hoping the foot control extensions and fork extensions would counter that effect.
    Nope.
    Still feel like I am diving into the windshield.
    So I'll rebuild the factory seat and see how it goes.

• Advertisement

72mustang

• Road Star
      « Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 06:51:40 pm »
      See, in MI, I haven't road it since October and only had it out a few times this year...so each season it's like getting a little re-aquainted.
      So really, it's tough for me to compare the handling characteristics. To me, it feels the same as always.

What I did discover, is that I don't like the Ultimate Seat at all. Took 50 miles for me to not like it (and just under $600).
      I read where people stated it sat up up and closer to the tank, I was hoping the foot control extensions and fork extensions would counter that effect.
      Nope.
      I bought a Corbin Hollywood.  LOVE it.  Sits me back about an inch or two and down an inch or two,from factory.  It's also contoured so my butt fits right in.  Very very comfortable.  Don't know how it holds out to 300 mile day trips....  but so far I like it.  Way more comfortable than stock.

MyRaider

• MyRaider
      • Raider
        • Sound Bite
      « Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 06:52:11 pm »

Nope.

Seat still in good shape & did you get the backrest?
      Torque to ya Later...Don't Forget to click the Globe Icon on left for SOUND BITE...

Matt_Krush

• Road Star
      « Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 07:23:18 pm »
      Seat is perfect, no backrest. Just bought the driver and passenger set.

MyRaider

• MyRaider
      • Raider
        • Sound Bite
      « Reply #36 on: May 17, 2017, 07:29:09 pm »
      Seat is perfect, no backrest. Just bought the driver and passenger set.

Well I'm short  maybe it will work for me PM if you want to sell.
      Torque to ya Later...Don't Forget to click the Globe Icon on left for SOUND BITE...

NOT PORK

• Road Star
      « Reply #37 on: May 17, 2017, 08:28:23 pm »
      Dumb question time......... What do the fork extensions do and what is the level of difficulty with the install of this product? :-\

SilverStar

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #38 on: May 17, 2017, 10:51:31 pm »
      Dumb question time......... What do the fork extensions do and what is the level of difficulty with the install of this product? :-\

Easy install, but a bike jack/lift helps a lot.  Loosen triple trees where they clamp to the tubes.  Remove the cap screws at the top of the tubes.  Remove the O-rings and put them on the extensions.  Wrap the extensions with teflon thread tape and screw the extensions into the tubes.  Snug them good and tight with large Channel lock pliers.  Remove the brake line block from its bracket.  Slide the tubes down to where you want them, make sure they're even, and tighten the triple trees.  When you have time make an extension and get a longer bolt to secure the brake line block.  I believe there is enough slack in the brake lines to go an inch and a half without worrying about the brake lines, but more than that and the block has to move.  Takes about a half hour moving slowly and deliberately.  Plus time to make the brake block extension.  I got lazy and never did make the extension for the brake line block, it was just hanging, but never had a problem in 10000 miles.
      « Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:55:49 pm by SilverStar »
      "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."  -  Isaac Asimov

MODS
      Yami Tall Sissy Bar
      Kury Passenger Swept Wing Pegs and Extensions
      Speedstar Drags
      Avons front and 240 rear
      Mustang 2-piece

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #39 on: May 18, 2017, 10:51:59 am »
      First time I installed extension, I needed help from my wife to hold the wheel down.  Eventually I got good enough that I could just rock it a little on the jack and could do the whole thing on my own. The extensions I bought have a hole that goes through the top, so you stick a large screwdriver through to tighten and don't need channel locks. I like this better as there's no way to score/scratch the extensions. But it's probably a moot point since that part is hidden in the triple trees and can't be seen anyway.

Matt_Krush

• Road Star
      « Reply #40 on: May 18, 2017, 08:32:20 pm »
      The ones from Speedway Specialty, he had the hole drilled only half way through (I suggested to him to make them through holes).
      So with that in mind...it would line up to spots you couldn't use the screw-driver...I improvised with a large Allen wrench until I could get the screw-driver back in for full tightening.

On a jack I needed no help...took the bolt out of the brake line 'tee' and with the triple tree loosened off and the blinkers loosened...gently tapped each side down little by little till the tops were flush.

I used a 2" x 1/2" OD pipe and a longer metric bolt to make a stand off for the brake line tee. Its secured and hidden by the fork bag.