Author Topic: how much $ for a 16k mile service?  (Read 439 times)

azsportpilot

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: how much $ for a 16k mile service?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 10:43:59 AM »
There are three basic methods of adjusting valve lash.

1)   screw adjuster:. The simplest and most common. It's been around for a long time and works just fine.
2)   Shim & Bucket:…this method involves shimming the valves. The shims are secured by a bucket-shaped tappet or lifter, adjustment is more complicated
3)   hydraulic lifter:… The third type of adjuster is the hydraulic lifter, which normally requires no routine inspection or adjustment.

The Raider seems to use a hybrid combination of method 1 and 3 combined

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

fingertight

• Road Star
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 11:29:10 AM »

1)   screw adjuster:. The simplest and most common. It's been around for a long time and works just fine.
    2)   Shim & Bucket:…this method involves shimming the valves. The shims are secured by a bucket-shaped tappet or lifter, adjustment is more complicated
    3)   hydraulic lifter:… The third type of adjuster is the hydraulic lifter, which normally requires no routine inspection or adjustment.

In looking at the schematic it appears it is a hybrid of some kind.  There are two valve adjusters on each cylinder and only two.  My guess is since there are only two pushrods per cylinder, one set of valves is adjusted by the hydraulic lifter and the other needs to be adjust periodically at the valve.  I don't know...I'm guessing here.   
    2008 Yamaha Raider S
    2014 MV Agusta F4RR
    1982 Suzuki GS850L

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
    • SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 6
    « Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »

In looking at the schematic it appears it is a hybrid of some kind.  There are two valve adjusters on each cylinder and only two.  My guess is since there are only two pushrods per cylinder, one set of valves is adjusted by the hydraulic lifter and the other needs to be adjust periodically at the valve.  I don't know...I'm guessing here.

That is correct, one in each cylinder is hydraulic and the other is not and needs periodic adjustment.  The published time frame is 16K miles but many here have not had to do it for 50K+.  Each bike is going to be different dependent on how hard the owner rides the bike.  IIRC Ares X never had to have it done on his first Raider and I think he had over 69K.  He must ride like a little old lady...  :rotfl:   :poke:

• Advertisement

RangerRick

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 07:59:21 PM »

That is correct, one in each cylinder is hydraulic and the other is not and needs periodic adjustment.  The published time frame is 16K miles but many here have not had to do it for 50K+.  Each bike is going to be different dependent on how hard the owner rides the bike.  IIRC Ares X never had to have it done on his first Raider and I think he had over 69K.  He must ride like a little old lady...  :rotfl:   :poke:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
      2009 Raider XV19CYS
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010