Author Topic: Is the OEM Air Filter Disposable K&N?  (Read 263 times)

jeb6294

• Roadliner
  • Referrals: 7
Is the OEM Air Filter Disposable K&N?
« on: May 18, 2017, 01:07:51 PM »
Since my ECU is on its way to Ivan, and I'm probably going to go ahead and move the gas tank to unwrap my PCV when I get it back, I was going to go ahead and replace the air filter while I was under there.

I looked it up in the owner's manual trying to find a part number.  There's no part number, but the specs say the air filter is an "Oil-coated paper element".  K&N is cotton, but does that mean the OEM filter is basically the same thing with a paper element?  If you look at them, the OEM even looks a lot like the K&N with that red color.

There have been enough tests out there showing that paper filters are actually better/more effective so I wanted to get one of those, but now I'm wondering if there even is such a thing.  If that's the case, then I suppose I might as well get the K&N.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:14:44 PM by jeb6294 »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
    • SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 6
    Re: Is the OEM Air Filter Disposable K&N?
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 01:36:36 PM »
    The OEM, it's oil coated and you don't reuse it, the K&N is oil coated and you do reuse it.  I would say that, yes, the OEM is a disposable K&N.  Unless anyone can tell me differently that's my guess...  ;D

fingertight

• Road Star
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 01:50:06 PM »
    Since my ECU is on its way to Ivan, and I'm probably going to go ahead and move the gas tank to unwrap my PCV when I get it back, I was going to go ahead and replace the air filter while I was under there.

I looked it up in the owner's manual trying to find a part number.  There's no part number, but the specs say the air filter is an "Oil-coated paper element".  K&N is cotton, but does that mean the OEM filter is basically the same thing with a paper element?  If you look at them, the OEM even looks a lot like the K&N with that red color.

There have been enough tests out there showing that paper filters are actually better/more effective so I wanted to get one of those, but now I'm wondering if there even is such a thing.  If that's the case, then I suppose I might as well get the K&N.

They are going to look similar because they have to have the same dimensions to fit and all filters are corrugated.  Probably just coincidence they are both red.  I've read the tests and I'm certainly not educated enough on the subject to say they are wrong or misleading on either side.  Opening up the air flow is why you need Ivan's flash or at least how you get the most from it.  I don't think our Raiders are high perf enough to really matter what type filter you use.  Although, if they are open filters, like with a BAK, you need a cotton oiled filter.  Paper can collapse if it gets wet.  IMHO, oiled cotton or paper is more of a personal preference if your using the stock or modified stock intake where water is not a factor.
    2008 Yamaha Raider S
    2014 MV Agusta F4RR
    1982 Suzuki GS850L

• Advertisement

jeb6294

• Roadliner
      « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 02:46:28 PM »
      I can't remember where I first saw it, but this page is the one that stuck with me the most, even though it is an article from 8 years ago on a Nissan car club website.  They didn't seem to have any agenda for proving one filter better than another and everything seemed to be backed up with data.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

To be honest, the internet is a big place, I'm sure there are just as many studies showing that K&N filters are better than paper.  Since this is the one I was steered to at one point, I was going to go with a paper filter.  If there is no such animal and I'm getting an oiled filter no matter what, then it seems to make more sense to get the K&N so at least it can be cleaned and reused.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 18
      « Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 02:48:31 PM »
      Element, Air Cleaner
      1D7-14461-00-00

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
      The K&N is YA-1906

jeb6294

• Roadliner
      « Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 06:45:47 PM »
      Was able to find both. Seems like the standard rate is ~$25 for the OEM and ~$55 for the K&N unless anybody knows of someplace with a better deal.

azsportpilot

• V Star
      « Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 07:08:48 PM »
      the Ivan's "air intake kit" adds 3.5 horsepower and costs just $71.... and includes the K&N filter!

looks like it does this by eliminating the airbox cover

that's $20.28 per HP added.... you can not buy HP any cheaper than that

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/raiderbox.htm

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:11:55 PM by azsportpilot »

sscottab

• Road Star
      « Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 05:13:30 AM »
      i just got the air filter and bracket kit from ivan it is a clean setup and comes with the k&n filter. iam glad i went this rout then the pods

jeb6294

• Roadliner
      « Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 08:22:58 AM »
      I just went ahead and ordered the K&N from Amazon.  Already had an $18 credit from reward points and the wife's Prime account got me free 2-day shipping so it was down to ~$40.

Thought I'd found a nice deal at Advance Auto...25% off coupon code...but they wouldn't do the free store pickup so by the time you added in shipping it was back to $52.