Author Topic: More gas in tank, sitting upright or sidestand?  (Read 530 times)

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
Re: More gas in tank, sitting upright or sidestand?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
As for filling the tank on the stand or on level I don't think the difference is so significant as to be necessary where you live.  However in Alaska with some gas stops being in excess of 100 miles apart I will stuff as much in as I can because enough for 2 or 3 more miles can make a difference.

Can't you just post a stake in the ground and oil will spurt out?  Make your own fuel.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
    • SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 6
    « Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 03:50:06 PM »
    As for filling the tank on the stand or on level I don't think the difference is so significant as to be necessary where you live.  However in Alaska with some gas stops being in excess of 100 miles apart I will stuff as much in as I can because enough for 2 or 3 more miles can make a difference.

Can't you just post a stake in the ground and oil will spurt out?  Make your own fuel.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: They do have just a bit of oil up there...  ;D

Dudeman

• SEA-ROAR
    • Roadliner
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »
    Imagine if it vibrated the kickstand bolt right and kick stand right off, what might happen of RKs new ride vibrated that much :rolleyes: :yikes:

He'd have more lady passengers for sure.
    Sent from my TRS-80 using BASIC

• Advertisement

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 07:11:23 PM »

Not really.  Depending on where you at either the federal government owns 100%, 90%, or 50% of the oil the rest belongs to the state of Alaska.  By the time you got the permission to buy the oil and refine it my yet to come great grand children from my not even teenage grandkids would be grandparents.  Besides with all the federal  EPA people looking over everyone's shoulder up here you would be in prison before you could even plead not guilty.
      SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 18
      « Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 08:21:35 PM »
      Imagine if it vibrated the kickstand bolt right and kick stand right off, what might happen of RKs new ride vibrated that much :rolleyes: :yikes:

Someone asked me if I had to do anything special to keep my leg on when riding
      "I put blue Loctite on my nuts"
       "Does that help keep it on?"
       "Don't know I just like the way it feel"

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 10:55:29 PM »

Is there a reason why you use blue instead of red?
      SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 6
      « Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 05:24:52 AM »

If he wants to change his mind with the blue he can remove it with just his bare hands...  ;D  With the red it gonna take a lot of heat and that's gonna be a bad thing...  :o

Badbluraider

• Road Star
      « Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 07:27:25 AM »
      I always fill on the stand - didn't use to back years ago - nothing like riding around with a crotch covered with gas.

There's a lot of gas stations between Fenton and Tulsa https://goo.gl/QTE7HT
      :agree: Already got stops mapped, mile marker 186, 77 and 4(Rolla, Springfiled and Joplin) should not be an issue. Think I might have had the fuel light on once in the 130 mile range but several times between 100-125 and no light. Of course I usually fill up betweeen 80-100. A little OCD ;D

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 18
      « Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 08:24:38 AM »

If he wants to change his mind with the blue he can remove it with just his bare hands...  ;D  With the red it gonna take a lot of heat and that's gonna be a bad thing...  :o
      Never had so many people worried about my nuts before

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 05:41:18 AM »
      I am sure some of you guys know the answer on this but I am taking my bike to Tulsa next weekend and usually just fill up with it on sidestand. I want to get as much in the tank as possible so what is the consensus?

Thanks to all!!
      On a side note.....there are some here (I'm one of them) that believe running the fuel out to often to where the low fuel light comes on and fuel pump issues are related. The fuel helps cool the pump, so I have been told.

Badbluraider

• Road Star
      « Reply #25 on: May 27, 2017, 07:04:33 AM »
      I am sure some of you guys know the answer on this but I am taking my bike to Tulsa next weekend and usually just fill up with it on sidestand. I want to get as much in the tank as possible so what is the consensus?

Thanks to all!!
      On a side note.....there are some here (I'm one of them) that believe running the fuel out to often to where the low fuel light comes on and fuel pump issues are related. The fuel helps cool the pump, so I have been told.
      :agree: Have only seen my fuel light on once in 7800 miles.
      « Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 07:17:48 AM by Badbluraider »

jeb6294

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #26 on: May 27, 2017, 08:47:55 AM »
      Once my tripmeter starts getting up to about 120 miles, I start looking for a gas station no matter what the gauge says. Better safe than sorry.

Pastor Jay

• Road Star
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #27 on: May 27, 2017, 08:54:14 AM »
      Blu, I had a Honda VTX before the raider. The fill tank opening was in the center of the tank so I always filled it sitting on it to max it out. When I got my raider I did the same but found, at least in my experience, that because the fill opening is off to the right I could get more fuel into it while leaning left on the stand. makes sense to me.
      The most important step in your life is the one you are taking right now.