Custom Raider

Author Topic: So what happened to you while riding?  (Read 33185 times)

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
Re: So what happened to you while riding?
« Reply #285 on: Nov 26, 2012, 12:40:33 PM »
Had a bit of a scare yesterday...  I was heading back home after playing a couple of games of racquetball with my son.  I had left my liner in my jacket even though it was 80+ out because I was being lazy and didn't want to mess with removing it or the splitter cable that goes from the bottom of my jacket and up each sleeve for my heated gloves.  I just rode with my jacket open.  So I'm riding along and something gets my attention off to my side and I realize the cable has slipped out of my right sleeve and was caught on something.  I immediately pull over. Getting off the bike was a task since I had a cable caught that was limiting my movement, but I managed to slip out of my jacket.  I look down and was freaked out.  The cable had slipped out from my right arm and dropped down and wrapped around the back axil and was stuck between the belt guard and the belt itself just flapping around.  This could've gone so bad.  So I removed the cable and the jacket liner and took it home.  I managed to ding up the jack to the cable to where it's a little tight trying to connect to the glove, but considering how bad this could've gone, I'm very happy with it.  Worse case I buy a new $15 cable.

I will now be doing something to secure the cable to the sleeve so there's no chance of this happening again.

Get the Gerbing heated liner.  it comes with plugs for the gloves sewn in.  No chance of that ever happening again.  I know you said before you werent interested in the liner, but I'm tellin ya man, its soooo nice.

Not true.  I'm very interested in it.  We were supposed to ride to a cycle shop that carries the Gerbing line here locally last Friday, but my wife ended up sick and we had to blow it off.   I just need to verify size before ordering and then make sure I have the money for it. The wife needs heated gloves too.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Nov 26, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Had a bit of a scare yesterday...  I was heading back home after playing a couple of games of racquetball with my son.  I had left my liner in my jacket even though it was 80+ out because I was being lazy and didn't want to mess with removing it or the splitter cable that goes from the bottom of my jacket and up each sleeve for my heated gloves.  I just rode with my jacket open.  So I'm riding along and something gets my attention off to my side and I realize the cable has slipped out of my right sleeve and was caught on something.  I immediately pull over. Getting off the bike was a task since I had a cable caught that was limiting my movement, but I managed to slip out of my jacket.  I look down and was freaked out.  The cable had slipped out from my right arm and dropped down and wrapped around the back axil and was stuck between the belt guard and the belt itself just flapping around.  This could've gone so bad.  So I removed the cable and the jacket liner and took it home.  I managed to ding up the jack to the cable to where it's a little tight trying to connect to the glove, but considering how bad this could've gone, I'm very happy with it.  Worse case I buy a new $15 cable.

I will now be doing something to secure the cable to the sleeve so there's no chance of this happening again.
Yikes  :o
Thnings like that are never fun to deal with.  I hate having equipment problems.  I had an HD Jacket fail years ago and and it wasn't a fun experience.  Had the jacket open up on me while doing 85mph and acted like a parachute.  I wasn't ready for it and it almost pulled my hands off the bars.  So in heavy traffic I had to make an emergency stop on the shoulder while trying not to lose my jacket.  Last time I wore that one.

This wasn't poor design by the company. It was just my own stupidity for not securing it within my jacket.  I had the bottom of the line secured, but not the lines in the sleeves.   This will not happen again. I can tell you that.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Nov 26, 2012, 02:00:34 PM »
Decided to ride the bike for lunch...heading down a four lane divided street.... I was in the left lane and there is a car in the same lane coming at me...there were no other cars beside me so I whipped over to the right hand shoulder and watched the guy go by...I watched the guy in my mirror and after a couple blocks and running some other cars off the road he made a left turn....and people wonder why I just want to shoot someone sometimes.
Microtel Inn and Suites Maggie Valley
3777 U.S. 19, Maggie Valley, NC ‎
(828) 926-8554       Booking code: "Raider Rally"

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: Nov 26, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »
Decided to ride the bike for lunch...heading down a four lane divided street.... I was in the left lane and there is a car in the same lane coming at me...there were no other cars beside me so I whipped over to the right hand shoulder and watched the guy go by...I watched the guy in my mirror and after a couple blocks and running some other cars off the road he made a left turn....and people wonder why I just want to shoot someone sometimes.

Glad you're okay.

I saw this happen once. A little old women in some huge sedan like an LTD was driving down the wrong side of the road. You could barely see her head peaking out from under the steering wheel.  Cars were swerving like mad and she had no idea anything was wrong.

RangerRick

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: Nov 26, 2012, 08:31:37 PM »

Thank goodness your OK and did not end up like this poor guy

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJuqIdnUhq4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJuqIdnUhq4</a>
2009 Raider XV19CYS
ANG Member 25 years
Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: Nov 26, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »
An angel was watching over this guy (originally posted by a MN radio station)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niuC3WyQwhY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niuC3WyQwhY</a>
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:32:54 AM »

Thank goodness your OK and did not end up like this poor guy

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJuqIdnUhq4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJuqIdnUhq4</a>

That was the EXACT video that went through my head when I saw where the cable was caught.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:33:40 AM »
An angel was watching over this guy (originally posted by a MN radio station)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niuC3WyQwhY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niuC3WyQwhY</a>

Anytime I see someone transporting a mattress, I move out of their path and get around them as soon as possible.

Wout67

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
y'ever have near misses?
« Reply #293 on: Nov 27, 2012, 05:05:46 PM »
I've always thought that sportbikes give you a better riding posture to prepare for the unexpected.

Sadly, my knees can't take it anymore. I'm looking forward to getting onto something more comfortable, but am a little concerned about the ability to swerve, brake hard, etc. should something happen while riding.

Have any of you ran into a situation while riding your Raider and had to react quickly? How did the bike / your riding posture handle it?

Thanks!

Wout.

Darthraider

• Road Star
    • View Profile
Re: y'ever have near misses?
« Reply #294 on: Nov 27, 2012, 05:27:26 PM »
The Raider is no sportbike,but it is better than a dresser.M109's you really have to think about corners,I'm really happy with my Raider.It just really smooth in hard corners,and it don't wobble and stuff when your on it hard in corners.Have'nt really had no near miss'es,but it responds well when you turn.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: Nov 27, 2012, 05:48:17 PM »
IMO the raider brakes, and swerves much better than most of the big cruisers out there (the warrior might be better though).  THe raider has very predictable handling (surprising in a power cruiser).  The only time I've been surprised by it is if I brake the rear wheel lose starting out on a corner or if I raise the front end...both due to me screwing around too much.

If you do lock up the rear, or have a blow out the raider is very capable of riding it out.

Due yourself a big favor though.  If you get one ask to upgrade the rear tire to the AVON 240 Cobra or Venom before you even take the bike off the showroom floor.  Most dealers will give you a credit for that awful metzler tire (do a search on here about that tire and you'll see why).  Terms like reverse tread, slipping in the wet, and poor mileage will get you the answers you want.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: Nov 27, 2012, 06:11:56 PM »
The raider is what you want. I have had several bikes in the past i have bought sold or traded . (honda shadow 600, gsxr1000,suzuki bandit 1200, suzuki 805, vtx 1300, meanstreak 1600 and the raider.The Raider is by far to me the best power cruiser. It dont have the takeoff that a crotch rocket has . But you can make up some of that difference with belts. The only problem i had with the Raider was the lifters . But that was a common problem. You dont feel like it is pushin you . Feels like it wants to fall into curves.
I can vouch for the sorry 210. I hated that thing. It wore out way to fast . And didnt have near the grip the avon has. I agree with capt_zoom. Go ahead and get the 240 and be done with that one.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

jim

• Raider
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: Nov 27, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »
If you go through the threads you will find varying thought on the rear tire... anywhere from 3500 up to 8-9000... I got 12k on my rear so I would
think that many factors will have to be taken into concideration for tire durability. I find that if you have some good riding experience you will find that this beast handles and responds pretty good in a butt pucker situation....M2C 

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong."

Wout67

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:12:24 PM »
Thanks for the input, guys...

I'd still love to hear about someone having an "oh sh*t" moment and how the bike performed.

SLK

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Nov 27, 2012, 10:04:37 PM »
the Raider has very good stopping power and as far as flickability there are bikes with more but the raider does a very good job of avoiding moose on the road.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2012, 12:13:23 AM by SLK »
SLK   I ride a Yamaha Star  Motorcycle or I ride nothing at all.