Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: So what happened to you while riding?  (Read 35589 times)

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: y'ever have near misses?
« Reply #315 on: Nov 29, 2012, 10:05:11 AM »
I forgot about my best one.  Went into a cub in Robbinsdale MN.  When I go to leave I make my left onto cubs little drive way.  I have a car approaching me in the right lane, also one entering in front of me in my lane.  Suddenly I almost get shot over the handlebars of the bike.  Yep I rode through an open manhole cover.  I get I somehow don't wreck and when I get home (a few blocks away) I examine the bike (which I've had for about a month).  No damage to the wheels or tires, no scapes on the underside frame somehow.  The only damage was from my foot denting the stock exhaust when I came back down.  Just to be safe i had a dealer check out the frame...no damage.  Major holy crap moment. 

So I contact cub about this and they check it out.  The mgr is like "wow" I'm glad I didn't hit that with my sporty...it would have eaten my bike.  Cub offers to pay for all the damages.  Don't think at the time they realized that the stock exhaust is nearly 4k.  So I get a nice check and it allows me to buy a new exhaust, PCV, and more.

All ended up good...but man what a ride.  Never thought I'd nearly go over the bars on a cruiser.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
Re: So what happened to you while riding?
« Reply #316 on: Nov 29, 2012, 10:11:22 AM »
Yesterday was just NOT my day...

I get all the way to the grocery store about a mile and a half from my house and grab what I need.  I leave the parking lot and wait at a light.  As I get going I leave everyone else behind me ad riding in the far left lane. There is one vehicle ahead of me in the far right lane turning into a golf course. At the same time there is a vehicle waiting to make a left out of the golf course and not proceeding until that other car starts to make his turn.  I'm watching and thinking "This guy is going to bolt out as soon as that car starts to turn and he's not going to see me."   Sure enough that's exactly what he did. I slowed way down and laid on my horn. I wasn't in any real danger only because I had anticipated his stupidity. The idiot stops half way out into the lanes.  I gave him a nice friendly gesture so he knew how I felt about his driving and proceeded.

Why do people move into traffic when there's still something blocking their view?

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: Nov 29, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »
I forgot about my best one.  Went into a cub in Robbinsdale MN.  When I go to leave I make my left onto cubs little drive way.  I have a car approaching me in the right lane, also one entering in front of me in my lane.  Suddenly I almost get shot over the handlebars of the bike.  Yep I rode through an open manhole cover.  I get I somehow don't wreck and when I get home (a few blocks away) I examine the bike (which I've had for about a month).  No damage to the wheels or tires, no scapes on the underside frame somehow.  The only damage was from my foot denting the stock exhaust when I came back down.  Just to be safe i had a dealer check out the frame...no damage.  Major holy crap moment. 

So I contact cub about this and they check it out.  The mgr is like "wow" I'm glad I didn't hit that with my sporty...it would have eaten my bike.  Cub offers to pay for all the damages.  Don't think at the time they realized that the stock exhaust is nearly 4k.  So I get a nice check and it allows me to buy a new exhaust, PCV, and more.

All ended up good...but man what a ride.  Never thought I'd nearly go over the bars on a cruiser.

About 2-3 years ago there was a rash of manhole covers being stolen in Phoenix and I always wondered what would happen if I went over the hole. I really hope to never find out if I handle it as well as you did.

Lrdofh8

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: Nov 29, 2012, 10:18:10 AM »

I get all the way to the grocery store about a mile and a half from my house and grab what I need.  I leave the parking lot and wait at a light.  As I get going I leave everyone else behind me ad riding in the far left lane. There is one vehicle ahead of me in the far right lane turning into a golf course. At the same time there is a vehicle waiting to make a left out of the golf course and not proceeding until that other car starts to make his turn.  I'm watching and thinking "This guy is going to bolt out as soon as that car starts to turn and he's not going to see me."   Sure enough that's exactly what he did. I slowed way down and laid on my horn. I wasn't in any real danger only because I had anticipated his stupidity. The idiot stops half way out into the lanes.  I gave him a nice friendly gesture so he knew how I felt about his driving and proceeded.

Why do people move into traffic when there's still something blocking their view?

You might as well ask why IQ tests aren't part of the driver's license test.  :-\

This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me facing the enemy.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: Nov 29, 2012, 10:25:50 AM »

You might as well ask why IQ tests aren't part of the driver's license test.  :-\

You know, that would make sooooo much sense.

If people had to take IQ tests before getting a drivers license or procreating the world could be such a better place.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Nov 29, 2012, 10:40:17 AM »

About 2-3 years ago there was a rash of manhole covers being stolen in Phoenix and I always wondered what would happen if I went over the hole. I really hope to never find out if I handle it as well as you did.

Its definitely something I never want to go through again.  Still can't believe I didn't wreck.  On a smaller bike or even a big HD that isn't as stretched out, I don't think I would have kept it upright.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: Nov 29, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »

Its definitely something I never want to go through again.  Still can't believe I didn't wreck.  On a smaller bike or even a big HD that isn't as stretched out, I don't think I would have kept it upright.

You might just be under estimating your abilities. 
I say you go out and rent a Harley and try it.   
Let us know how that works out for ya....   :rotfl: 

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: Nov 29, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »

PASS!!!

Plus, you know a Harley's not going make it.

tice

• AZ Group
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: Nov 29, 2012, 10:53:49 AM »

You know, that would make sooooo much sense.

If people had to take IQ tests before getting a drivers license or procreating the world could be such a better place.
.   :agree: X100. There are some people out there that should never have a license!!!!!!!!! Not saying Im the best driver or rider on the planet, but I do have a spotless record.  ;D

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »

I'll definitely pass on that.  If I had a bike with less rake I think it would have bent the forks and tossed me over for sure.  I did some rough calculations after it happened I I think the front suspension was at just the right rake to take the impact and ride through.  I will say this though...once you have something like that happen it really raises your confidence in what the bike can handle for bumps and potholes which was nice since the bike was relatively new to me.

Kick Logic To The Curb!

Pale_Rider

• Road Star
    • View Profile
y'ever have near misses?
« Reply #325 on: Nov 29, 2012, 12:33:22 PM »
I ha a small moment just last week. I was riding to a Thanksgiving dinner on a very curvy back road in southern MS. I can over a hill around a curve and a massive pothole took up nearly the entire right side of the road.  But, the Raider handled it like a charm.  A quick brake and a swerve and I was around it no problem.  As I said, nothing serious, but the handling was spot on.  Much better than my old VTX would have handled it. 
If you ain't riding, you ain't living.

Pale_Rider

• Road Star
    • View Profile
So what happened to you while riding?
« Reply #326 on: Nov 29, 2012, 12:47:02 PM »
My wife and I were riding the bike to my parents house one day to visit.  I tend to ride the speed limit but occasionally I'll get up and go.  This day I was doing the limit and was preparing to turn when a car full of kids and an adult driver started yelling obscenities.  They had been following me and apparently didn't like the fact that I try to be a law abiding person.   I stopped in the middle of the road and had to regain my composure before riding off.  Things like that make my blood boil.  Had my wife not been with me I probably would have let them know my displeasure.  Same day there was a guy driving down the road and sprayed me with his washer fluid.  I assumed it was intentional but it could have been accidental. Still made me quite unhappy with the caged breed that day. 
If you ain't riding, you ain't living.

distantThunder

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: Nov 29, 2012, 01:44:46 PM »
Cap Zoom ...  "Standoff with buffalo.  Nearly Getting charged by Buffalo"

Remember to respect ancient traditions - especially around Black Hills and Mt Rushmore.
You don't want the spirit of dead Crazy Horse to come and haunt you, do you??
Always kill the buffalo with a bow and arrow.

It's OK if you do it from your Raider, though.

HAHAHAHA!!!

dT

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: Nov 29, 2012, 01:54:02 PM »
This thread is starting to sound a lot like like these posts belong on the other thread - "So what happened to you while riding?"

I'm thinking of merging the two.... any objections? 

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: Nov 29, 2012, 02:15:02 PM »
This thread is starting to sound a lot like like these posts belong on the other thread - "So what happened to you while riding?"

I'm thinking of merging the two.... any objections?

I was thinking the same thing, but since the member that started it was new and unaware of the other one, I kind of left it alone.

I don't have any objections with merging the two.