Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: So what happened to you while riding?  (Read 41244 times)

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: y'ever have near misses?
« Reply #330 on: Nov 29, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »
This thread is starting to sound a lot like like these posts belong on the other thread - "So what happened to you while riding?"

I'm thinking of merging the two.... any objections?

I was thinking the same thing, but since the member that started it was new and unaware of the other one, I kind of left it alone.

I don't have any objections with merging the two.

Done...    ;D

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: y'ever have near misses?
« Reply #331 on: Nov 29, 2012, 04:23:06 PM »
Cap Zoom ...  "Standoff with buffalo.  Nearly Getting charged by Buffalo"

Remember to respect ancient traditions - especially around Black Hills and Mt Rushmore.
You don't want the spirit of dead Crazy Horse to come and haunt you, do you??
Always kill the buffalo with a bow and arrow.

It's OK if you do it from your Raider, though.

HAHAHAHA!!!

dT

Wasn't me.  Can't remember who it was to be honest but it was funny.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
Re: So what happened to you while riding?
« Reply #332 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:13:15 AM »
I had a nice ride home yesterday and I'm approaching my neighborhood and at the entrance there's a lemonade stand set up with a few very young Girl Scouts operating it along with their mom's, who aren't too bad looking.  I pull up and the girls look a little startled and I flip my visor up and smile and ask "Where am I going to put it?" (meaning the cup of lemonade).  I didn't really want any, but remembered how excited I was as a kid when someone stopped at my lemonade stand.  I shut my bike off and then the girls looked pretty excited and they poured me a small cup.  The cost was 25 cents, but I gave them a dollar and told them I did not need change and one of the girl's eyes got really wide.  I remember when a guy had done the same for us when we were charging 5 or 10 cents per cup and he didn't want the change and I thought he must be rich or something. Stange how your perception of money changes as you get older.   

So I drank down the lemonade and put the cup in my saddlebag and got a whole lot of thank yous, smiles and waves. Especially from the two moms.

bIKEr42lue

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:58:20 AM »
I had a nice ride home yesterday and I'm approaching my neighborhood and at the entrance there's a lemonade stand set up with a few very young Girl Scouts operating it along with their mom's, who aren't too bad looking.  I pull up and the girls look a little startled and I flip my visor up and smile and ask "Where am I going to put it?" (meaning the cup of lemonade).  I didn't really want any, but remembered how excited I was as a kid when someone stopped at my lemonade stand.  I shut my bike off and then the girls looked pretty excited and they poured me a small cup.  The cost was 25 cents, but I gave them a dollar and told them I did not need change and one of the girl's eyes got really wide.  I remember when a guy had done the same for us when we were charging 5 or 10 cents per cup and he didn't want the change and I thought he must be rich or something. Stange how your perception of money changes as you get older.   

So I drank down the lemonade and put the cup in my saddlebag and got a whole lot of thank yous, smiles and waves. Especially from the two moms.

:thumbs: But, wait...Lemonade? Isn't it GS cookie season?
Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:59:38 AM »

:thumbs: But, wait...Lemonade? Isn't it GS cookie season?

Yeah.  They tried to hit me up for a cookie order too, but I told them that I had a regular Girl Scout that comes around every year and I was going to wait for her.  Plus her mom is hot!!!  I  didn't tell them that part.

Lrdofh8

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: Jan 25, 2013, 02:07:13 AM »

Soooooo..

This wasnt really something that happen to YOU while riding...
This was YOU happening to someone else...  :lolsign:

This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me facing the enemy.

bIKEr42lue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:12:44 AM »

Soooooo..

:funnypost: :rotfl:
Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:13:51 PM »

Soooooo..

I guess so.  It's just not often I come across a lemonade stand in today's day and age.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: Apr 23, 2013, 09:31:10 AM »
So I'm riding in to work in the HOV lane this morning on my wife's Stryker (see reason here) and for some reason people love to ride close to the back of her bike.  I see people do it when she's riding it and people do it when I'm riding it.  So I have this woman in an SUV within about 15 feet behind me going about 65 down the freeway and I do a little swerving to back her off and she does, then she's on me again within seconds.  So I drop a gear and lay on my brake a bit and she starts backing off.  I'm watching in my mirror to make sure I don't have to gun it in case she doesn't slow down.   Well, it was a good thing I didn't have to because all of the traffic that I had just backed way off from locks up their tires. I see one guy swerve onto the shoulder and another vehicle swerve the other way. And then I see a motorcycle bobbling from left to right and I thought for sure he was going down and then this huge 55 gallon Rubbermaid trash can goes bouncing out of the mess and into the lanes on the right.  Damn!  I am so glad I backed off the way I did, so I wasn't added to the mix.  The bike managed to stay up, but I bet he was sweating it bad.  I couldn't tell for sure, but it almost looked like the trash can bounced off of him.  It could've been really bad. No idea where the trash can came from.

MYRDR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: Apr 24, 2013, 04:42:40 AM »
So I'm riding in to work in the HOV lane this morning on my wife's Stryker (see reason here) and for some reason people love to ride close to the back of her bike.  I see people do it when she's riding it and people do it when I'm riding it.  So I have this woman in an SUV within about 15 feet behind me going about 65 down the freeway and I do a little swerving to back her off and she does, then she's on me again within seconds.  So I drop a gear and lay on my brake a bit and she starts backing off.  I'm watching in my mirror to make sure I don't have to gun it in case she doesn't slow down.   Well, it was a good thing I didn't have to because all of the traffic that I had just backed way off from locks up their tires. I see one guy swerve onto the shoulder and another vehicle swerve the other way. And then I see a motorcycle bobbling from left to right and I thought for sure he was going down and then this huge 55 gallon Rubbermaid trash can goes bouncing out of the mess and into the lanes on the right.  Damn!  I am so glad I backed off the way I did, so I wasn't added to the mix.  The bike managed to stay up, but I bet he was sweating it bad.  I couldn't tell for sure, but it almost looked like the trash can bounced off of him.  It could've been really bad. No idea where the trash can came from.

That's just plain scarey, as for the trash can and where it came from my guess is off of a landscapers trailer, I have seen that happen here more then once.  They don't tie them down and air gets under the rim and up and out they come.  Or they get bounced out.  either way it's a very dangerous situation when it happens.  I stay away from those guys like they got the plague or something.

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: Apr 24, 2013, 07:46:44 AM »
I make very attempt to avoid pickups with ladders in the back.   Ladders (so I've been told) are the #1 item found on freeways.

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: Apr 24, 2013, 07:53:02 AM »
I try to avoid anyone with anything on the back.  ;D  Back a little while after katrina. We were ridding on a bike seen a car goin pretty slow on the interstate that looked like it had some type bed matriss on top. Closer i got yep. They was 4 mexicans in a older car had the bed on top and instead of rope. All 4 had a hand one the matris holdin it down. I think thats been the funniest thing ive seen so far ever.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Pale_Rider

• Road Star
    • View Profile
So what happened to you while riding?
« Reply #342 on: Apr 24, 2013, 08:10:13 AM »
I make very attempt to avoid pickups with ladders in the back.   Ladders (so I've been told) are the #1 item found on freeways.
I wasn't riding, but a few years ago I was driving down the highway.  I was in the left hand lane passing a truck with a ladder in the back.  I watched as the ladder caught wind and slid up and out of the back landing on the highway. Definitely want to avid those since you can't see if it's adequately tied down.
If you ain't riding, you ain't living.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: Apr 24, 2013, 09:08:46 AM »
After riding over a carpet tube that flew out of a Mexican carpeter's truck in Tempe I make it a point not to follow behind any vehicle with crap in the back.  Ladders, carpet, painters buckets, land scaping equipment, ect.  Has your number on it.

Worse yet in a place like Phoenix they never ever stop...since 85% of the cars on the road don't have insurance.  Than add in a hefty dose of illegal immigrants and your odds of getting help or an insurance number turn from slim to none

One that scares the crap out of me are kids toys.  I don't know how many bikes and other crap like kiddie pools that I've seen fly out of truck beds.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: Apr 24, 2013, 09:31:54 AM »
Yeah.  I definitely avoid trucks carrying anything.  Even if it looks to be tied down, I don't trust it. My ex ran over a ladder that came out of the back of a truck (she was driving a car).  And Desiree hit a over-turned wheelbarrow that was hidden in the dark under an overpass very early in the morning. She was driving her Camaro and hit the thing with one tire and it was like going over a ramp. She spun around and the handle of the wheelbarrow impaled her passenger side door and smashed the window that was rolled down.  The Phoenix area freeways always seem to have crap all over them.