Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: Saddlebags, hard or soft, best fits, best price.  (Read 11719 times)

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Saddlebags, hard or soft, best fits, best price.
« Reply #105 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:40:47 AM »
Are they water proof or do you have to put a bag or something over them to keep the water out. And isnt their quick release brackets called ez brackets.

Yes, there are Easy Brackets for the Raider, but they will not work with the original QR backrest.
What about the cobra backrest

As long as your fender bolts are exposed to attach the EZ Brackets to, you should be just fine.  The original QR backrest overlapped the fender bolts, so nothing else could access them.
Thats a goody. I was thinking i may have to take them to some type shop and get them rigged to work ;D . Yeah . I have 4 bolts on the back showing.  So i should be good if i order them instead.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Dec 09, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »
I don't think you'll regret having Easy Brackets.  I had them on my V-Star 1100 and on my wife's Stryker. Got those for free since I helped them with the R&D to make them fit the Stryker.

I would have them for my Raider if they worked with the old QR backrest.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Dec 09, 2012, 08:34:49 PM »
I think thats what i will wind up going with . Way people are talking they are decent. But dont cost a arm and a leg to get them.

Atreyou

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:05:39 AM »
Hey guys, for what it is worth, here are my thoughts on the Tsukayu quick release strong bags with the brackets shown in this picture:

http://tsukayu.com/QuickDetachableStrong.html

LOVE the way the bags look.  Plenty of storage space for a long solo trip.  Would need to consider a rear rack of some sort if I was going on a long trip with my GF or have her hold a duffel on her lap like GoStr8er's wife does.

Not a fan of the brackets.

While I was initially delighted by how quickly (seconds) you can take the bags on and off with them, and by how clean the bike looks with the bags off, I am sorely disappointed with the design and/or quality of the metal alloy they are made out of.  They had deformed by the second day of my Texas to Virginia highway-only trip.  The bags flap around a lot with these brackets because they are only held onto the studs that mount on the sides of the rear fender by a few millimeters of lip on either side of the bracket rail that is mounted to the bags.  This translates to immediate deforming after a day of riding over dips and expansion joint cracks on bridges (standard highway day).  I even made a  point of researching the max load limit for the bags before setting off on my trip (20 lbs).  This is a bit annoying since the bags themselves with the brackets are probably pretty near 20 lbs. to begin with.  I filled them with clothes only and bungeed heavier stuff to the rear fender (with color-matching hand towel underneath of course - ha!).

Fortunately, the bags have not fallen off.  The main annoyance now is that it is nearly impossible to get them on and off of the bike because they are so deformed.  Not sure what I am going to do because while I was still in the states riding the thing they got worse with every passing day pretty much despite riding with them empty sometimes.  Am now looking into a more permanent bracket solution because they are pretty useless for real touring and errand-running, which is what I got them for.

This is just one of those things you learn by buying and trying, I guess, but I thought I would try to help others out who may be considering them.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:06:52 AM »
Those are Ghost Brackets.  I have never had any personal experience with them. They don't look to be as well constructed as the Easy Brackets.  Easy Brackets are NOT going to deform unless maybe you drive over them with a truck or something.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:09:27 AM »
Those are Ghost Brackets.  I have never had any personal experience with them. They don't look to be as well constructed as the Easy Brackets.  Easy Brackets are NOT going to deform unless maybe you drive over them with a truck or something.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: . At first he had me worried their until i seen that they were ghost brackets.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:10:57 AM »
After going to WARR or maybe during WARR, my wife's saddlebags (my old ones) started sagging and touched both her pipes and belt guard. So she stopped using them.  With me using her Stryker last week I was going nuts not having any way to carry anything with me.  Especially with it being cold in the morning, but warm in the afternoon.

So assuming that I was not going to get my Raider running this weekend, I decided to fix her bags.  I had to remount them to the EZ Brackets and added some flat metal strips for reinforcement to keep them flat in the back.  They work great now and my Raider is fixed and she's not riding to work, so my guess is I did all the extra work for nothing since she'll be getting these new bags for Christmas.

ERRRRRR!!!

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:18:24 AM »
After going to WARR or maybe during WARR, my wife's saddlebags (my old ones) started sagging and touched both her pipes and belt guard. So she stopped using them.  With me using her Stryker last week I was going nuts not having any way to carry anything with me.  Especially with it being cold in the morning, but warm in the afternoon.

So assuming that I was not going to get my Raider running this weekend, I decided to fix her bags.  I had to remount them to the EZ Brackets and added some flat metal strips for reinforcement to keep them flat in the back.  They work great now and my Raider is fixed and she's not riding to work, so my guess is I did all the extra work for nothing since she'll be getting these new bags for Christmas.

ERRRRRR!!!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Deyv

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:36:18 AM »

ERRRRRR!!!

Offer them up to the fine folks in the Stryker community...

Deyv
Non Clementia!
Non Captivus!

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:39:03 AM »

ERRRRRR!!!

Offer them up to the fine folks in the Stryker community...

They're not worth it.  Theyr'e pretty beat.  Besides, she's going to keep the EZ Brackets, so they'd still need to invest $110-$130 into them.  These bags originally started life on my V-Star 1100 and I only paid around $80 for them new.

bIKEr42lue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Dec 10, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: . At first he had me worried their until i seen that they were ghost brackets.

When you're ordering your Easy Brackets make sure to get the right ones. They have different hardware for a few different types of backrests, including Cobra. http://www.easybrackets.com/products/yamaha_motorcycles.htm#Raider

And to further prove Ares' point about Ghost Brackets vs. Easy Brackets, check this article out: http://www.easybrackets.com/compare_easy_brackets.htm
Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Dec 10, 2012, 04:17:43 PM »
I was working with Easy Bracket to design a way to get the brackets to work with the QR backrest on the Raider.  I came up with an option I truly think would've worked. He had his engineers check it out and they were concerned about the strength when installed, so it never happened.  They were more concerned about building a quality product than risk their reputation.  Although I don't agree that there would've been strength integrity problems, I definitely respect the fact that this was their ultimate concern over making a buck.

Tail dragger

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: Dec 10, 2012, 05:14:50 PM »
I'm a fan of Easy Brackets.  Got a set when I first got my Raider and they are still going strong and they don't bend.  Folks there are great to deal with as well.  Highly recommend them.

Atreyou

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Dec 11, 2012, 02:11:20 AM »

Aha - thanks.  I am now going to see if EZ brackets will do the trick while retaining the on/off convenience.  Hopefully the bolt holes will line up!

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Dec 11, 2012, 06:30:06 AM »

Aha - thanks.  I am now going to see if EZ brackets will do the trick while retaining the on/off convenience.  Hopefully the bolt holes will line up!

Bolt holes are adjustable

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D