Author Topic: LA choppers 9" pullback handlebars with stock cables worked for me  (Read 20607 times)

bldhndzgng

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
After doing some research I found that it was supposedly possible to use these handlebars (http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/la-choppers-radius-t-bar-with-9-inch-pullback-yamaha-raider/part/LA-7309-00) with the stock cables and lines.  When I first opened the bars, they looked amazing, beefy 1 1/2" dia, shiny, and they had good welds.  Removal of the stock bars wasn't terribly difficult, tracing wires, removing brackets, etc. wasn't bad.  The stock connectors fit through the stock bars but the connectors need to be removed in order to be pulled through the new bars.  I have no idea why LA choppers designed a larger diameter bar with smaller holes for the wires, it doesn't make sense.  I imagine someone could open up the holes, but the material is pretty thick and the holes at the bottom are in somewhat of an awkward position.  It was kind of a gut check moment when I cut the stock connectors off, there was no going back at that point.  *TIP* I'm sure most of you are smart enough to do this, but when cutting the connectors, stagger your cuts so that when you solder them back together you don't have one big non-flexible lump, it'll be hell pulling the wires through the bars.  *TIP #2* Almost all of the wires are different colors, there are a few solid black ones though, MARK THEM FIRST.  I'm not sure if the black wires are interchangeable, but I didn't want to find out the hard way.  I found that the stock insulation needed to be removed because it kept bunching up and tearing, I removed it all and taped the looms together to protect them.  Feeding the wires through takes a lot of time and patience, the clutch side is much more difficult because it has a few extra wires.  When it comes time to re-attach the connections, I recommend soldering them, any type of connectors will most likely be too large and may not fit in the control housings.  Once the bars are mounted back on the bike the cables will need to be shifted a bit, I removed some of the connectors to the frame for more slack.  The only minor issue I had was that the clutch line was pulled very tight, so I re-routed it behind the fork instead of in front.  The cables are a bit tight, but they have plenty of slack when turning lock to lock.  I asked a friend if he noticed anything funny about the way it looked, he thought it looked pretty damn good.  With the bars on, I put on my new Avon grips (http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/mt-air-cushioned-grips-black-metric-cruisers-with-1-inch-bars/part/AG-MT-AIR-90-ANO) and my mirrors from Demons Cycles (http://www.demonscycle.com/Mirrors/Metric/Black-Powdercoated-Metric-p8540709.html).  Both the grips and mirrors are awesome, I can't believe those mirrors are that cheap and that solid, they really look nice.   In conclusion, these bars look amazing, and they are reasonably priced.  Installation takes a lot of patience and tedious trimming, splicing, and such. 

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: LA choppers 9" pullback handlebars with stock cables worked for me
    « Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:16:48 am »
    When Baron's set me up with mine for a show the only issue i had, if I recall correctly was the clutch line.  because they were using the bike for a show they just sent me SS lines and cables for everything.  I know people have used all stock stuff on the 9" bars but some haven't been able to with the 9.5" bars.

The bars look great don't they.  Just wait till you start riding it around.  You'll get a lot of compliments on the bars.
    Kick Logic To The Curb!

Fj_Ohio

• Warrior
    • Referrals: 2
    « Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:26:34 am »
    The bars, mirrors, and grips look awesome. Also a very nice write up. I am curious about how much more comfort the bars give you.
    After you get some miles in how about a follow up.
    FJ

• Advertisement

bldhndzgng

• Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:29:27 am »
           I can't imagine any more pullback would work with the stock cables.  I'd assume LA Choppers designed these with max pullback while utilizing the stock cables. 

Once it warms up a bit I'll get her out and comment on the comfort.  I'm eagerly watching the temp here, it's only 33 degrees right now and it's tough not to just take her down the road since I installed my FuelPak and BAK yesterday too.

bldhndzgng

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2012, 01:04:34 pm »
      33 degrees wasn't quite warm enough this morning, but when that temp read 40 I was out the door.  I didn't ride for long because I wanted to retain the use of my fingers, but the bars are comfy.  It's tough not having ridden the stock bars since fall, but I'm sure it's an improvement.  No binding or any other issues with the cables.  Now I'll be obligated to ride any time it's over 40 degree.

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2012, 01:10:53 pm »
      Looks great and a really good write-up.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2012, 01:24:01 pm »
      Nice work. Bike looks nice.

You don't have to cut the wires. The pins can be removed from the connectors. A lot of people on this board did that. Search for basco's handlebar thread.
      Ken
      2010 Raider/2008 FZ1 (sold)

RIP Tail dragger

Spoon

• Road Star
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2012, 01:33:00 pm »
      Really nice!!!

When life hands you lemons....THROW THEM AT THE FIRST DUMBASS YOU SEE!!!

bldhndzgng

• Road Star
      « Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2012, 02:31:24 pm »
      Nice work. Bike looks nice.

You don't have to cut the wires. The pins can be removed from the connectors. A lot of people on this board did that. Search for basco's handlebar thread.

Oops.  I looked at the connectors and thought I would need a particular tool to re-set them.  I thought I did decent research but it looks like I missed this option.  Hopefully someone else comes across this post and doesn't have to go the same route I went.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2012, 02:55:20 pm »
      Hey, whatever works. You did a great job.
      Ken
      2010 Raider/2008 FZ1 (sold)

RIP Tail dragger

biggy

• Roadliner
      « Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2012, 04:26:50 pm »
      sweet  looking

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:47:30 am »
      That looks great!!!  I really like the contrast the black mirrors and grips give with the silver tank. It ties in well with the rest of the black parts.

bldhndzgng

• Road Star
      « Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2012, 10:41:45 am »
      I was curious whether or not the black would go with the chrome and silver.  I figured If I didn't like how they went I would powdercoat the bars black.  I know most of you would disagree and rather have more chrome, but I prefer black over shiny.  I agree though, I like the black and chrome mix.

dejablu110

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2012, 05:31:45 pm »
      Worked for me too

lst

• V Star
      « Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2012, 10:13:24 pm »
       was wondering if the people that installed theses bars reused the thick washers under the stock risers? Or did you just use the stock rubber pcs? I reused the rubber and washers, was wondering if the provided bolts would be threaded in far enough. From what i can tell, the end of the threads finish flush with the welded insert of the new bars(inside the risers).