Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Sena smh-10 bluetooth  (Read 3811 times)

2smokes

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Sena smh-10 bluetooth
« on: Mar 28, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
I've been using it for a couple weeks now and have to say I love it.  I have it installed in my Scorpion Exo-1000 helmet for my 60 mile daily commute.  Works perfectly with my iphone 4 for music and calls at 75mph. It even woks with the Siri voice commands on phone for placing calls/turning music on or off or even selecting specific songs.  I spent alot of time trying to decide which bluetooth to get and think I picked a winner. Highly recomended if even just for the music without wires dangling from my helmet.

A.T.

• Raider
    • View Profile
Re: Sena smh-10 bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2012, 06:51:38 PM »
Does it work with half shells or just full face?

2smokes

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2012, 07:29:48 PM »
The actual bluetooth unit clips into a clamp that connects the mic and speakers to your helmet. The unit came with a boom mic and speakers.  They sell a bunch of diferent configurations of the clamp.  Wired mic/boom mic/no mic, speakers/detatchable speakers/earbuds.  Half helmet I'd assume earbuds or speakers with the vega speaker pockets for half helmets would work and a boom mic.  The clamps were like $30 each.

LongDrive352

• SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2012, 08:49:27 PM »
Hey A.T. ,

Check out Sena's website (http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/index.php) , they actually have a version designed specifically for half helmets.  I do not think it is just a matter of a different mount though.  The model for the half helmet is SPH10H.  The website says it is "new", and the controls are considerably different looking than those on the SMH10 that we have.   2smokes is right though about there being a few different mounts available for the full face version.  They have one where you can use a wired mic instead of a boom mic (i'm actually thinking about one of these because the boom is kinda uncomfortable when I push the boom mic up inside the helmet in front of my mouth.) 

They also make a mount where you can change out both the type of mic as well as the type of speakers.  I've also been considering a good set of noise cancelling earphones that might improve upon an already great device.

I was having this discussion with a couple other raider riding friends here in FL recently.  I got the SMH-10 dual set last summer so I could ride with my wife and we could talk or listen to music.  She plugs her ipod nano straight into hers using an aux jack in the back of the unit.  She really enjoys it.  I stream pandora straight from my phone via bluetooth.  And, either of us can put our music on hold and initiate talking to each other just by tapping the big jog dial and waiting a second.  All the cords you could possibly need are included btw.  They include an AC adapter, a 12v adapter, and an aux input cable (standard stereo tips) with BOTH headsets...so i you get a dual kit like mine....two of EVERYTHING.  Very nice touches.

We went to bike week a few weeks ago, and she forgot her patch cord for the nano, so we talked the whole time.  It was actually really handy, and we didn't have any issue with battery life all day.  That may not always be a "good" thing, as some of the guys have pointed out.   ;D

I've been very pleased with the setup, but I can't say I've put it thru a ton of use.  Most of the time, it only gets used to stream music while I'm going to or from work (about 140 miles/day). 

One of the nicest things about Sena was that they decided to start using micro usb jacks for charging and for allowing firmware upgrades.  With as many units from other manufacturers talking about revision after revision, I was pleased that they designed it to be upgradable from the beginning.   There have already been several software enhancements and updates released over the last year...I believe they are about to release the 4th one. 

My one issue with the headset (and its not fair to single out Sena, because it is a limitation of the android operating system of my phone - so it would be the same with any manufacturer's headset) is that the bluetooth voice activation is about impossible to use.  I have a Droid Bionic, and when I press the phone button on the headset, it launches a Motorola program for voice activation instead of the much more powerul, useful, and accurate Android program thru google.  There are ways to screw around with it, but i haven't found anything real successful so far.

As far as headsets go tho, I don't think you can do any better at the moment.  However, there is a new Cardo Scala unit that is supposed to start shipping within the next month or two that will possibly up the ante.  It is called the G9 (their current one is called a G4) All I've seen are tech reviews of it from gear shows so far, but it will also offer the firmware upgradability that I'm such a sucker for, while allowing you to pair the units much easier to each other (just by literally tapping them together) to include more riders.  Bear in mind that the one MAJOR flaw to all of these systems are that they do not have any interoperable standards yet..... which means, you can have the biggest and baddest MOST EXPENSIVE headset made, but if you're using a Sena, and your riding buddy is using a Scala, you can hang it up.  There's no pairing between manufacturers.  That part (to me) REALLY blows ! 

And, while we're talking about expense....the SMH10 dual set was purchased the first week of June last year thru a company called "The Cycle Bots".  I paid $299 with free shipping.  I looked up the half helmet version just now....they have it only in single units for $186, but an interesting note is that it can be paired with the SMH10's, so if your riding buddies have the SMH10 or your better half is riding full face with an smh10, they will all work to conference together.  A single SMH10 by comparison is $165.

The Scala G9 that I mentioned above (due out May 1st according to cyclebots' website) will be going for $420 (dual set), and $269 (single).  Do I think it will be worth the difference.  Not on specs alone I don't.   But, as I mentioned, the only reviews I've read/watched so far are from gear shows.  I haven't seen any in depth reviews based on full on testing yet.

One major point to be made AGAINST the Cardo Scala G9 coming in May (in your case) is that there is NO half helmet option listed. 

One last note about what I'm looking at on the SENA website...their half helmet design says it can be worn "without" a helmet also.  That might offer some cool potential as well.  It looks like it comes with one of those bands that wraps around the back of your neck and comes over the tops of your ears. 

Long winded, I know.  Sorry about that.  Nutshell, don't wait for the Scala G9 because it won't have what you need for a half helmet, but feel CONFIDENT looking at the SENA units as I have read TONS of reviews from average people like us, and we all love it.  Its cheaper, its upgradable, and most importantly...the new SPH10H has everything our SMH10's do, but is made specifically for half helmets.

2/26/2011  --  Picked up my liquid silver Raider.  What a rush !

A.T.

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2012, 05:29:47 AM »
Gents - thanks for the info.  I've been spending my money on cheap priced crap just to get cheap priced crap results.  The last "blue-bob thingie" kept dropping out of my ear then one side was continually cutting out - frustrating to say the least (distracting too).  I'm going to put these on my short list for fast track acquisition.   

karenhall

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2012, 04:13:46 AM »
Thank you for sharing the review. I was really thinking of buying a bluetooth helmet and from what you said, I guess I will definitely buy one. I can now listen to my music while on the road. Many thanks.  O8O
Jafrum sells the high quality and affordable motorcycle gear and apparel.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 06:31:22 PM »
Does the Sena do Rider to Rider.  I couldn't tell from your review if your wife was riding her own bike or was a passenger on yours.

Thanks for the writeup.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

LongDrive352

• SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »
Hey Capt,

Yes, it will do rider to rider, or bike to bike...as long as that other person has a unit on their helmet also, and is within... I think its a half mile.  I believe it will allow up to 4 separate connections.  She's just along for the ride at the moment, but she'd like that to change down the road a little. 

There has also been a pretty nice update to the firmware recently which has added a couple features.  If you go to the sena website and look up the manual for firmware v4.0 you'll see what all it can handle now.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:57:08 PM by LongDrive352 »
  2/26/2011  --  Picked up my liquid silver Raider.  What a rush !

2smokes

• Road Star
    • View Profile
Sena smh-10 bluetooth
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 06:50:23 PM »
Up to 4 way conference range around 1/2 mile

GreenwoodRaider

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2012, 03:15:10 AM »
Curious if you guys are still pleased with the SMH-10. Been looking at this system pretty hard.

Veego

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2012, 04:11:44 AM »
I was't too pleased with mine last year but then maybe I didn't spend enough time with it. Had a hard time keeping it paired with my Zumo 665 and the other headset. Used it a liitle bit from AL-OK but none after Tulsa to ID. Could just be operator error but it pizzed me off.

zakattak

• To win raider of the year.....
  • DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2012, 09:43:57 PM »
wow...between this new one for half shells and my solid state cover mask idea...im on to a seriously bada$$ helmet!

109rfan

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »
I just installed the Sena and unfortunately the speaker wires keep shorting out which is annoying. Also the music quality on the speakers isn't all that great.  I'm waiting to hear back now from Sena about replacing the one unit.   It's pretty cool system even with its flaws I think it will be nice for communicating with a passenger.   
big radius 2 into 2 cobra gen 2 power pro ness mirrors kury control covers with chrome levers kury belt gard jpd bomber chrome engine kit joe florida leds kury chome plate kit  danny gray big seats  yamaha quick detachable short backrest

Lrdofh8

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »
I've been looking at the Sena pretty hard for Christmas, but I think I am going to hold out for the new slim design they have listed as "coming soon" on thier site.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/smh10r.php?tab_menu=overview

Hoping its going to be similarly priced to the bulkier units.

This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me facing the enemy.

Gunner

• 2009 Red Raider S
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2012, 09:35:25 PM »
When making road trips during the winter, I usually wear my full face Viper bluetooth helmet. Its a convertible helmet that has a dropdown sunshield. It was tested on a harley @ 65mph, but at 80 its not very effective though. I got it on UK ebay for $200. 00. Its a VS-131 model made in Ireland.
I only ride rice, you don't need a trailer