Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: A different air box mod  (Read 9926 times)

michael t

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • bersachat.com
Re: A different air box mod
« Reply #15 on: Sep 03, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »
Please remember  TBrain  rides a Stratoliner  not a Raider.   I don't follow  other bikes in the Yamaha  line up so Iam not sure on the weight or gearing of this bike.   I found a dyno and only showed  80HP and 104 TQ  for the bike.   

[

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

TBrain

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 21, 2012, 07:21:38 PM »
interesting but I can't say that I'm sold.  I'd like to run against him and see how my LAC BAK does against his.  God only know's where he is in Minnesota but I can't imagine that its too far from the twin cities considering his job.  I'd meet him if I'd have the chance before I move.

Hi Capt_zoom, sorry i saw this so late. I would be more than happy to run against you. I have been itching to run against another Stratoliner, roadliner, raider bring it on. i will take the bags and wind shield off if i run against a roadie or a raider to make it a bit more even. I'm in cambridge and can ride a couple hundred miles to meet you if possible. where did you move to?

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 21, 2012, 09:27:56 PM »
interesting but I can't say that I'm sold.  I'd like to run against him and see how my LAC BAK does against his.  God only know's where he is in Minnesota but I can't imagine that its too far from the twin cities considering his job.  I'd meet him if I'd have the chance before I move.

Hi Capt_zoom, sorry i saw this so late. I would be more than happy to run against you. I have been itching to run against another Stratoliner, roadliner, raider bring it on. i will take the bags and wind shield off if i run against a roadie or a raider to make it a bit more even. I'm in cambridge and can ride a couple hundred miles to meet you if possible. where did you move to?

Wish I could have run against you as well.  I've move to louisiana and live in Baton Rouge now.  I've originally from Rush City so I used to roll through Cambridge often since I like the ride on Hwy65 and pretty much all the routes I could take to Rush.  There's a couple of guys I know that might be willing to run you.  MNRaider has a Raider that scores very well on the dyno for only having a K&N filter and Cobra Swept pipes. 
s down in Burnsville/Lakeville. 

Not sure if Wolfgang (WolfRaider) has a bAK but his bike is changing a lot so the weight is going to be different.  T-Bird might have gotten a BAK by now as well.
If you haven't gone yet try to hit first thursdays bike nite at Dulano's pizza down on lake street near Lake Calhoun in uptown Minneapolis.  You'll likely see a lot of raiders there.  I used to see at least 4 not counting mine and wolfgang's almost every time I went.  I'm sure you'll find a raider to run against you.  Probably some other bikes like 109s and vrods as well.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

TBrain

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2012, 05:53:01 PM »

Wish I could have run against you as well.  I've move to louisiana and live in Baton Rouge now.  I've originally from Rush City so I used to roll through Cambridge often since I like the ride on Hwy65 and pretty much all the routes I could take to Rush.  There's a couple of guys I know that might be willing to run you.  MNRaider has a Raider that scores very well on the dyno for only having a K&N filter and Cobra Swept pipes. 

Not sure if Wolfgang (WolfRaider) has a bAK but his bike is changing a lot so the weight is going to be different.  T-Bird might have gotten a BAK by now as well.
If you haven't gone yet try to hit first thursdays bike nite at Dulano's pizza down on lake street near Lake Calhoun in uptown Minneapolis.  You'll likely see a lot of raiders there.  I used to see at least 4 not counting mine and wolfgang's almost every time I went.  I'm sure you'll find a raider to run against you.  Probably some other bikes like 109s and vrods as well.

wow, i went to Dulano's pizza with some of the guys. my first time there. the turnout was slim. the weather really took a turn for the worse. 45 mph wind and temps got to 39 today. wind chill was like 0 deg f. sucks. be glad you are down south. they were saying there was usually hundreds of bikes but not this night.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2012, 07:42:28 PM »

wow, i went to Dulano's pizza with some of the guys. my first time there. the turnout was slim. the weather really took a turn for the worse. 45 mph wind and temps got to 39 today. wind chill was like 0 deg f. sucks. be glad you are down south. they were saying there was usually hundreds of bikes but not this night.

Crap...that sucks!.  Was wolfgang (Wolfraider) at least there so you could see his raider?  I guess we got spoiled last year because October had a great turnout last year.  yeah I heard it got a little cold up there this week.  Still freaking hot here.  about 90 deg today.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

wolfraider

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2012, 04:35:22 AM »
I was at Dulono's and left around 6:15pm.
I didn't see another Raider there. I must have left before Brian got there. It would have been fun to meet him.
To live on two wheels is to live a life in balance!

TBrain

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 12, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »
I was at Dulono's and left around 6:15pm.
I didn't see another Raider there. I must have left before Brian got there. It would have been fun to meet him.

yeah, we got there a little later than 6:30. i drive a Strat by the way, i have the weird silver/grey/purple color they used in 2007. I didn't get a chance to check out the bike's much either. walked in got a beer, drank beer, walked outside just as the guys i drove there with came in to eat, walked back in and ate, walked outside and there were 5 bikes left besides ours. lol. it is going to be warmer this weekend. maybe i can wander down there again and check out the bikes. i could bring a shim kit for people to look at if any are interested. it's always cool to run in to Star bike owners especially if they have a 113 cid bike. kind of like a HD comradery thing. i see HD's all the time but when you see another liner or Raider you get that "We are the coolest thing on two wheels" feeling. gotta like it.

TBrain

• Road Star
    • View Profile
Re: A different air box mod - cost reduced
« Reply #22 on: Oct 27, 2012, 07:58:09 AM »
Hi All, just thought i would touch base and let you know i worked out a lower price with the water jet company. they lowered the cutting price $5.00 per shim so i am passing this cost reduction on to you. $10.00 lower is a pretty good reduction and i am glad to be able to get the price down a bit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200833424720

thats the link so you can check it out. there are picture with the kit installed on my bike. you can get a pretty good idea of the huge increase in the inlet size with the shim installed. the shim is not aligned perfectly in the picture, i should have squared it up before taking the picture. the lid wasn't tightened down yet just snugged. anyway you get the idea.

luvmy68

• I call her Ruby....
  • AZ Group
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2012, 01:59:52 PM »
michael t:  The K&N does indeed make a noticeable difference in performance.  Granted, it was just a butt dyno on Ruby but I broke the rear loose hitting 2nd and that hadn't happened with the stock air filter.  I won't go back to stock filter and would go with the ram air you're talking about here EXCEPT I don't like the idea of raising my tank at all as i have my bars rolled back and barely clear the tank now on full lock positions.

TBrain

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 17, 2012, 04:27:03 AM »
michael t:  The K&N does indeed make a noticeable difference in performance.  Granted, it was just a butt dyno on Ruby but I broke the rear loose hitting 2nd and that hadn't happened with the stock air filter.  I won't go back to stock filter and would go with the ram air you're talking about here EXCEPT I don't like the idea of raising my tank at all as i have my bars rolled back and barely clear the tank now on full lock positions.

here are a couple of posts that might make you feel more at easy.

http://www.stratolinerdeluxe.com/technical-discussion/brains-air-box-mod/30/

TBrain

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2012, 03:17:11 PM »
Hi All, i am sitting at the PC drinking coffee and wasting time. i am kind of excited. i made my Ebay advertisement so it will sell internationally. i got my first international order yesterday. it is shipping to Finland. GO FINLAND! He owns a Raider. GO RAIDERS! lol.
I am hoping to reach a much larger untapped market. I just put in an order for 40 more shim kits. so i will have plenty soon.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:06:28 PM »
Do you have a dyno with the before and after hp and torque ?  Vs an acutal big air kit ?
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

TBrain

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:45:46 PM »
Do you have a dyno with the before and after hp and torque ?  Vs an acutal big air kit ?
there is an independent dyno run posted on a diffident forum. one of the guys had a fuel processor and pipes and he did a dyno run with stock airbox with and then added the B.A.M. he gained 4-5 hp and 5 tq. from the BAM kit. it would be nice to find someone that just bought a BAK and still have the stock air box in. have him dyno stock, BAM and BAK to see what the difference is. i would guess the BAK would maybe have 2-3 hp on the BAM kit. you would need to decide if the extra 2-3 hp is worth the extra 185.00 dollars over the BAM kit.
here is the link to the dyno results. it is post #94

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324&page=10

michael t

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • bersachat.com
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:18:17 PM »
Link not working for me
[

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2012, 10:45:13 PM »
It looks like thats what he may have did . Being he has two afters . But dont have them labled witch is wich..
And have you tried sellin em on the site instead of going through the ebay . No ebay charges for you . And cheaper on who ever buys your kit.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.