Raider Patches

Author Topic: A different air box mod  (Read 10293 times)

michael t

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • bersachat.com
Re: A different air box mod
« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2012, 12:55:16 AM »
Both afters show same HP  just one shows his Air/fuel  and other shows eng TO   I think he needs to check his  fuel settings  seems to me to be off
[

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:14:50 PM »
After installing this airbox shim kit the tank wobbled a little bit so what I did to take care of this is :
Removed these two rubber shims

There is one on each side of the tank
Then cut a piece of 3/4 id hose the same length as the rubber piece that was on the bike and split it

Then took it  and placed it on the frame

Then I put the original rubber piece on top of the rubber hose piece and ziptied it back up

Did the same to the other side of the frame
Put tank  back on and walla  no more tank wobble and it only cost me 50 cents for the piece of hose:))

« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2012, 07:50:43 PM by Scoob »

2015 WEST CENTRAL RAIDER RALLY
Black Hills SD Area-June 11-15, 2015
Check out the WCRR website for more information.
http://westcentralraiderrally.com

kreed020

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 20, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »
Awesome fix!

Pudge

• 2008 Raider - Fast Black
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 20, 2012, 09:19:38 PM »
Great idea scoob.
jp

(sent from my Commodore 64)

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:35:38 AM »
Do you have a dyno with the before and after hp and torque ?  Vs an acutal big air kit ?
there is an independent dyno run posted on a diffident forum. one of the guys had a fuel processor and pipes and he did a dyno run with stock airbox with and then added the B.A.M. he gained 4-5 hp and 5 tq. from the BAM kit. it would be nice to find someone that just bought a BAK and still have the stock air box in. have him dyno stock, BAM and BAK to see what the difference is. i would guess the BAK would maybe have 2-3 hp on the BAM kit. you would need to decide if the extra 2-3 hp is worth the extra 185.00 dollars over the BAM kit.
here is the link to the dyno results. it is post #94

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324&page=10

IIRC LA Choppers has the numbers for BAK with stock pipes posted on their site on the BAK item page.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

marcelm

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:20:29 AM »
I would install this BAM, but don't like the idea to raise my tank, even is not noticeable.

But I have other idea which do not require to raise the tank : what if raise just the lid box with 1/8", by putting 1/8" spacers at each screw. To use only the spacers between the lid and air box, at each fixing screw and no seal, in between.
Means the air can go into air box, from all around the lid.

But, I'm wondering why Yamaha made the two "gates" for the air to go in (from front and from rear) ? if there is a reason, can be that there is less dust, but ....I don't know ?

Marcel
My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

michael t

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • bersachat.com
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:29:46 PM »
 You want to keep box sealed to  get most of the kit. You can make your own seals any thickness you want. But a 1/8" wouldn't be worth the trouble.  This set up give you most directed air flow into box . Take lid off if you want . Many here done thar some drill holes in it.  You don't want to raise your  tank  . Well it might clear the box. Remember this kit was no made for Raiders  It was made for the baggers. They had the clearence trouble   But this makes sure it clears and box not rubbing bottom of your tank . Its not like you lifting tank several inches. You will know because you did it no one else will even notice it .     
[

TBrain

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:50:41 AM »
I didn't think about that. i will have to check in to it. One update for the Raider owners who are thinking about doing the Brains air box mod shim kit. I had a couple Raider owners who really helped me out with pictures of the Raider air box and the underside of the gas tank. I really would like to say thank you to these guys, they helped me out quite a bit. what has come from their help? Raider owners DON'T need to raise the fuel tank. Raiders are different from the liners (obviously) and they have a very different underside of the fuel tank. they have plenty of room and can leave the tank in it original mounting configuration. I am giving Raider owners a discount because i din't need to include the spacers and longer bolts that the liners need. Thanks again for your help guys.

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:39:28 AM »
So if you dont use the spacers your tank doesnt wobble?

michael t

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • bersachat.com
« Reply #39 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:26:30 PM »
So if you dont use the spacers your tank doesnt wobble?

If you don't use spacers it  factory mount.      I used the spacers and my tank doesn't wobble   I used and raised mine and Iam not changing  :P
[

AZ~Raider

• RAIDER RIDER FOR LIFE ;o}~
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:05:11 PM »
I didn't think about that. i will have to check in to it. One update for the Raider owners who are thinking about doing the Brains air box mod shim kit. I had a couple Raider owners who really helped me out with pictures of the Raider air box and the underside of the gas tank. I really would like to say thank you to these guys, they helped me out quite a bit. what has come from their help? Raider owners DON'T need to raise the fuel tank. Raiders are different from the liners (obviously) and they have a very different underside of the fuel tank. they have plenty of room and can leave the tank in it original mounting configuration. I am giving Raider owners a discount because i din't need to include the spacers and longer bolts that the liners need. Thanks again for your help guys.
The question is ,,,  :rolleyes:  ,,,, do you need the spacers to keep tank from dojn the wobble?

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:39:22 AM »
Kreed20 and I both installed this with the shims and our tanks wobbled so I came up with a fix for it but I was wondering if you dont use the shims would tank still wobble? Not that Im going to change it, just wondering ;)

SCL#484

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:01:03 AM »
If I don't have to raise the tank, then I am in for this kit. How much do I have to pay with that discount you mentioned? How can I pay? thru ebay?
Thanks,
LSRR's;SCL Club;SAC Club;FSD Club;PCV Club;BAM Club;Avon 240 Club;Custom Dynamic Club;PCS Club;Webslinger Club;JPD HotRod CLub;Chrome Whore Club;DGD Club;Cyclop LED Club;

TBrain

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2013, 09:12:05 AM »
Hi , been a while since my last visit. I have a $5.00 discount for the Raider owners because i don't need to include the high priced spacers and special bolts. The Raiders tanks will be mounted as stock so there will be no changes to the bike other than the improved breathing from the B.A.M. kit. You may have already bought a kit but i wanted the other readers to know of the discount and the nice way the Raiders work out. This shim kit is a great fit for the Raiders because it fits so well. wish the liners could be more like the Raiders. Would be nice to leave the tank as stock but no such luck for us. Raising the tank is not the end of the world though. i can't even tell i added this to my Strat so I am not complaining. the fraction of an inch it is raised is nothing. It's just such a nice fit for the Raiders it's scary.

TBrain

• Road Star
    • View Profile
Dyno results
« Reply #44 on: Apr 28, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »
This is cool. A friend told me there was an open house at the local Victory dealer. They were having free hot dogs, pop, chips, and CHASSIS DYNO PULLS!!! I was on that like stink on a skunk. My brother and i went to it and all you had to do was get in line. I have a previous dyno pull from when I was at Sturgis SD this was with my prototype B.A.M. kit that was not very big as it had squished down so that it was less than a 1/4" more like 3/16" thick which is half as thick as the current B.A.M. kit. the new B.A.M. kit results were more than what I expected, I gained almost 6.28 HP and 6.94 TQ thats a huge increase! Way more than I expected. My set up was B.A.M. kit, K&N air filter, Roadhouse slip-on muffler and stock ECU and no fuel processor. I do have a PCIII but i disconnected it while i was sitting in line waiting. it is not dyno tuned and only had a map i custom made to try to make the bike run somewhat decent. i didnt want to do a free dyno pull with the bike running less than optimal so i unhooked it and counted on the stock computer to do its job. At this point i am going to take the PCIII off and sell it on ebay. I don't need it in my opinion. If i can get this performance from the stock ECU and not have to worry about anything like altitude, weather changes and so on then why deal with it at all.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2013, 07:52:08 PM by TBrain »