Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Yamaha Star Raider Review  (Read 14845 times)

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha Star Raider Review
« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2012, 10:04:37 PM »
I think this is a great write up. IMHO....if your goal is to run the 1/4 mile with the V-Rods of the world...it wont take much tweaking to get there, the Raider can run with the best of them. If what you want is to have the best running...looking cruiser around..then the Raider is the one!! If your looking to run all over this great country of ours on your bike...then there are better ones out there for that.
I live in Michigan.....75% percent of my riding is back and forth to work....I go up north from time to time that is about 250 miles one way...I would love a bigger tank and a 6th gear!! I am 52 years old and can give a rats ass if I am the biggest and the badest...I just want to look good getting there.....and the Raider does that better than any other  ;D

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 05, 2012, 02:58:13 AM »
I think this is a great write up. IMHO....if your goal is to run the 1/4 mile with the V-Rods of the world...it wont take much tweaking to get there, the Raider can run with the best of them. If what you want is to have the best running...looking cruiser around..then the Raider is the one!! If your looking to run all over this great country of ours on your bike...then there are better ones out there for that.
I live in Michigan.....75% percent of my riding is back and forth to work....I go up north from time to time that is about 250 miles one way...I would love a bigger tank and a 6th gear!! I am 52 years old and can give a rats ass if I am the biggest and the badest...I just want to look good getting there.....and the Raider does that better than any other  ;D

:agree:  Highway, I am gonna steal one of your lines and make just one single digit change.  "I am 59 years old and can give a rats ass if I am the biggest and the badest...I just want to look good getting there.....and the Raider does that better than any other"  ;D

Designed by Bill L - Built by Tejas
120ci of Refined Attitude  "Bigger is Better"

blaine563

• 2009 Silver Raider
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 05, 2012, 06:40:41 AM »

:agree:  Highway, I am gonna steal one of your lines and make just one single digit change.  "I am 59 years old and can give a rats ass if I am the biggest and the badest...I just want to look good getting there.....and the Raider does that better than any other"  ;D

:)Me to:  Highway, I am gonna steal one of your lines and make just one single digit change.  "I am 49 years old and can give a rats ass if I am the biggest and the badest...I just want to look good getting there.....and the Raider does that better than any other" IMO  8) 8)

"Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight"

lucktoday

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 05, 2012, 07:21:14 AM »
The write up is accurate based on my experiance and what I have read on the forum from others. However I mostly use mine to bomb around town and commute to work. It's a great looking fun bike for me. I'm taking my truck for long trips. While riding with some of my neighbors, all harleys, I found out about the headlight. I raised it a little and ride on high beam most of the time.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2012, 07:31:19 AM by lucktoday »
In the end you will remember not the words of your enemies but the silence of your friends.

jim

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2012, 09:53:07 AM »
Hello All,

4.  Don't expect a v-twin to be really smooth.  I thought the rubber-mounted, counter-balanced Raider motor would be a lot smoother than other v-twins.  It isn't.  It's not bad but don't expect it to ride like a four-cylinder motor.  When you get up to highway speeds, and highway rpm's, you're going to get motor vibration.  It's not unbearable but it's noticeable.  But it also isn't any worse than the other v-twins I've ridden.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the engine is hard mounted not rubber .. ???

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong."

Chance13

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2012, 10:15:10 AM »
I don't experience anything with my Raider that would have me saying anything negative about it.  Have owned several bikes and rode for many years.  I enjoy it the way it is......... O8O

Put it in the wind, everyday is a good day to ride, if you have a
 RAIDER!!!!!

LostDog

« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »
+10000000

RaiderRoyce

• Road Star
    • View Profile
Yamaha Star Raider Review
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2012, 01:40:52 AM »
Great post!

Train113

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »
I know this is a old topic but I feel that the raider is a great bike but needs a sixth gear bad. And a larger tank. When on the highway doing over 70 the bike feels like it is reving to high. My gas mileage drops dramatically doing 70 or more.

powerful yamaha

• R
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 15, 2013, 10:35:58 AM »
I know this is a old topic but I feel that the raider is a great bike but needs a sixth gear bad. And a larger tank. When on the highway doing over 70 the bike feels like it is reving to high. My gas mileage drops dramatically doing 70 or more.

That has been my only complaint since day one! But I knew it when buying it  ;D  :raider:
Keep the Shiny Side Up!

Kevs UK Raider S

• UK Raider Owner
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 15, 2013, 11:43:27 AM »
Good honest write-up. Like some of the points mentioned, I have a Mustang seat and rider backrest, pullback handlebars, +3" footpeg extentions, Progressive Rear Spring & Progressive Fork Springs, better grips (ISO) and now find the Raider really comfortable. However, most will say it needs a bigger tank, but for me, after 2 hours riding in the saddle so to speak, I'm ready for a drink etc, so after around 120-140 miles, the range is fine for me.

I also have a V&H 2-1, PowrPro, K&N Filter with Airbox opened up, and Barnett Clutch upgrade, so feel I can run with most, so I'm happy with the power output. Next mod for me is to install the Stratoliner Pulley & Belt to gain more low down power.

I have many other cosmetic mods also, but unless you want the best of all worlds, you will need to delve into your money tree and get certain mods.

Just to say, I have done 2 road trips across your country in 2010/2012 doing over 9500 miles, so like to think I am a decent judge of what's required. I'm planning on another trip next year including the SERR in Maggie Valley.

Each to their own of course, but just my 02 cents
One of only 27 Raider owners in the UK

http://www.raiderrally.com/index.html

Ride1

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 15, 2013, 12:14:19 PM »
Excellent post. 
“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009

michael t

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • bersachat.com
« Reply #27 on: Oct 15, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »
 :rant:          I think its fine way it is . I believe the engineers got the gearing just right  5th is you OD   Follow the 6 speed HD guys and you will see lot of shifting out of 6th  to pass or clime a hill. We don't need to do that.   When I started riding in 1962   4 speed was what you got. We road all over country with 4 speeds  at interstate speeds  +   on  HD, BMW, Triumphs ,Hondas ,Yamaha,  and others no one seem to think back then we needed more .   
   My 96 300ZX has a 5 speed  I see no reason for 6 or 7 like some of the sports cars have today. 99.8% of public have no need  for 6 or 7 gears   
  We don't need another gear  at interstate legal speed you right on the power band on Raider . I think its silly to redesign a tranny  and the  work to fit to bike and eng  Plus increase in price.    Just to save may be 500 RPM and  loose performance  with out downshifting. 

All that for a extra 1 or maybe 2 MPG .    Yamaha  says Raider gets 41 MPG  Depending on my riding I go 40 to 43   Last winter a large windshield  knocked a couple more off.   Want 6 speed go pay 10 grand more and buy a HD    :rant:     
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2013, 01:23:38 PM by michael t »
[

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 15, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »
:rant:          I think its fine way it is . I believe the engineers got the gearing just right  5th is you OD   Follow the 6 speed HD guys and you will see lot of shifting out of 6th  to pass or clime a hill. We don't need to do that.   When I started riding in 1962   4 speed was what you got. We road all over country with 4 speeds  at interstate speeds  +   on  HD, BMW, Triumphs ,Hondas ,Yamaha,  and others no one seem to think back then we needed more .   
   My 96 300ZX has a 5 speed  I see no reason for 6 or 7 like some of the sports cars have today. 99.8% of public have no need  for 6 or 7 gears   
  We don't need another gear  at interstate legal speed you right on the power band on Raider . I think its silly to redesign a tranny  and the  work to fit to bike and eng  Plus increase in price.    Just to save may be 500 RPM and  loose performance  with out downshifting. 

All that for a extra 1 or maybe 2 MPG .    Yamaha  says Raider gets 41 MPG  Depending on my riding I go 40 to 43   Last winter a large windshield  knocked a couple more off.   Want 6 speed go pay 10 grand more and buy a HD    :rant:   

:agree:  I've got a buddy how owns a Dyna LowRider... When we're doin' 80 I'm in 5th and he's in 6th so... he had more shifting to do than I did.   Plus, I didn't buy a Raider for it's gas milage.   And yes... "All that for a extra 1 or maybe 2 MPG"??

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Train113

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 15, 2013, 01:50:44 PM »

U can buy a victory for close to the raiders price with the sixth gear.And I think u would get better than 1 to 2 miles more because I notice a big drop off around 75 and I didn't buy the raider for gas mileage. It would just be nice to get a little better on long trips and not be having the engine rpm so high