Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Edmonton's finest trying to enforce the noise bylaw  (Read 3992 times)

lucktoday

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Edmonton's finest trying to enforce the noise bylaw
« Reply #45 on: Nov 12, 2012, 07:40:14 PM »
I'm not really into loud pipes but I don't see how a cop has the right to mess with the bike reving it. I would think they should have to listen to the bike going down the road and get a reading. Then write the ticket or not. This was like pulling into an inspection station. What a bunch of crap.
In the end you will remember not the words of your enemies but the silence of your friends.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Nov 14, 2012, 07:54:31 AM »
Quebec started a noise control pilot project.Apparently exhaust noise is dangerous because it can  "represent a source of distraction for roads users due to their sound level."
Check out the official page http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/miscellany/pilot_projects/sound_level_meter/index.php

There's also a 24 page PDF document(french only) that explains the procedure.The noise limit is 100dB @ 2500 RPM (1, 2, or 6 cyl engine) or @ 5000 RPM (3 or 4 cyl engine).

thats seems like a small limit to stay under...

How many db does the V&H 2n2 put out  at that much?
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Tail dragger

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Nov 14, 2012, 10:30:58 AM »
Kind of amazing to be that picky on db's (and then only on the bikes).  I have Cobra Swepts (with baffles) and have been drowned out by a diesel pickup pullling up next to be at a light.  Then when he pulls out (punching it) not only is there a roar that's much louder than my bike, but I'm covered in that smoke that I can't hardly see through and sure can't breath.  Just my opinion.  As you can see, not a big fan of those pick ups.  For those that tow, they are great, for others, not so sure.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
Kind of amazing to be that picky on db's (and then only on the bikes).  I have Cobra Swepts (with baffles) and have been drowned out by a diesel pickup pullling up next to be at a light.  Then when he pulls out (punching it) not only is there a roar that's much louder than my bike, but I'm covered in that smoke that I can't hardly see through and sure can't breath.  Just my opinion.  As you can see, not a big fan of those pick ups.  For those that tow, they are great, for others, not so sure.

I agree. I hate following diesels. It about chokes me out and I've been tempted to pull of the road.  As soon as I realize I'm behind one I do everything I can to get around them.

theurbanlegend

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »

I agree. I hate following diesels. It about chokes me out and I've been tempted to pull of the road.  As soon as I realize I'm behind one I do everything I can to get around them.
:agree: When I'm in my car,I'll hit the "recirc" buttom asap when I realise I'm following a diesel.On the Raider,if I can't pass then I hang back.It gives the airborne solids more time to dissipate.
The biggest mistake of my life was not buying a raider sooner

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »
When you get by a Omni truck it near smothers me . They tend to smell like bleach for some reason.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Nov 18, 2012, 09:43:31 AM »
There's also a 24 page PDF document(french only) that explains the procedure.The noise limit is 100dB @ 2500 RPM (1, 2, or 6 cyl engine) or @ 5000 RPM (3 or 4 cyl engine).

thats seems like a small limit to stay under...

It think it's pretty loud ... my cutoff stockers rang in at 103db at 2000rpm - I've heard some tell me it's pretty loud.  There are louder pipes ......

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --