Author Topic: Fork seal.  (Read 2462 times)

Arhino04

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Fork seal.
« on: Oct 01, 2012, 08:27:40 PM »
I had my 2"inch extentions put on and on the ride home the left side had a lot of fluids seeping out. Two days latter I ride again and more was seeping out the left way worse than the right side. Then today I ride to work and home 12 miles each way and hardly any leaked out. Is this normal or should I be taking it back to the shop and having them replace the seals and re do the job? If i do have them do that is it a good idea to also use plumbers tape on the threads or no?

sundancer87

• Road Star
Re: Fork seal.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2012, 08:36:16 PM »
Leaking fork seals is not a common occurance.  Either the shop didn't install new seals or they damaged them.

I would take it back and ask them if they installed new seals (which they should have), or ask them to replair the problem.

It's possible they forks were overfilled and no longer leaking or there isn't anymore oil to leak out.  Either way, the oil leak should be repaired and the correct amount of oil added.

Plumber's tape is not required on the threads as the threads don't actually seal anything, it's the seals that control the oil levels.

theurbanlegend

• Warrior
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2012, 08:39:20 PM »
I don't have real experience with fork extensions (I don't have any on my bike) but I've read a few posts about them and it seems most people are sealing the threads with teflon tape.
The fact that less oil is seeping out is what worries me.Leaks don't just fix themselves.The oil level in the forks is probably getting low and therefore doesn't reach the top of the forks as easily.Low fluid can cause premature wear to the fork bushing,and cause handling problems which could be dangerous.You should drain the forks and refill with the correct amount of fluid before sealing the extensions.
The biggest mistake of my life was not buying a raider sooner

theurbanlegend

• Warrior
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2012, 08:41:41 PM »
Leaking fork seals is not a common occurance.  Either the shop didn't install new seals or they damaged them.

I would take it back and ask them if they installed new seals (which they should have), or ask them to replair the problem.

It's possible they forks were overfilled and no longer leaking or there isn't anymore oil to leak out.  Either way, the oil leak should be repaired and the correct amount of oil added.

Plumber's tape is not required on the threads as the threads don't actually seal anything, it's the seals that control the oil levels.
I think he's talking about the seals between the upper fork tubes and the extensions,not the actual fork seals between the upper and lower tubes

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »
Where are the forks leaking?
MAGGIE VALLEY RIDES
http://mixs.ee/1xnr

Arhino04

• Road Star
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2012, 08:55:53 PM »
at the top of the forks as far as I can tell. It looked like I had fluid around the bottom tubes but im not sure if its because the oil ran down or what. I am taking it back and making them re do them I agree they shouldnt be leaking at all unless the seals where simply broke or crimped during install.

theurbanlegend

• Warrior
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2012, 09:11:04 PM »
at the top of the forks as far as I can tell. It looked like I had fluid around the bottom tubes but im not sure if its because the oil ran down or what. I am taking it back and making them re do them I agree they shouldnt be leaking at all unless the seals where simply broke or crimped during install.
That's what you should do.They did the work and should stand behind it.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2012, 10:20:26 PM »
The only type seal at the top of the forks is an O ring (#17) http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2009/RAIDER+(S3)+-+XV19CYS/FRONT+FORK/parts.html   
that should have been placed on the extension before screwing it into the fork tube-if they didn't do this may be where you're leak is coming from but you should be seeing oil on the lower tree....wipe the forks down and pump them a few times then look for oil...if it shows up on the dust cover then your fork seals are leaking (#10) in the diagram....if it is the fork seals make sure they go back with oem seals

To see fork extension install check out this thread www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=4236.0
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012, 10:27:32 PM by ROADKILL »
MAGGIE VALLEY RIDES

Arhino04

• Road Star
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Thanks road kill the diagram helps out much appreciated sir!

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2012, 09:50:31 AM »
Mine leaked a bit after adding 3" extensions. I ended up getting thicker O-rings and wrapped the threads with teflon tape.  That took care of it. If a shop installed them for you then they should be the ones to fix them and make sure you're fluid is where it should be.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2012, 10:34:22 AM »
Mine leaked a bit after adding 3" extensions. I ended up getting thicker O-rings and wrapped the threads with teflon tape.  That took care of it. If a shop installed them for you then they should be the ones to fix them and make sure you're fluid is where it should be.
Yeh in the tube
MAGGIE VALLEY RIDES

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2012, 10:40:15 AM »
Yeh in the tube

I meant the fluid level, but yeah, in the tube would be a positive thing.

Lugnut_1

• V Star
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »
I added 2 inch extensions and had a bad leak turn up within a day or two. I went to the local hardware store and bought larger diameter o-rings and used teflon tape. no problems since. It has been awhile but if i remember right the stock o-ring is 2mm diameter. I bought 2.5 mm and 3 mm. I used the 2.5 and they worked great.

Arhino04

• Road Star
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2012, 09:50:12 PM »
Thanks lugnut im going to ask them to put in 2.5mm then hopefully that will solve the issue.

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2012, 04:11:02 PM »
How do you check the oil level in your forks? And what type of oil do you put in your front forks?

2015 WEST CENTRAL RAIDER RALLY
Black Hills SD Area-June 11-15, 2015
Check out the WCRR website for more information.
http://westcentralraiderrally.com