Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: Fork seal.  (Read 2249 times)

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • AZ Group
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Fork seal.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2012, 07:28:32 AM »
How do you check the oil level in your forks? And what type of oil do you put in your front forks?

Good question Scoob, I would like to know also.

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2012, 07:55:11 AM »
 The only way I know of to check the level is to disassemble the fork and pour the oil into a graduated cup or cylinder to measure how much was there.  There are no more convenient ways to do it because if the right amount of oil was put into the fork in the first place, it is still there.

The oil you use in the fork tube is on the shelf at your dealer labeled, believe it or not, Fork Oil.  It is usually a 10 weight oil. 

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:05:15 AM »
I was just wondering because one of my fork seals was leaking a little bit but now seems to have stopped but Im wondering how much oil I lost while it was leaking.

2015 WEST CENTRAL RAIDER RALLY
Black Hills SD Area-June 11-15, 2015
Check out the WCRR website for more information.
http://westcentralraiderrally.com

RangerRick

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:27:12 AM »
The only way I know of to check the level is to disassemble the fork and pour the oil into a graduated cup or cylinder to measure how much was there.  There are no more convenient ways to do it because if the right amount of oil was put into the fork in the first place, it is still there.

The oil you use in the fork tube is on the shelf at your dealer labeled, believe it or not, Fork Oil.  It is usually a 10 weight oil.

My Honda Shadow had small drain plugs on the front forks,  8) Yamaha dropped the ball on this one.  >:(
2009 Raider XV19CYS
ANG Member 25 years
Retired Aug. 1, 2010

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2012, 09:49:06 AM »

My Honda Shadow had small drain plugs on the front forks,  8) Yamaha dropped the ball on this one.  >:(
How did that help you know how much oil was in the fork tube?

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »
I was just wondering because one of my fork seals was leaking a little bit but now seems to have stopped but Im wondering how much oil I lost while it was leaking.
How bad was it leaking...oil film visible on the tube above the seal - oil running down the lower tube - if the answer was the first one don't worry about it too much - if it was the second you might want to consider getting new seals....just to let you know to change fork seals takes about 1.5 hrs per tube and if anyone needs to change their seals go back with the OEM seals. Had mine replaced with after market and had to have them replaced two weeks later.

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »
How bad was it leaking...oil film visible on the tube above the seal - oil running down the lower tube - if the answer was the first one don't worry about it too much - if it was the second you might want to consider getting new seals....just to let you know to change fork seals takes about 1.5 hrs per tube and if anyone needs to change their seals go back with the OEM seals. Had mine replaced with after market and had to have them replaced two weeks later.
It started out running down the lower fork once in a while then went to just a film above the seal.
I talked to my dealer and he said he might be able to get it covered by my extended warrantee but he would have to inspect it first. Im sure the first thing he is going to point out is the fact that I removed the fork protectors.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2012, 10:51:28 AM by Scoob »

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »
It started out running down the lower fork once in a while then went to just a film above the seal.
I talked to my dealer and he said he might be able to get it covered by my extended warrantee but he would have to inspect it first. Im sure the first thing he is going to point out is the fact that I removed the fork protectors.

Personally I could see Yamaha voiding any warranty work because the fork protectors were removed.  It may not be the cause, but as far as they're concerned, they put them there for a reason.  I could be wrong though.  Keep us up to date on this.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2012, 11:08:22 AM »
You should probably put in new seals - I still have the fork guards on mine - I crossed a set of railroad tracks and bottomed out the upper tube which damaged the spacer and the seal - if they inspect the tube and can't find any dings in it, they might still cover it.

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2012, 01:19:14 PM »
Maybe I missed it, but on all the bikes I've had with conventional forks (not upside down MX forks) you can check the oil level by measuring how far down it is from the top of the tube.

If you are not able to come up with that measurement from the service manual, and if you have one fork which hasn't leaked, measure the level in the good fork and make the other fork the same.

Also, the slider seals can sometimes be cleaned/cleared of debris by slipping a thin piece of plastic (like a piece of plastic pop bottle) between the seal and the slider and gently slide it around the circumference of the fork.  I just did this on the dirt bike and the leak stopped.  I used the plastic piece with a piece of masking tape on it for a little more cleaning/wiping action.

Chances are, unless it was leaking really bad, you didn't lose much fluid.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »
Wouldn't sliding something in cause whatever debris that's causing the leak to contaminate the oil?  Is that not a big deal?

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »
I suppose it is possible that contamination may enter but on the other hand, how much contamination gets past the seal anyhow during the course of normal operation?

If you suspect a certain section of the seal may have a little piece of debris, start on the other side of the fork and work the tool with and up and out type motion, then back up a little, insert the tool further, and do it again.

Here is a commercial version of what I'm talking about.  Motion Pro has a good reputation for tools that work.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/articles/view/2800/product_of_the_week_-_seal_mate/

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2012, 03:15:08 PM »
This is one of the inherent problems with using extensions...get used to it, because they are going to be more likely to fail then a regular fork tube cap.

As someone stated most fork oil is 10wt.  However, I know a lot of guys who experiment with the weight to change the dampening properties or to make up for a design characteristic of a fork.  Also as someone else stated the only way you can really know if your level is correct (and racers will play with their levels as well to play with dampening) is to pour it into a graduated cylinder.  There is usually (not sure on the raider) a small screw near your axel that can be removed that the fork oil drained.  It won't be exact but you can try catching the oil there and measuring it.  I would just drain them and then start fresh to make sure you have the right amount in each tube, don't forget to put the screw back in.

BTW...if you ever thought about going to progressive front suspension springs now might be the time since you should be able to pull the springs out. 
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 28, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »
My seal is leaking and I havent even rode my bike yet with the extentions on. I dont think extentions had anything to do with most of the fork seal failures that people have posted on this site as far as I know.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2012, 03:32:51 PM »
My seal is leaking and I havent even rode my bike yet with the extentions on. I dont think extentions had anything to do with most of the fork seal failures that people have posted on this site as far as I know.

If you haven't ridden on them, then I seriously doubt you have seal failure from the extensions (I can't imagine how)  and more than likely you lost very little oil.