Author Topic: Fork seal.  (Read 2478 times)

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Fork seal.
« Reply #30 on: Nov 28, 2012, 03:42:31 PM »
My seal is leaking and I havent even rode my bike yet with the extentions on. I dont think extentions had anything to do with most of the fork seal failures that people have posted on this site as far as I know.

If you haven't ridden on them, then I seriously doubt you have seal failure from the extensions (I can't imagine how)  and more than likely you lost very little oil.
Im sure it wasnt much, the only reason I started thinking about the oil level is because when I took the forkend caps off the one on the side that wasnt leaking had oil on it and the one off the side that was leaking didnt.

2015 WEST CENTRAL RAIDER RALLY
Black Hills SD Area-June 11-15, 2015
Check out the WCRR website for more information.
http://westcentralraiderrally.com

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
« Reply #31 on: Nov 28, 2012, 03:53:56 PM »
My seal is leaking and I havent even rode my bike yet with the extentions on. I dont think extentions had anything to do with most of the fork seal failures that people have posted on this site as far as I know.

If you haven't ridden on them, then I seriously doubt you have seal failure from the extensions (I can't imagine how)  and more than likely you lost very little oil.
Im sure it wasnt much, the only reason I started thinking about the oil level is because when I took the forkend caps off the one on the side that wasnt leaking had oil on it and the one off the side that was leaking didnt.

Was it the clutch side that was leaking?

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
« Reply #32 on: Nov 28, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »
Ok to clarify: Fork seal leak -  a leak that occurs at the seal between the upper and lower tubes. A leak in this area can be caused by debris on the tube ( bugs, sand, etc.), damage to the tube from from rocks or by bottoming out the forks (by hitting a pot hole or like in my case railroad tracks).

Extension leak: Occurs at the connecting point of the extensions and upper tube. From comments on this forum that can be corrected by adding a larger O-ring or using teflon tape.
MAGGIE VALLEY RIDES
http://mixs.ee/1xnr

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
« Reply #33 on: Nov 28, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »

Yes

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
« Reply #34 on: Nov 28, 2012, 04:15:09 PM »

Yes

That seems to be the most common side.  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that it leans that direction when on the kickstand.  Though the other fork is leaning too, so maybe that doesn't make sense.  I had a leak on the same side and I believe I read a number of others here had the same issue.

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
« Reply #35 on: Nov 28, 2012, 04:27:07 PM »
Thats a little strange if one side is having a higher failure rate than the other side :shrug:

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2013, 11:31:23 AM »
Well I had my dealer replace my front fork seals a couple of weeks ago and I was out riding this past Saturday and when I pulled into a parking lot it sounded like the front forks bottomed out when I hit the spot where the parking lot entrance and the street meet. Did my dealer not do something right???
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2013, 11:43:17 AM by Scoob »

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2013, 12:25:54 PM »
Well I had my dealer replace my front fork seals a couple of weeks ago and I was out riding this past Saturday and when I pulled into a parking lot it sounded like the front forks bottomed out when I hit the spot where the parking lot entrance and the street meet. Did my dealer not do something right???
It's possible they didn't put enough oil in the tubes...if you hold the front brake and rock the bike back and forth does it feel the same as before or does it feel different also you may want to check how far the upper tube travels. If the tubes did bottom out it's possible that you could have damaged the spacers if so that will cause the bushings to start wearing. Did they put oem seals in or after market?
MAGGIE VALLEY RIDES

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2013, 12:35:24 PM »
I really wished there was a way to check the amount of fluid in the tubes. Sometimes I question mine as well. I've neve bottomed out, but sometimes bumps seem more severe than I'd expect.

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2013, 12:54:33 PM »
It's possible they didn't put enough oil in the tubes...if you hold the front brake and rock the bike back and forth does it feel the same as before or does it feel different also you may want to check how far the upper tube travels. If the tubes did bottom out it's possible that you could have damaged the spacers if so that will cause the bushings to start wearing. Did they put oem seals in or after market?
I would think they would have put OEM back in since they replaced them under my ext warranty When I rock it back and forth it feels like it did before as far as I can tell.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2013, 01:47:47 PM »
I would think they would have put OEM back in since they replaced them under my ext warranty When I rock it back and forth it feels like it did before as far as I can tell.
Even though it was done under warranty did they give you a reciept showing the parts used including the amount of oil...normal travel on the tubes should be between 4.5 & 5".
MAGGIE VALLEY RIDES

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2013, 01:50:34 PM »
Even though it was done under warranty did they give you a reciept showing the parts used including the amount of oil...normal travel on the tubes should be between 4.5 & 5".

Roadkill- Is that total travel or in one direction?  I assume total.

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »
I did not get a receipt-he just gave the forks to me, said it was all taken care of and sent me on my way. I have at least 4 1/2 inches of travel on my forks right now.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
I did not get a receipt-he just gave the forks to me, said it was all taken care of and sent me on my way. I have at least 4 1/2 inches of travel on my forks right now.

The dealer did that?  Not very professional.

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2013, 02:32:16 PM »
Guess he didnt think I needed one since I didnt have to pay anything