Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Turbo Anyone?  (Read 4592 times)

Crashrd

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Anyone?
« Reply #105 on: Oct 24, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »
I want mine to be most efficient i can make it gettin as much gas mileage as possible ;D  . Just wait till its at 15 bucks a gallon ;D ;D .
Maybe, you should buy a Vespa.

Got ya covered!!! ;D ;D ;D
The only way to have more fun would be illegal!!!

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Oct 24, 2012, 04:03:28 PM »
Nice!!!      ;D

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Crashrd

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Oct 24, 2012, 04:13:01 PM »
Nice!!!      ;D

I'm just surprised I beat ya to it! LOL!
The only way to have more fun would be illegal!!!

PhysicsDude55

• You see a motorcycle. I see a blank canvas.
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
    • My website of things I own and have created.
« Reply #108 on: Oct 27, 2012, 05:42:16 PM »
Does that turbo charger make it drink gas ? Or can you make it so it gets better gas mileage than stock ?
When under boost, the engine's fuel requirements will be greater than stock. And no, a turbo will not give you better gas mileage than stock. However, when not under boost, your gas mileage should be about the same as stock.
Explain the Ford EcoBoost seeing better gas mileage than a non turbo if you could.  I agree with you that it should use more gas.

Adding a turbo charger will not significantly decrease your fuel efficiency (unless you drive like a madman), but it won't increase it either.

BUT, if there are 2 engines that make the same POWER, and one is smaller with a turbo and one is larger without a turbo, the turbo engine will generally have better fuel efficiency.

This is one reason why Ecoboost engines are more efficient.  You're replacing a 4.x or 5.x liter engine with a 3.5 liter twin turbo engine (in the F-150), or replacing a 2.0+ liter engine with a 1.4 or 1.8L turbo engine.  Ecoboost engines (and most diesels for that matter) also use direct injection, where fuel is injected quickly and at extremely high pressure directly into the cylinder instead of in the intake manifold somewhere like how most modern cars do it.  Direct injection is significantly more complicated (read: expensive), but it will generally get you an additional 5-10% efficiency because you can run ultra lean and eliminate the throttle plate which is very restrictive.  It lets the engine breath easier, a similar effect to putting on a smoother flowing intake or filter.

My corvette is currently in the shop getting it's turbo install tuned, so I'm a bit biased in favor of turbocharging, but I'll just post one example that I snagged from the corvette forums.  This is a 402ci (6.5L) LSx engine with a single turbo running 11 psi of boost in a very well-built intercooled set-up.  It makes 685 ft. lbs. of torque at 3800 RPM (but look at how smooth that torque curve is, reminds me of the Raider!) and 644 hp at 5500 RPM (on a motor that redlines at 6500 or 7000 RPM).  And this is a motor that makes more hp than torque N.A.!

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ax7a2aevd2qe6tc

Just goes to show that if you build your turbo set-up well, you can make great bottom end and not have a massive hp peak at 6K RPM.

That being said, there are 10X more supercharged corvettes on the road than turbo's ones, and there are a lot of turbo'd corvettes that have a poor choice of turbo or poor pipe set-ups and don't make good torque, because they're very difficult to build and tune.  You can slap a centrifugal supercharger on a stock engine and make 30% more power very easily without much headache.  Its virtually a bolt-on mod.

Either method works well, and given the Raider's engine, I would not be surprised if a turbo set-up was unable to achieve the same success as supercharger.

One last question for Paladin: did you have to upgrade your fuel pump and/or up the voltage on the pump?
260 Rear Tire, Freedom Curves exhaust, DIY BAK, DIY integrated turn signals, DIY sidemount plate.  More to come.

Paladin

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Oct 27, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »
We went with a boost regulated, adjustable fuel regulator. The stock fuel pump puts out 70 psi, which is fine.
Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

bamf

• I don't have nothing to say about myself, Thunder.
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Oct 28, 2012, 10:52:17 AM »

My corvette is currently in the shop getting it's turbo install tuned, so I'm a bit biased in favor of turbocharging, but I'll just post one example that I snagged from the corvette forums.  This is a 402ci (6.5L) LSx engine with a single turbo running 11 psi of boost in a very well-built intercooled set-up.  It makes 685 ft. lbs. of torque at 3800 RPM (but look at how smooth that torque curve is, reminds me of the Raider!) and 644 hp at 5500 RPM (on a motor that redlines at 6500 or 7000 RPM).  And this is a motor that makes more hp than torque N.A.!

We got a guy around here running, last I knew, a twin turbo 408 in his Vette.  Red C5, beautiful car.  Great for racing Supras, but won't hook up to save its life!  What have you done to your suspension and what rubber are you gonna run?
The open road! The wind on my face! I'll go from city to city - rrroooew, rroooew, rrrrrooooooooew! Everyone looking at me: "who's that guy?" "He must be tough." Rrooew, rrooew, rrooew, rrrrroooooooew! I'll have my girl on the back seat holding on to my fat belly. Sure, she's missing a few teeth, but she thinks I'm cool.