Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Got a idea anyone don this before ?  (Read 2042 times)

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Got a idea anyone don this before ?
« on: Oct 19, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »
Has anyone took the actual pipes not heat shield and coated it with ceramic coating not the heat shield leave it chrome. Anyone done this for heat reduction in the pipes ?  Or would it screw up something .
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

tice

• AZ Group
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
Re: Got a idea anyone don this before ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:05:45 AM »
Ive actually thought about it myself, havent done it though. I do think it would help.

MYRDR aka Bill L

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »
I am sure you could do it but would need to be careful not to overdo the ceramic and prevent the shields from going back on.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2012, 11:37:22 AM by Bill L »

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
If you do this don't try doing the ceremic paint yourself.  THe VHT stuff is a total pain in the ass to use...is rediculously messy and really didn't save me much heat.  I used it on my wife's pipes and it doesn't stick as well as it should.  THe heat cycling to get them to cure is a pain as well.

If you do it have it professionally done.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »
I am thinkin of doin it to both my raider . And my Raptor which nearly caught my pants leg on fire today ;D

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2012, 06:41:18 PM »
I used the VHT flameproof 2000 degree ceramic paint on my wife's pipes.  It didn't really hold as well as I wanted.  Also the curing process totally sucked and almost ruined my grill...we had a grill fire trying to cure them.

The other curing option is to idle cure them.  Idling my bike for 20 minutes 3 times isn't how I like to treat my bike.

The other problem is the mess.  With most spray paints you can sweep up the dust pretty easy.  With this ceramic stuff its almost impossible to sweep up and gets everywhere.  You'll want a really good safety mask for painting with this stuff.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

dejablu110

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2012, 09:43:49 AM »
Even if you do it professionally they will scratch easily when you put the
shields back on......just have to be careful.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2012, 10:42:18 AM »
I used the VHT flameproof 2000 degree ceramic paint on my wife's pipes.  It didn't really hold as well as I wanted.  Also the curing process totally sucked and almost ruined my grill...we had a grill fire trying to cure them.

The other curing option is to idle cure them. Idling my bike for 20 minutes 3 times isn't how I like to treat my bike.
The other problem is the mess.  With most spray paints you can sweep up the dust pretty easy.  With this ceramic stuff its almost impossible to sweep up and gets everywhere.  You'll want a really good safety mask for painting with this stuff.

Especially since the Owner's Manual states "Do not allow the engine to idle too long.", which sucks that they phrased it that way since "too long" is not an extact unit of measurement.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2012, 11:32:52 AM »

The other curing option is to idle cure them. Idling my bike for 20 minutes 3 times isn't how I like to treat my bike.

Especially since the Owner's Manual states "Do not allow the engine to idle too long.", which sucks that they phrased it that way since "too long" is not an extact unit of measurement.

Cripes it might be hot enough in Phoenix to just set them on your sidewalk.   ;D

If I recall correctly Mine needed to be heated in cycles at 200deg, 400deg, 600deg.  My grill handled it but I also had a massive grill fire.  Actually melted part of the cast grill.  Flames were a good 4 feet high.   :o

LESSON:  IF YOU USE YOUR GRILL TO CURE YOUR PIPES MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE OR CLEAN YOUR GREASE TRAP. 
Kick Logic To The Curb!

zakattak

• To win raider of the year.....
  • DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2012, 05:45:18 PM »
...use an oven

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »
...use an oven

Hard to find an oven big enough.  My wife's pipes are fairly short compared to stock and still barely fit in my very large grill.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

zakattak

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2012, 01:20:59 PM »
i guess its all relative but iv'e baked many pipes with rustoleoum 2000 degree paint and they came out great, my oven only goes up to 550 and the max bake is at 600 but thats ok just left them in a little longer! it sure does stink up the house but open some windows and its all gewd to go!

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2012, 09:16:52 PM »
I think if i did my pipes i would just have to take them to a pro . Being i dont got anything that would cure it right.

zakattak

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2012, 04:15:21 PM »
I think if i did my pipes i would just have to take them to a pro . Being i dont got anything that would cure it right.

well i dont have alot of options up here in MD but i got ahold of a place here called Custom Functionz and called them..they said they could Cerakrome my my heat shields and satin black my pipes for around $350...so if thats true im thinking its a deal...but idk what the going rate for this kind of thing is usually

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »
i guess its all relative but iv'e baked many pipes with rustoleoum 2000 degree paint and they came out great, my oven only goes up to 550 and the max bake is at 600 but thats ok just left them in a little longer! it sure does stink up the house but open some windows and its all gewd to go!

If I put those pipes in my wife's oven...I can't even imagine what she'd have done to me.  I probably wouldn't be here to tell the tale.   :o
Kick Logic To The Curb!