Raider Patches

Author Topic: Who's in the know bout LED lighthing  (Read 1795 times)

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Who's in the know bout LED lighthing
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2012, 02:24:45 PM »
Anyone know wich one is easier to place . The strips or the pods ?

It depends on what you're trying to light.  Both have useful functions.  The pods would not work well on the underside of my saddlebags. The strips worked perfectly.

A.T.

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2012, 07:25:06 PM »

It depends on what you're trying to light.  Both have useful functions.  The pods would not work well on the underside of my saddlebags. The strips worked perfectly.

Agreed:  Strips for broader areas (since the LEDs are spread); pods for targeted areas.  My goal was to have the pods and strips hidden from view  - and I think I've done a pretty god job of that.  You can see a pod or two but the rest are stealth. 

IMHO:  LED lighting should have an enhancing effect for the bike - subtle yet strong.  The bike should not look like some redneck XMas tree...

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2012, 11:30:11 AM »

Agreed:  Strips for broader areas (since the LEDs are spread); pods for targeted areas.  My goal was to have the pods and strips hidden from view  - and I think I've done a pretty god job of that.  You can see a pod or two but the rest are stealth. 

IMHO:  LED lighting should have an enhancing effect for the bike - subtle yet strong.  The bike should not look like some redneck XMas tree...

I definitely agree with that.  I wished I would've attached the ones under the tank just a little higher because you can see the actual LEDs when it's on the stand and you're standing at a distance. It's not too bad though.  Other than that, you'd really never know any of them are there unless turned on.

I'd like to add a couple more of the super bright strips to the bottom for ground effects. It definitely gives it a killer look when riding down the road. I currently have two strips under there pretty much in the center of the frame.

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2012, 09:37:10 PM »
Whats the thought on this kit... http://www.xkglow.com/6_Strips_10_Pods_Super_7_Color_Remote_Accent_Kit_p/xk034008.htm Looking to do the engine and both rims.

Smokin_Indy

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 27, 2012, 10:32:47 PM »
Just curious.....what color should I install (assuming single color Xkglow2 wire install vs daisy chain 4 wire multi), for a Red 2008S........I am thinking orange would look best and be the most visible and legal?

Used to have blue and red on the magenta VTX 1800N but it wasn't very legal.
Smokin_Indy - aka Mark

2008 Raider S

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2012, 10:58:22 PM »
blue and red are usually illegal.  Orange is awful close to red and sometimes you'll get hassled by the cops.  I say go multi.

Stobe effects are usually also illegal when moving
Kick Logic To The Curb!

A.T.

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2012, 08:12:41 AM »
Just curious.....what color should I install (assuming single color Xkglow2 wire install vs daisy chain 4 wire multi), for a Red 2008S........I am thinking orange would look best and be the most visible and legal?

Used to have blue and red on the magenta VTX 1800N but it wasn't very legal.

Why go with one color?  Usually the multi-color kits (with remote module) allow you to choose color, steady state, fade, flash, strobe, and disco.  In max strobe, the kit I have would probably inflict an epileptic seizure.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2012, 12:05:53 PM »
I am going to go with multi colored one with the remote.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2012, 11:35:56 AM »
For those of you who have installed the XK Glow kits-where are you placing the strips or pods by the front and rear wheels? When you get to last pod or strip what did you do with the wire on other one side of the strip, just tie it up or can you get rid of it somehow?

2015 WEST CENTRAL RAIDER RALLY
Black Hills SD Area-June 11-15, 2015
Check out the WCRR website for more information.
http://westcentralraiderrally.com

A.T.

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2012, 05:29:31 PM »
For those of you who have installed the XK Glow kits-where are you placing the strips or pods by the front and rear wheels? When you get to last pod or strip what did you do with the wire on other one side of the strip, just tie it up or can you get rid of it somehow?

- Rear wheel: 5 strips, 2 pods.  Two strips per side on sub fender, and one across the rear.  One pod per side on the plastic firewall bracket
- Front wheel: 2 strips, 2 pods.  Since I have a Low/Mean fender, not enough clearance between tire/fender.  Mounted one strip and one pod on the fender sides.  Pods are on a mount bracket (from XK) pointing lights downward.  Looks decent but I'm going to add more LEDs (non-XK single 5mm bulbs).
- At the end, simply cover with elect tape and stow with a clip; keeps the opportunity to add more.

One consideration I took:  I did my best to mount all lights to the frame, especially around the tank.   This way I don't need to disturb lights when I pull the tank, or when it's time for painting.  Only place lights are on a paint surface is the aforementioned front fender.

You'll probably need more "Y" splitters - pm me and I'll see what leftovers I've got.

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 13, 2012, 05:39:13 PM »

- Rear wheel: 5 strips, 2 pods.  Two strips per side on sub fender, and one across the rear.  One pod per side on the plastic firewall bracket
- Front wheel: 2 strips, 2 pods.  Since I have a Low/Mean fender, not enough clearance between tire/fender.  Mounted one strip and one pod on the fender sides.  Pods are on a mount bracket (from XK) pointing lights downward.  Looks decent but I'm going to add more LEDs (non-XK single 5mm bulbs).
- At the end, simply cover with elect tape and stow with a clip; keeps the opportunity to add more.

One consideration I took:  I did my best to mount all lights to the frame, especially around the tank.   This way I don't need to disturb lights when I pull the tank, or when it's time for painting.  Only place lights are on a paint surface is the aforementioned front fender.

You'll probably need more "Y" splitters - pm me and I'll see what leftovers I've got.

(Front fender sides) meaning placing them where the 3 bolts are on the inside of the fender? Thanks for your advice :D

A.T.

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 13, 2012, 06:02:11 PM »
Correct....suggest you tape fit and test for the best placement and effect...

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 13, 2012, 09:32:09 PM »
Will do-Thanks A.T.

bigjohn

« Reply #28 on: Nov 13, 2012, 09:38:25 PM »
it is the christmas season, but i'll keep the lights on the tree.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 14, 2012, 09:57:12 AM »
it is the christmas season, but i'll keep the lights on the tree.

Yeah, but nothing catches attention more than rolling up on a Raider that's all lit up.  I'm getting an itch to add some more.