Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: MPG by brand (gas)  (Read 1389 times)

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: MPG by brand (gas)
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2012, 06:13:28 PM »
I know someone who owned a gas station . He told me that when the tanker came he pretty much put the same gas his every tank. 87. So every time i go to a gas station im like i wonder if this is reall 93 :shrug:
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2012, 07:06:34 PM »
I know someone who owned a gas station . He told me that when the tanker came he pretty much put the same gas his every tank. 87. So every time i go to a gas station im like i wonder if this is reall 93 :shrug:

Bigtime illegal.  If he has his pumps checked like he should he should have been caught.  87 octane can destroy motors.  You run 87 octane in an old bike and even some old cars and you can destroy the motor in less than a tank full of fuel.  What an A-hole.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Smokin_Indy

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2012, 07:46:19 PM »
So does ethanol free gas give better milage......i think it does but i don't know
Smokin_Indy - aka Mark

2008 Raider S

Tail dragger

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2012, 09:54:07 PM »
I got a couple of miles per gallon better mileage when I was able to get pure gas.  And it just seemed to run better. 
So does ethanol free gas give better milage......i think it does but i don't know

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2012, 10:05:45 PM »

I get 2-3 mpg worse with ethanol and less HP to boot.  Plus the stuff can go bad in like 3-4 days.  Ethanol is bad for motors and cause rust in tanks.  Its a giant con by our gov and corn farmers.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

DoBoy

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 31, 2012, 10:48:01 PM »
The manual says not to use ethanol fuels in the raider. She seems to run better on fuels without it, thats enough for me. Ethanol has a lower specific energy than gasoline, so it takes more fuel to achieve the same output.

Batwood

• SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2012, 12:05:45 AM »

tanker trucks have different compartments in the same truck(tanker). All the driver/operator does is switch from one compartment to another for different fuel grades. If the guy at the station didn't know that or watch carefully he could easily miss the guy changing tanks. Only a switch of a few vavles at the rear of the truck....just saying...
You can get by on charm for about 15 min. After that you better know something!!!

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2012, 07:43:52 AM »

I get 2-3 mpg worse with ethanol and less HP to boot.  Plus the stuff can go bad in like 3-4 days.  Ethanol is bad for motors and cause rust in tanks.  Its a giant con by our gov and corn farmers.

Do they make ethenol free 92 or 93. Or are u usein 87 ethenol free ? All thats around here is 87 that i have found.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

CoastalTrader

• WARR 2012
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2012, 07:16:21 PM »
ROADKILL - on the way home from WARR my bike ran like a charm and flew down the road like a rocket.  But - 12 miles to the gallon !!!

When I stopped to fill up I found the reason why - it was burning a mixture of cherry juice - tequila & coors.  On the way down my bike was vibratin' - on the way home it was me.  Yeeeeha. :cheers:
[/color]

"Life... it's all about the ride."

Motodad393

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 05, 2012, 03:41:35 PM »
I tend to buy Shell, Chevron, Valero and occasionally I rely on the Tiger Exxon.  It seems I get between 120 miles to 130 miles per tank and I usually put 3.2 to 3.7 gallon in it when I fill up.  Do not focus on MPG.  I cruise at 80+ on the highway when no LEO are around and I tend to run it up to 3,500 to 4,000 rpm before shifting.  I guess one could say I am a torque Whore and the sound of those 113 cu in - it is simply addicting.  :D

Ride Safe
MD393
"We should separate from our companions only when the sole alternatives left, are the dissolution of our Union with them, or submission to a government without limitation of powers." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to Riding

• Mistakes are forever; forgiveness is longer.
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 05, 2012, 06:32:23 PM »
I am finding that after drilling my pipes, I am losing 2-3 mpg. And my new 27 year old friend is on the back, even more.....
2009 Raider S Raven.
Tank destickered, Yamaha Fixed Backrest, Boulevard Windshield with 15" Rifle Replacement, Wolo 619 Big Bad Max Air Horn,  Model 30 LED spot driving lights, Elite Motosports exhaust, AVON 240 on Rear, Blaster-X Integrated Rear light and removed stock lollipops, BAM kit, 113 Lettering, Kury SwingWing Pegs.

It is the journey and not the destination.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 05, 2012, 07:16:22 PM »

Do they make ethenol free 92 or 93. Or are u usein 87 ethenol free ? All thats around here is 87 that i have found.

I used to get 93 and 95 ethanol free in MN.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

CoastalTrader

• WARR 2012
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 05, 2012, 09:50:51 PM »
The octane question has been on the local TV news lately and they are saying burn the lowest octane that matches what your auto manual requires.  Most of it is BS - and the oil companies wouldn't respond to interviews.  However - I the helicopters I flew in my early days were piston engine and some burt 80-87 and some 100-130 - - and you certainly didn't put the wrong one in either helicoopter.  The higher octane was for engine with turbo-chargers on them.  The fuel tanks were mounted above the engines -ugh - and the term "crash & burn' was worse than saying freak in a covent during grace.

I'm talking about a Bell 47 see pic below:

"Life... it's all about the ride."

Smokin_Indy

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 05, 2012, 10:03:47 PM »

Locally we have waht they call 91+
http://www.countrymark.com/countrymark/Fuels/gasoline/ethanol-free.aspx
Smokin_Indy - aka Mark

2008 Raider S

PhysicsDude55

• You see a motorcycle. I see a blank canvas.
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
    • My website of things I own and have created.
« Reply #29 on: Nov 05, 2012, 10:49:31 PM »
The manual says not to use ethanol fuels in the raider. She seems to run better on fuels without it, thats enough for me. Ethanol has a lower specific energy than gasoline, so it takes more fuel to achieve the same output.

Yamaha Raider owner's manual, page 4-10

"Gasohol containing ethanol can be used if the ethanol content does not exceed 10% (E10)"

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/assets/service/manuals/2009/LIT-11626-22-58_Raider_S_1651.pdf
260 Rear Tire, Freedom Curves exhaust, DIY BAK, DIY integrated turn signals, DIY sidemount plate.  More to come.