Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: AutoZone comes through with a fix for my saddlebags...  (Read 1792 times)

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
AutoZone comes through with a fix for my saddlebags...
« on: Oct 30, 2012, 10:47:46 AM »
On Saturday, I went to put some stuff in my right Tsukayu saddlebag and the top of the lid barely wanted to lift up. So I lifted it by hand and could hear all of the air being released from the pneumatic support.  I was bummed. The lid would just drop down hard. So on my way home yesterday I stopped at Home Depot and found nothing and then AutoZone and they had nothing in stock.  The thing is the clerk went back to one of the tools. Something to do with an alternator and he grabbed a support that was exactly the same size as the one for the bags. We pushed down on it and it felt really tight and I figured it was way too strong for the bags.  He said it was a an old one they just replaced for the tool and I could have it. They didn't sell these. It was just a part they had to order. 

So I thanked him many times and took it home.  I popped the brackets that were attached to the old support and put them on the new one and installed it.  It worked better than the old one.  My left bag springs open hard.  This one starts to open quickly and then slows as it gets to the end. It's a whole lot nicer. 

Now I think I'll swing back by the AutoZone and see if they can tell me where they ordered them from because I would like another one for the left side.  I'm also trying to figure out what I can do for the clerk to say thanks.  I was thinking a gift card for a nearby restaurant in case he wanted to grab lunch or something.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: AutoZone comes through with a fix for my saddlebags...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »
Very Cool of both the clerk and you for wanting to find a way to say thanks.  Gift cert at a local restaurant is definitely the way to go.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2012, 12:10:51 PM »
Very Cool of both the clerk and you for wanting to find a way to say thanks.  Gift cert at a local restaurant is definitely the way to go.

I always try to do that when someone goes above and beyond. Last year I bought a yogurt shop gift card for a woman at UPS because she tracked my package down and had it rerouted and dropped off at the local office two miles from my house all in one afternoon.

michael t

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • bersachat.com
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »
 Send him to Hooters to eat of course  if one near by.  ;D

[

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

tice

• AZ Group
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Thats pretty cool.  Is it a gas charged strut? Like the ones for hoods and camper shells?

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »
Thats pretty cool.  Is it a gas charged strut? Like the ones for hoods and camper shells?

Yep.

The sad thing is I sent a message to Tsukayu informing them that I've only had the bags for 17 months and it just seemed a bit soon as far as I'm concerned and asked if I would need to replace them every year and a half to two years and all I got in repsonse was the amount to replace them and how to go about doing it.  They completely ignored my question.  Not the best customer support.

tice

• AZ Group
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2012, 02:35:54 PM »
Thats crap!!!!! I checked the brand we carry ( Strong Arm) they have a universal that may work, but its 25lb, may be too heavy. I bet Autozone could order you another. If not, get me some measurement, collapsed and extended and mounting type, i.e. ball mount or bolt on, and I will check for ya. Atleast let ya know whats out there.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »
Thats crap!!!!! I checked the brand we carry ( Strong Arm) they have a universal that may work, but its 25lb, may be too heavy. I bet Autozone could order you another. If not, get me some measurement, collapsed and extended and mounting type, i.e. ball mount or bolt on, and I will check for ya. Atleast let ya know whats out there.

AutoZone doesn't actually carry it.  It was just something they had ordered for a machine they had in the store. It's not a product of theirs.  I'm going to check the strut for a part # and see what I can find. If I run into issues I'll le tyou know.  Thanks!

PhysicsDude55

• You see a motorcycle. I see a blank canvas.
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
    • My website of things I own and have created.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2012, 07:23:44 PM »
I've done a few custom DIY projects around the house with gas struts, you can order them in almost any size with almost any fitting you want it you look for them.

Almost any size/strength/end is available on Amazon, but you have to know the part #.

I usually browse this catalog:

http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/english/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf
(pages 38, 39, 40, 41)

and then search Amazon for the part number.  If amazon doesn't carry it, google it and you'll probably find somewhere that does.

This is also a useful resource:

http://www.strongarm-struts.com.au/PartFinder/GeneralPurpose.aspx
The units in the Strongarm catalog are metric - mm's.  Also, 1 lb = ~4.5 newtons
260 Rear Tire, Freedom Curves exhaust, DIY BAK, DIY integrated turn signals, DIY sidemount plate.  More to come.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2012, 10:52:51 AM »
Yeah. I knew I could get them online.  I was just hoping to find something local. I assumed one of he hardware stores or Autozone would actually carry something like that, but I guess not.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »
So I stopped by the Autozone last night and lucked out that the same clerk was working.  I walked up and asked if he was the one that gave me a strut a couple weeks ago and he said it was (I was already pretty sure, but wanted to verify). So I pull out a $10 gift card to Subway and told him "I just wanted to thank you for your help. It fit perfectly and works better than the original."   He was very happy to get the card and followed me out to my bike telling me how he's hoping to get one soon.  He asked what the Raider cost and I told him and he's looking to get a '10 V-Rod for around $12k.  I told him the only real thing I don't like about the V-Rod is that it's so short. He agreed. He said he was shaped like a "C" sitting on it with his feet on the pegs.  I let him sit on mine and it fit him well. He was almost as tall as I am.   I told him he could probably get a used '08 or '09 for around $8-$10k.

He told me when the support for the other saddlebag wears out to come see him and he'd see what he can do. I think I have an ally at my local AutoZone now.

Chance13

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2012, 10:23:39 AM »
Good deal for you and the Autozone guy.  Maybe a future Raider rider.....

Put it in the wind, everyday is a good day to ride, if you have a
 RAIDER!!!!!

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2012, 01:05:58 PM »
So this deal gets even better...  I stopped into my Autozone the other day because my battery in my Infiniti was acting up and I needed to have them test it and probably replace it.  I see the guy that gave me the strut and we both asked how things were going, but I was dealing with another guy at the counter. Then as I'm leaving after changing out my battery the original guy comes over to me as I'm heading to the car and hands me another strut just like the first one.  He said it was just laying around. 

How cool is that???

I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but it seems like it should work just fine.

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2012, 01:15:46 PM »
So this deal gets even better...  I stopped into my Autozone the other day because my battery in my Infiniti was acting up and I needed to have them test it and probably replace it.  I see the guy that gave me the strut and we both asked how things were going, but I was dealing with another guy at the counter. Then as I'm leaving after changing out my battery the original guy comes over to me as I'm heading to the car and hands me another strut just like the first one.  He said it was just laying around. 

How cool is that???

I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but it seems like it should work just fine.

Sa-weet!!   

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

champions53

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2012, 06:33:15 PM »
I work there as well, I'm sure the lift came from the alternator and starter tester since it has a arm with a strut support on it.  Nice gesture that's for sure!