Author Topic: Massive sputtering...  (Read 3405 times)

seventhLetter

  • Raider
  • *****
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2009
  • Posts: 2469
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2012, 07:56:28 AM »
Where was the Raider stored for the two weeks it wasn't in use?I'm thinking maybe rodents chewed up a plug wire or two.After 5 or 6 tanks it can't be the fuel.Disregard my input if the bike was stored in a pest free zone.

Stored in my garage, which I highly doubt is rodent free.  I'll be pulling the tank off to look at things, so I'll check all the wires while I'm at it.

RoxieRaider, SeventhLetter, G, "hey you", I answer to just about anything.


Sweet Tooth

  • Raider
  • *****
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Posts: 2508
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2012, 07:40:20 AM »
Mr rat can reek havoc on a set of wires
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

seventhLetter

  • Raider
  • *****
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2009
  • Posts: 2469
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2012, 05:17:55 PM »
Got my hands dirty with the bike today. Did some needed maintenance and tightened the suspension while I was at it.

Today she got new plugs, oil change with new oil filter, seafoamed the throttle bodies (that was fun...and loud...and smokey hahaha), and I checked all ignition type wiring (coils and all the wires under the tank).  The battery was pretty much dead though, and this is a newish battery.  I think I need to switch to a slower trickle charger.  (Mine is minimum 2A, whereas the battery recommends 1A slow trickle over 5 to 10 hours).

No signs of worn or broken wires.  I made sure the spark plugs wires were down firm when I put the new plugs in.

Went for a 15 minute ride with no problems.   :o

Guess I'll know for sure on my next commute (tomorrow)

RoxieRaider, SeventhLetter, G, "hey you", I answer to just about anything.

mxracer546

  • SEA-ROAR
  • Roadliner
  • ***
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2010
  • Posts: 568
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2012, 05:46:42 PM »
Got my hands dirty with the bike today. Did some needed maintenance and tightened the suspension while I was at it.

Today she got new plugs, oil change with new oil filter, seafoamed the throttle bodies (that was fun...and loud...and smokey hahaha), and I checked all ignition type wiring (coils and all the wires under the tank).  The battery was pretty much dead though, and this is a newish battery.  I think I need to switch to a slower trickle charger.  (Mine is minimum 2A, whereas the battery recommends 1A slow trickle over 5 to 10 hours).

No signs of worn or broken wires.  I made sure the spark plugs wires were down firm when I put the new plugs in.

Went for a 15 minute ride with no problems.   :o

Guess I'll know for sure on my next commute (tomorrow)

Sweet

Tail dragger

  • Raider
  • *****
  • Join Date: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 5650
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2012, 06:41:57 PM »
Got my hands dirty with the bike today. Did some needed maintenance and tightened the suspension while I was at it.

Today she got new plugs, oil change with new oil filter, seafoamed the throttle bodies (that was fun...and loud...and smokey hahaha), and I checked all ignition type wiring (coils and all the wires under the tank).  The battery was pretty much dead though, and this is a newish battery.  I think I need to switch to a slower trickle charger.  (Mine is minimum 2A, whereas the battery recommends 1A slow trickle over 5 to 10 hours).

No signs of worn or broken wires.  I made sure the spark plugs wires were down firm when I put the new plugs in.

Went for a 15 minute ride with no problems.   :o

Guess I'll know for sure on my next commute (tomorrow)


Might want to consider a "Battery Tender".  Designed for use with bikes and they do a good job.  They actually cycle the battery.  I think they are worth the cost, which isn't really that much compared to a new battery.

seventhLetter

  • Raider
  • *****
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2009
  • Posts: 2469
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #20 on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:44:46 PM »
That's a very good idea.  I think I expect a lot from my electrical system this time of year.

The days are shorter, so I use my running lights full time on my commute. (there are 2 of them at 55W each) + I wear my full suit of heated gear (socks, pants, jacket liner and gloves)  That's got to be eating up that battery.


RoxieRaider, SeventhLetter, G, "hey you", I answer to just about anything.

Ares X

  • Administrator
  • Raider
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Join Date: Dec 2009
  • Posts: 20986
  • Referrals: 7
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »
So it sounds like your whole issue was the battery?  Not that doing all the other stuff would hurt anyway.

Glad you got it worked out.

Sweet Tooth

  • Raider
  • *****
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Posts: 2508
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2012, 01:38:17 PM »
A battery tender is basically for people who let their bikes sit up over winter right ? Or would it still be a good idea to have on on their at night when its not bein road ?
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Deyv

  • Raider
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 2201
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #23 on: Nov 05, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »
A battery tender is basically for people who let their bikes sit up over winter right ? Or would it still be a good idea to have on on their at night when its not bein road ?

Depends on the Battery.. according to the folks that make the LiFePO4 battery, it only need to be run for 2 hours each month and it will hold the charge just fine...
  

Deyv
Non Clementia!
Non Captivus!

Tail dragger

  • Raider
  • *****
  • Join Date: Sep 2010
  • Posts: 5650
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #24 on: Nov 05, 2012, 06:12:53 PM »
I  plug mine into the battery tender if I'm not going to ride the next day during the winter months.  Figure it sure can't hurt and it's easy to do.  Rather have it hooked up and not need it than to need it and not have it hooked up.  Already paid for, might as well use it.

seventhLetter

  • Raider
  • *****
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2009
  • Posts: 2469
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2012, 07:28:23 AM »
So it sounds like your whole issue was the battery?  Not that doing all the other stuff would hurt anyway.

Glad you got it worked out.


Perhaps...only time will tell.  Rode in today and no issues.  All that other stuff had to be done anyway...it was time for my maintenance.  I would have done it even if this issue were not present.

I can't wait to get my fuel sending unit replaced though.  It stinks not having a fuel gauge.

RoxieRaider, SeventhLetter, G, "hey you", I answer to just about anything.

RaiderRick

  • SEA-ROAR MEMBER
  • Roadliner
  • ***
  • Join Date: Nov 2008
  • Posts: 759
  • Referrals: 0

Deyv

  • Raider
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 2201
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #27 on: Nov 06, 2012, 10:40:54 AM »
They are both from earlier models, before the part # changed..I wonder if they are the ones that there seemed to be a production problem with..?  Both are used.. I'd rather wait for the factory new..  :fingerscrossed: on there not being a problem with them... Cool for looking though..:D
  

Deyv
Non Clementia!
Non Captivus!

Ares X

  • Administrator
  • Raider
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Join Date: Dec 2009
  • Posts: 20986
  • Referrals: 7
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #28 on: Nov 06, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »
They are both from earlier models, before the part # changed..I wonder if they are the ones that there seemed to be a production problem with..?  Both are used.. I'd rather wait for the factory new..  :fingerscrossed: on there not being a problem with them... Cool for looking though..:D

Can't say I blame you.  I wouldn't buy a used fuel sensor.

ROADKILL

  • SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • *****
  • *
  • Join Date: Jan 2010
  • Posts: 4738
  • Referrals: 16
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #29 on: Nov 06, 2012, 05:49:06 PM »
That's a very good idea.  I think I expect a lot from my electrical system this time of year.

The days are shorter, so I use my running lights full time on my commute. (there are 2 of them at 55W each) + I wear my full suit of heated gear (socks, pants, jacket liner and gloves)  That's got to be eating up that battery.
Maybe your electric underwear was shorting out the battery..... :neener:....that would cause sputtering also!
MAGGIE VALLEY RIDES
http://mixs.ee/1xnr