Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Massive sputtering...  (Read 3143 times)

StrykerBilly

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Massive sputtering...
« Reply #30 on: Nov 06, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
I  plug mine into the battery tender if I'm not going to ride the next day during the winter months.  Figure it sure can't hurt and it's easy to do.  Rather have it hooked up and not need it than to need it and not have it hooked up.  Already paid for, might as well use it.
Don't know about MC batteries(first bike in decades) but for auto batteries I'd have the 3rd vehicle sitting on the driveway for 3+ weeks in winter and once warmer turned over no issues.  That said, all batteries age so what worked for year 1 might not in year 4+.  Agree with taildragger in that if you have the leads hooked up it can't hurt to throw on the charger assuming it is a good one/brand.  The better ones won't over charge the battery.
My Honda Odyssey eats batteries every 4 years while other vehicles go 7+ so YMMV...

seventhLetter

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 06, 2012, 06:13:33 PM »
I  plug mine into the battery tender if I'm not going to ride the next day during the winter months.  Figure it sure can't hurt and it's easy to do.  Rather have it hooked up and not need it than to need it and not have it hooked up.  Already paid for, might as well use it.

You are so right, and after riding in to work today, (100 miles round trip) I think it was the battery all along.  I noticed it had a hard time starting when I was ready to leave from work to come home.

I didn't use my heated gear or my running lights today.  I think I'll stick to that plan until I can get a battery tender.

Which model do you have?  there's the junior (which would take longer but probably is a good solid charge) and there's the PLUS.  The thing that stuck out to me about the plus is it claims to charge as fast as a 3 amp trickle charger.  I don't like that.  I have a 2Amp trickle charger now, and it charges the battery in about 40 minutes.  But it also drains quickly too.

I want a good solid charge, even if it takes 10 hours.

May run to walmart tonight and grab a junior if they have them in stock.

RoxieRaider, SeventhLetter, G, "hey you", I answer to just about anything.

seventhLetter

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 06, 2012, 06:15:15 PM »
That's a very good idea.  I think I expect a lot from my electrical system this time of year.

The days are shorter, so I use my running lights full time on my commute. (there are 2 of them at 55W each) + I wear my full suit of heated gear (socks, pants, jacket liner and gloves)  That's got to be eating up that battery.
Maybe your electric underwear was shorting out the battery..... :neener:....that would cause sputtering also!

But the feel sooooooooo good!  Oh wait....pretend I didn't say that!

Tail dragger

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 06, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »
I'm using the junior and it seems to do just fine.  I had two at one time, had a motor scooter and the battery died on it, dealer said I needed a new battery and when I put it on the junior, it charged up and I had the same battery 2 years later when I sold the scooter.  Never had any more problems with it.  I'm sold.

seventhLetter

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 06, 2012, 07:28:13 PM »
Thanks for the info!  Well the local Walmart didn't have the Battery Tender™ brand, so I went with a Schumacher.  It is the slower kind that goes through the 4 stages of cycling the battery, and claims about 5 to 10 hours for charging my battery.  It's the kind you leave the leads on the battery and just plug it in!  I'm sold already...it was cheap enough at $19.  If it doesn't work well, I'll order the Battery Tender off Amazon.

Thanks!

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 07, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »
So basicaly the sputterin was from the battery ??
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 08, 2012, 09:14:09 AM »
So basicaly the sputterin was from the battery ??

If you're not getting enough electrical juice it can play all kinds of havoc and appear to be another issue entirely.

seventhLetter

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 08, 2012, 01:26:20 PM »
The test will be this afternoon when I attempt to start the bike back up to ride home for my 40 mile commute. 

It charged all night last night, but still has a hard time turning over most times on the first try. This used to never happen, but happens very regularly these days.

I'm wondering if I've got an electrical leak (bad ground or something) that is slowly draining the battery.

Guess there's no sense in speculating till I know if it starts here in about 2 hours.

(wish me luck!)

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 08, 2012, 01:45:28 PM »
The test will be this afternoon when I attempt to start the bike back up to ride home for my 40 mile commute. 

It charged all night last night, but still has a hard time turning over most times on the first try. This used to never happen, but happens very regularly these days.

I'm wondering if I've got an electrical leak (bad ground or something) that is slowly draining the battery.

Guess there's no sense in speculating till I know if it starts here in about 2 hours.

(wish me luck!)

I hate that feeling. I can relate... My work is 45 miles from home.

theurbanlegend

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 08, 2012, 07:58:39 PM »

(wish me luck!)
I hope you're not having starter issues like in this tread http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=17619.msg325584#msg325584
The biggest mistake of my life was not buying a raider sooner

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Nov 08, 2012, 08:58:17 PM »

(wish me luck!)
Your battery could be going bad

Smokin_Indy

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Nov 08, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »
So i have an old 2 amp trickle charger. On past bikes in the winter I would charge for 8-10 hours every 6 weeks or so. If I stick with the old 2 A trickle, how long should i charge it if i hook it up once a month?
Smokin_Indy - aka Mark

2008 Raider S

RangerRick

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 08, 2012, 09:12:32 PM »

(wish me luck!)
I hope you're not having starter issues like in this tread http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=17619.msg325584#msg325584

Yes, I hope this is not your problem

http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=17620.msg325594#msg325594
2009 Raider XV19CYS
ANG Member 25 years
Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Nov 08, 2012, 10:51:10 PM »
Was they going to cover that under the Y.E.S if you had gone with a stock starter ?
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

seventhLetter

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Nov 09, 2012, 05:25:14 PM »
OK I took the bike for a nice long ride today on the way home.  Man I love these Raiders!  It ran great.  All the power is there, and no sputtering whatsoever. I've been plugging in to a tender each night since it's gotten a bit cold, and I often don't know if I'm riding in until the morning.

Soooo....here's my theory:

Last year I wasn't able to use my running lights at all (they had seized closed on me, and both bulbs were out - using anti-seize now).  I have full heated gear (socks, pants, jacket liner and gloves).  I used all my heated gear last year and the year before just fine.  This year, I've been using my running lights alot since I feel they help with others being able to see me and they really help on these foggy fall days.  Up until a few days ago (late last week) I'd never run both the running lights and the heated gear. 

It was sucking all the life out of the battery.

Today I used all heated gear on the way into work with no running lights.  Ran the running lights on the way home with no heated gear. 
Had a great ride.

Hey - ya live and learn.  At least that's the goal.

Another note: since I got this new battery tender, it has no troubles starting up anymore. 

Life's Good!™

8) 8) 8)