Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: Transmission Gear Lash  (Read 1173 times)

Halftrack

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Transmission Gear Lash
« on: Nov 02, 2012, 07:51:03 PM »
I'm experiencing some annoying slack in the drive train between decel and excel on the throttle . It's a noticeable bump or jerk. ON a lift there is about 3 1/2" free play measured at the rear wheel rim between forward and aft rotation of the wheel with the transmission in gear. Belt tension checked so is this much free play normal? I cannot find any specs in the SERVICE Manual. Not any noticeable noise from the gearbox on the road and oil is full. It seems worst going downhill when throttle is rolled back a little. Any Advice? Or just live with it 

A.T.

• Raider
    • View Profile
Re: Transmission Gear Lash
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:16:59 PM »
Doesn't sound normal - how many miles?  Did this just start happening?  Give us some more background on the bike.  Any recent maintenance? 

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2012, 10:54:30 PM »
If your talkin about it kinda jerkin when u mash the gas and let off mine has done it since it was new. I thought all of em done it.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Halftrack

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2012, 06:48:07 PM »
Yes it is when the throttle is retarded. Just pulses (jerks) if you don't keep a little throttle on it. The bike is an 08 and it seems to be worse in the mountains or hills. Downhill with a slack throttle is the worst.  I rode it today on flat land and hardly noticeable . Just noticing more things since some mods. New 2 into one exhaust, Cobra 2000 fuel pro processor, Barons BAK, Windscreen. It was a neglected bike I bought and I am trying to make it mine . The air whistle is something else I don't like since putting on the BAK. any suggestions on that other than putting factory intake back on. Coils relocated and custom side covers installed. Do I just learn to live with it?

theurbanlegend

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:06:29 PM »
You could remove the rear wheel and have a look at the drive hub dampers.They're located behind the pulley and serve to cushion the blow between pulley and wheel.If you've got excessive wear in there you will get that loose feeling.
The biggest mistake of my life was not buying a raider sooner

RangerRick

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:11:22 PM »
As for the 3 1/2 inches of play. checked mine today and that's what it has. But have never noticed what your discribing as far as down hill slack throttle. Only time I noticed that was when I had my IAC valve bypassed, but put it back in operation and that went away.
2009 Raider XV19CYS
ANG Member 25 years
Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Holmes

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:41:55 PM »
too low in rpm range. gear down. it will pull with out jerking. thats a big v twin for ya

Halftrack

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
I may just reconnect my IAC and see if it goes away. As of now it is cool and rainy just not the best for riding .It will be better later in the week.

RangerRick

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
The more I reflected back on this, ;) with mine disconnected it was very touch about a smooth transition between throttle and no throttle, did not like it so hooked the ole IAC valve back up
2009 Raider XV19CYS
ANG Member 25 years
Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Skidmark

• WARR Rider
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »
mine did this ALOT when i had a loose belt, but it also happens still while i try to ride slowly at low RPM, i just push a gear higher and feather the clutch or drop a gear lower and let the exhaust sing. lol.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
"Harley Davidsons have the unique ability to convert gasoline into noise without the side effect of horsepower...."

Halftrack

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:08:15 AM »
The jerking seems to be better. I was just too sensative to anything after the mods. Just roll the throttle on and off without chopping power all at once. Last week has been great riding. high 30's at night and low  70's in the day. I'm getting used to the new noises from new pipes, BAK, and windshield. Hopefully another month of good riding before more winter mods begin.