Custom Raider

Author Topic: Sold M109R, thinking of a Raider. Just a few quick Q's??  (Read 2605 times)

msoos113

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Sold M109R, thinking of a Raider. Just a few quick Q's??
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2012, 11:54:17 AM »
Find somewhere to take one for a test ride and let the bike speak for itself. That's what sold me. They handle better with the 240 on the stock rim than with the 210 because of the rounder profile in my opinion. And they're comfortable for all day rides too (at least for the driver). The stock pillion sucks for the passenger, but most of us change the seats out to something that suits each of us. Try it, you'll love it!
All I know is my time is coming, gonna hang on for all I'm worth, I just wanna be here with you, on my last day on Earth.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »
As far as power goes, stock its a hair less than the 109 but after changing pipes and adding a BAK and fuel management you won't have a problem beating most of the 109s you see even if they have done similar mods. 
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Dark Horse

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2012, 12:58:08 PM »
The stock raider handles well but I'm not a fan at all of the ME880 rear 210 tire.  It has a very flat profile making leans feel somewhat discontinuous.  This tires is also very squirrelly in the wet.  If you buy the raider ask your dealer to credit you for the 210 and have them put on the AVON Cobra or Venom 240.  You'll be much happier.  After the credit the Avon should cost you less than $100.  I think I paid $40 for it after the credit on the mets.  The avon's Cobras are much stickier, last 3-4 times longer (10k miles), have the most tread of any of the 240's that fit the raider, look better, are shorter correcting your stock speedo error and improving acceleration, and have a more rounded profile that makes leans feel more linked.  Don't worry about the stock MEtz front...its fine unless you want your tires matched...its the rear 210 that's crap.

Capt Zoom,

Sorry but I must disagree with you.  Cobras naturally wont last longer Metz.  Yes, as everyone says Cobras are a better tire but they are stickier because the rubber is softer.  Therefore, Cobra's naturally cutting the life of the tire in comparison to a tire with tougher (more slick) tread.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
The stock raider handles well but I'm not a fan at all of the ME880 rear 210 tire.  It has a very flat profile making leans feel somewhat discontinuous.  This tires is also very squirrelly in the wet.  If you buy the raider ask your dealer to credit you for the 210 and have them put on the AVON Cobra or Venom 240.  You'll be much happier.  After the credit the Avon should cost you less than $100.  I think I paid $40 for it after the credit on the mets.  The avon's Cobras are much stickier, last 3-4 times longer (10k miles), have the most tread of any of the 240's that fit the raider, look better, are shorter correcting your stock speedo error and improving acceleration, and have a more rounded profile that makes leans feel more linked.  Don't worry about the stock MEtz front...its fine unless you want your tires matched...its the rear 210 that's crap.

Capt Zoom,

Sorry but I must disagree with you.  Cobras naturally wont last longer Metz.  Yes, as everyone says Cobras are a better tire but they are stickier because the rubber is softer.  Therefore, Cobra's naturally cutting the life of the tire in comparison to a tire with tougher (more slick) tread.

Actually they do.  Many of us on these forums have gotten more than 10k on the Avon Cobra tire.  While the Metz 210 averages around 4k and their 240 around 6-8k.  The Avon is a better tire in every way.  And that's no even considering the mismanufactured '08 Metz 210 that came with the raiders.  Metz put the tread on backwards and they were recalled everywhere in the world but the United states.  Read up on it and this tire if you like.  We have plenty of threads about these tires as well as the dunlops and Shinkos and I think you'll find overwhelming support for my claim.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

chalomalo

• Road Star
    • View Profile
    • https://www.google.com/maps/place/900+Henderson+Ave,+Sunnyvale,+CA+94086/@37.3582543,-122.0046932,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x808fb5e4a8e04429:0xb98b58565cc11616?hl=en-US
« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2012, 01:35:31 PM »

Capt Zoom,

Dark Horse,

I'm gonna have to give the Avons a try, and I'll tell you why.

5, or 6k miles ago I had the rear tire stalled. I went with the 240 Metzler and when I went to the shop asking for a front tire quote, they guys gives me both a quote for the front and the rear tire. I couldn't believe he insisted on showing me why I needed both tires. He takes me to the bike and points out the thread was gone along the center. I still have quite a bit thread along the sides.

I haven't had a Cobra rear tire, but with as many good comments I read about the Cobra tires, I think I'll give it a try. By the way, I don't do burn outs, and the tire is always properly inflated. I do ride pretty hard though, I now have 12k miles since I bought it with a brand new 210 tire. First tire gave me half the total miles I now have.   
Regards,
chalomalo

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2012, 04:15:44 PM »
If you look up the tire specs the Avon cobra 240 has the most tire tread thickness...even thicker than the Avon 250.  That's why they last so much longer.  That and metz just makes crappy tires.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Dark Horse

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2012, 04:24:19 PM »
I am not doubting that the Avons are a better tire.  I am intending to transition over too because of the better grip.  I have 880s on mine with 5500+ miles and the tire is still going stong.  I also am showing road wear on the tire all the way to just about 1/4 inch from the sides.  Maybe it is good weather in Vegas but I havent had any slippage.  But everyone runs thier own bike differently.

L.T.T.

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2012, 04:46:59 PM »
My Raider handles better than my M109 ever did.. It's not the tire in my opinion, it's the better center of gravity the Raider has.. She's not wide and top heavy Like the 9 was.
2004 ZX10R... Modded and sold
2007 GSXR 750... Modded and sold
2008 M109R-- Seriously modded and sold
2011 Ninja 1000-- modded and sold
2012 Raider S-- current ride

CoastalTrader

• WARR 2012
  • Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2012, 07:06:43 PM »
I was stepping up from a Honda Shadow 750 last winter and went to a dealer to look at at used - real nice copper coloured M109.  Went up to it - swung a leg over -  pulled it up (HEAVY) - and sat there feeling like I was sitting on the roof of a doghouse.  I looked over and there was a cool looking bike right beside me - moved over - sat on it - pulled it up (it was almost a light as my 750 to pull up) - and I sat there feelig like I was sitting "in the bike".  What the heck is this beauty - a Raider!  Never heard of it before.  Went home jumped on the computer - joined this forum - and got all kinds of great info. 

Well - a few months later I had my own Raider and absolutely love it.  I'm not saying it's the bike for you.  But like we have all found out - sit on it once and your decision will be made instantly.  And be prepared... becasue you will probably fall in love. 

As far as handling - it is superb.  I'm not comparing it to anything else - it is just a great handling, powerful, comfortable, awesome riding, BIG cruiser.

"Life... it's all about the ride."

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 03, 2012, 07:41:51 PM »
My Raider handles better than my M109 ever did.. It's not the tire in my opinion, it's the better center of gravity the Raider has.. She's not wide and top heavy Like the 9 was.

The raider has an extremely low center of gravity for a cruiser.  To be honest it's 700lbs (730lbs stock) feels lighter and easier to hold upright at a stoplight than either my old HD sportster or A old stock xs650 which are both only around 500lbs.  This greatly enhances its handling.  THey also got tricky with the front end using raked trees to give a stretched out custom look.  If you didn't use raked trees the raider would handle like garbage with this kind of extended front tire at low speeds.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 03, 2012, 10:20:31 PM »
My son owned a 109.  I rode his bike on several occasions.

In my opinion, here's how I'd explain the difference

The Raider "wants" to corner
The 109 you have to" force" to corner

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

LostDog

« Reply #26 on: Nov 04, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »
I think most on here are getting around double the mileage out of the Avon Cobra 240 vs the 880 Metz 240.

PC-Raider

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 04, 2012, 12:32:30 AM »
I was stepping up from a Honda Shadow 750 last winter and went to a dealer to look at at used - real nice copper coloured M109.  Went up to it - swung a leg over -  pulled it up (HEAVY) - and sat there feeling like I was sitting on the roof of a doghouse.  I looked over and there was a cool looking bike right beside me - moved over - sat on it - pulled it up (it was almost a light as my 750 to pull up) - and I sat there feelig like I was sitting "in the bike".  What the heck is this beauty - a Raider!   Never heard of it before.  Went home jumped on the computer - joined this forum - and got all kinds of great info. 

Well - a few months later I had my own Raider and absolutely love it.  I'm not saying it's the bike for you.  But like we have all found out - sit on it once and your decision will be made instantly.  And be prepared... becasue you will probably fall in love. 

As far as handling - it is superb.  I'm not comparing it to anything else - it is just a great handling, powerful, comfortable, awesome riding, BIG cruiser.

I wonder if this is some secret marketing plan that Yamaha has - park a Raider right next to all the 109's.  I too went to a local dealer planning to buy a 109, saw the Raider right next to it, sat on it and then bought it a couple days later.  I'm SO glad they were parked right next to each other!!!!   

phatjoe

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:07:59 AM »
Thanks everyone for the responses. Looks like I gotta find a raider to test ride   8)

I did sit on a raider and it definitely felt more comfortable than the m109r.

michael t

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • bersachat.com
« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 2012, 11:39:33 AM »
Better looking to  ;D
[

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “