Author Topic: Oil cooler ???  (Read 6995 times)

Matt-va

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Oil cooler ???
« on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:53:48 am »
I just started looking around, but... I haven't run across any oil coolers that will bolt onto our bike.  Friend of mine rides an HD Ultraclasssic and just got done installing a "Ultracool oil cooler"  http://www.ultracoolfl.com/  ... so far he has been very happy with it, I was wondering If thier is something out their we could use on the Raider...

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
    • SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    Re: Oil cooler ???
    « Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2012, 08:10:53 am »
    I would be very interested also, living in the desert can be brutal on engines.  I have not heard any issues with over heating oil but keeping it cooler can't be a bad thing.

the urban legend

• Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2012, 08:29:31 am »
    I may be wrong but I always thought the oil cooler from the Road Star was a direct bolt-on.
    I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

• Advertisement

zakattak

• To win raider of the year.....
      • DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
      • Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2012, 08:31:33 am »
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Twin-Tube-Vertical-Downtube-Billet-Oil-Cooler-for-Harley-Davidson-/251018117559?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a71d881b7&vxp=mtr 
      You can make/bolt on whatever you want! There isnt any limitation to my knowledge about size and shape except your own thoughts! and where you want it to be! I was going to purchase this one here ^^^ and mount it up but ill have to find a way to hide the lines in my chin fairing

upon doing a little more research using the sites "search... bar" there are alot of threads about this very topic and yes you can use just about any oil cooler for any bike/atv/dirt bike as long as you can fit and mount on your bike! there are a few from Pro One and Jagg that are universal as well as the much cheaper version of what i just linked from Demon Cycles...although there arnt but a hand full of good reviews for demon cycles!
      « Last Edit: Nov 04, 2012, 10:13:34 am by zakattak »

umpire3

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2012, 11:42:15 am »
      Stratoliners have oil coolers.  See page 5-9 in the service manaul.

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2012, 03:09:06 pm »
      Here's another option...protection and cooling

http://www.buckslowers.com/

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2012, 04:30:05 pm by almost_there (A.T.) »

Veego

« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2012, 03:38:17 pm »
      Arrggh, I'm even blocked from going to buckslowers. Anyway, there is an extruded type oil cooler instead of having fins to cool. It has external point all along the outside and it's supposed to cool very well even if not exposed to air up front. Not sure how much room is underneath the Raider to mount one of these things but maybe you'll all have better luck finding it. I'll check in my room to see if I book marked it there. One guy was taking a hammer to it to try and show how stout it is. Supposedly used in aviation and this guy started marketing it for H-D's.

When I search I come up with this but I was thinking there was a more cost effective system out there. I can't see the videos on this site but maybe they have the video I was talking about with the hammer thing. He might have other sources to come up with a simpler solution.

http://harleyoilcoolers.com/oilcoolerkit.html

Yep, the oil bud is what I was thinkin about. Oil coolers aren't as cheap these days and these jump right to the top. Good idea if you don't want to see it but $$$
      « Last Edit: Nov 04, 2012, 08:19:10 pm by RuneRaider »

Peter Pollock

• Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2012, 05:24:48 pm »
      I've got a Jagg oil cooler on my bike.  Works great.  Installation was not bad.
      I think Jagg still makes them - but not sure.  Check their web site.

dT

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2012, 05:44:26 pm »
      I've got a Jagg oil cooler on my bike.  Works great.  Installation was not bad.
      I think Jagg still makes them - but not sure.  Check their web site.

dT

Just checked the JAGG site, they are still selling...  ;D

http://www.jagg.com/4800.html

Veego

« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2012, 06:20:59 pm »
      A Jagg cooler would work well. Think I'd want one that goes low across the frame and in front of the engine instead of mounted to one of the frame legs. Not sure if a fan would be needed or not since the Raider engine cools better than a H-D engine. Thermostat is a must of course. Thanks for the link Bill.

raider58

• Road Star
      « Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2012, 06:25:17 pm »
      I just started looking around, but... I haven't run across any oil coolers that will bolt onto our bike.  Friend of mine rides an HD Ultraclasssic and just got done installing a "Ultracool oil cooler"  http://www.ultracoolfl.com/  ... so far he has been very happy with it, I was wondering If thier is something out their we could use on the Raider...
      .      I use the jagg universal cooler they make the adaptor to bolt right on, it is spendy though. look at my photos to see .

Veego

« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2012, 06:47:04 pm »
      Nice location and should work really well.

Peter Pollock

• Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2012, 06:53:58 pm »
      have had no problems with my Jagg cooler.  No extra fan required.  just mount the air cooler for the oil on the frame in a place where it gets good air circulation while you are riding.

a guy told me that it might be better to use rubber hoses that have braided metal protection on the outside.  that way a foreign object can't bounce up and cut your oil lines.  I didn't bother to go that far in my installation - just used the hoses that Jagg provided.  It has worked fine for me so far.  Just inspect the hoses occasionally.

cheers,
      dT

marcelmot

• Roadliner
      « Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2012, 08:48:29 am »
      I'm willing to buy the pro-one oil cooler , as a winter project.
      http://www.pro-one.com/201100_Oil_Cooler_p/201100.htm

I like more the design of pro-one cooler, but I think the Jagg one, has a better coolling ...
      My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
      "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2012, 10:12:12 am »
      Here's another option...protection and cooling

http://www.buckslowers.com/

This wouldn't be a bad option.  Has anyone used this?