Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Oil cooler ???  (Read 2062 times)

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Oil cooler ???
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2012, 01:39:53 PM »
I have seen one on the forum before if i ant mistakeing .
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

umpire3

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2012, 03:17:06 PM »
Stratoliners have oil coolers.  See page 5-9 in the service manaul.

J&P Cylces has an "Exact fit" oil cooler for a Stratoliner : http://www.jpcycles.com/2009-yamaha-stratoliner-s/sifton/oil-coolers/exact-fit.

Matt-va

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
These are all good options, Im just thinking, If I get a cooler for the oil a fan is a must... Im just thinking that if I get caught in parade conditions thats when a fan would work wonders for the oil temp...   after getting stuck in traffic from a over-turned Rig the other day and bad thing was had to travel like 5 miles and took about an hour stop and go, stop and go.... really sucked... just really got me thinking... and at the least getting some sort of oil temp gauge.. air cooled motor and all.....

102~2~113

• Big Brother
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2012, 08:25:19 AM »

theurbanlegend

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2012, 02:55:17 PM »
The biggest mistake of my life was not buying a raider sooner

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »
Here's the OEM for the liner:
http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004648ff8700209bc795b18/oil-cooler

A little over 4 bills.
You forgot the oil filter adaptor plate...#22 on this diagram>>$55.02
http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004648ff8700209bc795b18/oil-cooler

Just scored a used strat oil cooler and lines for $50 off ebay.  Since I just changed my oil it'll likely be a while before I install but when i will I'll try and do a how to.

So which is part #22.  There are only like 12 parts on the diagram.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2013, 04:25:53 PM by Capt_Zoom »
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Hunterman

« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »
I have a Stratoliner oil cooler and changed the oil filter adaptor on my Raider. It looks like it came from the factory that way. The mounting hole is already on the left side front frame. I priced it out for a friend if you bought new, it was about $700.00. I got my cooler used with the bracket and bought the hoses and adaptor new. The hoses were not cheap.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2013, 05:32:38 PM »
I have a Stratoliner oil cooler and changed the oil filter adaptor on my Raider. It looks like it came from the factory that way. The mounting hole is already on the left side front frame. I priced it out for a friend if you bought new, it was about $700.00. I got my cooler used with the bracket and bought the hoses and adaptor new. The hoses were not cheap.

What does the mount bracket look like?  I'm hoping he'll toss that in since its worthless without the cooler.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Hunterman

« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2013, 06:14:36 PM »
The mounting bracket is use to mount the cooler to the frame. It's cheap from yamaha. The bracket also has the rubber vibration mounts. Still cheap if you did not get them. You got a great buy, the cooler is about $400.00 and the hoses is another $200.00.

Hunterman

« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2013, 06:53:51 PM »
Capt Zoom, there are a couple of other things you also need to know. There is no thermostat to control the oil flow to the cooler. When I ride in 40F-50F weather, I have a leather rap with snaps that I put around the oil cooler because the air is so cool while riding and not needed to be cooled. The engine reaches operating temperature as normal. In the 60'sF, I start off with the rap on, and as the day warms up, I then take rap off. 70'sF and up, no rap. When I checked the engine temperature in summer months, it's normal and the cooler keeps the oil temperature stable and not cooking it. The engine does get to normal operating temperature regardless of the air temperature.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2013, 07:00:33 PM »
Capt Zoom, there are a couple of other things you also need to know. There is no thermostat to control the oil flow to the cooler. When I ride in 40F-50F weather, I have a leather rap with snaps that I put around the oil cooler because the air is so cool while riding and not needed to be cooled. The engine reaches operating temperature as normal. In the 60'sF, I start off with the rap on, and as the day warms up, I then take rap off. 70'sF and up, no rap. When I checked the engine temperature in summer months, it's normal and the cooler keeps the oil temperature stable and not cooking it. The engine does get to normal operating temperature regardless of the air temperature.

Good to know.  If I can find my infared thermometer, I'll try and chart some readings to do the same with a wrap like you did.  Thanks.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

theurbanlegend

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
Here's the OEM for the liner:

A little over 4 bills.
You forgot the oil filter adaptor plate...#22 on this diagram>>$55.02

Just scored a used strat oil cooler and lines for $50 off ebay.  Since I just changed my oil it'll likely be a while before I install but when i will I'll try and do a how to.

So which is part #22.  There are only like 12 parts on the diagram.
Sorry about that.The link brings up a full parts page.
Click on CHANGE ASSEMBLY and go to the OIL PUMP page.As I said #22
The biggest mistake of my life was not buying a raider sooner

Paladin

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:36:46 PM »
If you run the Liner oil cooler and continue to use the Raider's stock front fender, you may damage the cooler due to a rock of stone comming off the the back of the front tire and impacting the cooler. It would only take one.

Because the Raider's engine comes to operating temperature quickly, oil cooler thermostats, fans or wraps are unnecessary.
Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »
If you run the Liner oil cooler and continue to use the Raider's stock front fender, you may damage the cooler due to a rock of stone comming off the the back of the front tire and impacting the cooler. It would only take one.

Because the Raider's engine comes to operating temperature quickly, oil cooler thermostats, fans or wraps are unnecessary.

I run a full wrap.  Damaging the oil cooler has always been a concern as well when I've thought about doing this.  I'm hoping it mounts high enough that I can keep my fork bag that's mounted on the low downtubes.  That would also offer some protection.  My last thought is that it couldn't hurt to have a little more oil in the raider even without the cooling.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

marcelm

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2013, 12:45:34 AM »

I run a full wrap.  Damaging the oil cooler has always been a concern as well when I've thought about doing this.  I'm hoping it mounts high enough that I can keep my fork bag that's mounted on the low downtubes.  That would also offer some protection.  My last thought is that it couldn't hurt to have a little more oil in the raider even without the cooling.

or you can use an oil cooler cover
http://www.gingerparts.com/parts/motorcycle-bodywork/oil-cooler-radiator-covers

My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."