Author Topic: another dead battery ...  (Read 3477 times)

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
another dead battery ...
« on: Nov 05, 2012, 09:15:11 am »
Is there a method to diagnosing a dead battery? I hope I can revive the current one as I just bought it beginning of the year.

I know that if I don't start the bike after week, the battery is almost dead. This time it could be due to a trickle charger that broke down ... not sure. But I think that based on my friend leaving his battery in his bike all winter last year and being able to fire it up in the spring, there must be something drawing from my battery.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

silverstreak

another dead battery ...
    « Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2012, 09:26:58 am »
    unhook the positive lead, put a voltmeter on the battery positive terminal and the other lead of the meter to the disconnected pos cable and set for Vdc and see what the draw is. start pulling fuses to see what goes away and that is yer problem circuit.

dreadly

• living the dream
    • Global Moderator
    • Raider
    Re: another dead battery ...
    « Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2012, 09:34:21 am »
    Thanks Toxic!

• Advertisement

RedLineRick

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2012, 09:41:20 am »
      Do you have LEDs? If so, do you have a kill switch for them? Most of the color changing ones draw power through the control module 24/7 and will drain the battery if you don't kill the power to them.

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2012, 09:44:15 am »
      Do you have LEDs? If so, do you have a kill switch for them? Most of the color changing ones draw power through the control module 24/7 and will drain the battery if you don't kill the power to them.

I have added a PVC
      a few years ago I did have running lights - but those have been removed
      added a 12v outlet this year but the problem existed prior to adding this.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2012, 10:00:59 am »
      Are you riding mostly short trips...that will drain a battery.
      Also your Regulator/Rectifier, or generator could be messing up the charging.
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2012, 10:05:10 am »
      Are you riding mostly short trips...that will drain a battery.
      Also your Regulator/Rectifier, or generator could be messing up the charging.

I don't know any different than most ... ride to work during the week. Sometimes a short trip in the evening - then a longer trip on the weekends.

StrykerBilly

• Warrior
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2012, 11:16:14 am »
      Toxic had a good suggestion but keep in mind these phantom draws can be a bear to locate.  Also, like was suggested run a test on the battery/charging system to make sure it is fine.  YouTube has a video on it but test the battery with ignition off, ignition on, crank to start and running.  You should have 4 sets of readings to confirm.  On my Stryker I removed the fuel pump fuse so the bike would crank but not start.  Otherwise catching how low it dips between ignition on, cranking and starting can be hard if it catches right away.  A 1 year old battery should be fine but you never know.  It could have a faulty cell that is getting worse.

I'd start with the really obvious: battery connections.  Before unscrewing anything, grab the positive and then the negative side and see if they move. Also look for any signs of corrosion there.  Missing or weak connections to ground can cause all sorts of problems.

As much as we hate to admit it some of the mods we do can be the source of problems down the road.  Check those out first although it sounds like this problem may have predated some of them.

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2012, 11:23:30 am »
      Dreadly, first and foremost take that baterry back to were you bought it and get a new one, it has to have a warranty if it is only 1 year old.  Now with a brand new fully charged battery go through the motions the others have suggested, it has to be in there somewhere.  Good luck.

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2012, 11:31:57 am »
      Could I try a jumping my battery using the wife's bike?

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2012, 11:48:38 am »
      Could I try a jumping my battery using the wife's bike?

Yes, that may or may not work depending on the overall drain on your battery.  If it is totally dead it won't do a thing but give it a shot, make sure your wife's bike is running and let it sit there for a few minutes then give it a crank.

Motodad393

• Road Star
      « Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2012, 03:49:19 pm »
      My raider has 41,000+ miles and will be four years old on Jan. 28, 2013.  Still running stock battery but I am thinking about changing batteries to avoid a future problem.  Not sure when.  Still cranks like new, but I ride almost nearly every weekend unless I am gimped up with foot problems.

I have heard they have a new lithium ion battery that is $$$$ for sale.  Considering that, but I have not heard anything about them.

Ride Safe
      MD393 :raider:

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2012, 03:54:40 pm »
      The lithium ion battery is about twice the price of a regular battery, but it also has twice the warranty.   I only got about a year out of my last battery, but that's running on it year round in high heat.

Madcow

• Liquid lighting
      • Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2012, 08:48:51 am »
      Dred, check the leads form the the accessory plug under your seat. Mine shorted out and fried through. If you only have a small rub it might be pulling the battey down.
      "Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries." - James A. Michener
      May your road be smooth yet twisty.
      Let your mods turn all heads and torque make you thirsty.
      I hope the ride will take you to a place that makes your spirit sing.
      And put a smile on your face, for the blessings this day will bring.   Madcow 11

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2012, 10:24:02 am »
      thanks MC ...
      I will look into this next year I guess ... battery is dead. I tried jumping it with the wife's bike and it would stay running until I disconnected the jumper cables.