Author Topic: another dead battery ...  (Read 3476 times)

the urban legend

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Re: another dead battery ...
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2012, 07:06:45 pm »
thanks MC ...
I will look into this next year I guess ... battery is dead. I tried jumping it with the wife's bike and it would stay running until I disconnected the jumper cables.
Not a good sign.
Do you have a voltmeter?If you do,use the wife's bike's battery to start your Raider and measure the voltage between the positive and negative terminals.If you don't have at least 13.5V then you have a charging system problem.I know the manual says 14.2-14.8V but that's the "no load regulated voltage".Everything electrical is a load.
To get an accurate reading you need a good battery with a good charge,so don't just jumper on to it.Either replace the battery completely,or disconnect both cables and jumper from the good battery to the cables.And if your wife's battery is still in her bike,keep the ignition off.

And by the way,you should avoid disconnecting the battery when the engine is running,or anytime the ignition is on.The sudden change in voltage creates a spike,or power surge,that can damage the ECU's tiny circuits and cause premature failure.The same advice applies to cars.
I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

silverstreak

« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2012, 12:23:54 am »
    thanks MC ...
    I will look into this next year I guess ... battery is dead. I tried jumping it with the wife's bike and it would stay running until I disconnected the jumper cables.
    Not a good sign.
    Do you have a voltmeter?If you do,use the wife's bike's battery to start your Raider and measure the voltage between the positive and negative terminals.If you don't have at least 13.5V then you have a charging system problem.I know the manual says 14.2-14.8V but that's the "no load regulated voltage".Everything electrical is a load.
    To get an accurate reading you need a good battery with a good charge,so don't just jumper on to it.Either replace the battery completely,or disconnect both cables and jumper from the good battery to the cables.And if your wife's battery is still in her bike,keep the ignition off.

And by the way,you should avoid disconnecting the battery when the engine is running,or anytime the ignition is on.The sudden change in voltage creates a spike,or power surge,that can damage the ECU's tiny circuits and cause premature failure.The same advice applies to cars.

ether the battery is bad, or rectifier/regulator is toast or the stator is fried. one of these three. if i were there i could find the problem for you in minutes.

Flipper

• SEA-ROAR Member
    • Warrior
      • JW Publishing Corp
    « Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2012, 12:29:30 am »
    Going to be replacing mine soon.  Went to start it the other day and nothing, it would click but wouldn't turn over.  Went back out to put charger on it so I could start it up and to my surprise it started right up with no issue.  Going to replace it no matter just to be on the safe side.
    Stealth Bike

• Advertisement

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2012, 08:15:04 am »
      thanks MC ...
      Not a good sign.

Would the reading be valid since it's using the other battery for juice?

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2012, 09:05:07 am »
      thanks MC ...
      Not a good sign.

ether the battery is bad, or rectifier/regulator is toast or the stator is fried. one of these three. if i were there i could find the problem for you in minutes.

Dreadly- I think Toxic is hinting for a free trip to Canada.

silverstreak

another dead battery ...
      « Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2012, 11:25:08 am »
      lol i hear the ladies up there are quite the sight?

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #21 on: Nov 07, 2012, 07:28:32 pm »
      thanks MC ...
      Not a good sign.

Would the reading be valid since it's using the other battery for juice?
      As long as you have just one good battery connected to the Raider the reading should be good.If your voltage readings are good,then your original battery is the problem.If your readings are low or if the voltage goes down slowly as the engine idles,then you're looking at a charging system problem and replacing the battery will only mask the problem for a few days.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.