Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Cobra fi2000 powrpro  (Read 2839 times)

sr975j

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Cobra fi2000 powrpro
« on: Nov 06, 2012, 05:45:51 PM »
hey, im new to the fourm and this is my first post. I bought a 2009 Raider S about 2 months ago. It is stock other than the LA Choppers exhaust and 250 rear. I am looking into the FI2000 and had a few questions.
I am interested in the FI2000 because of the autotune. I plan on doing the BAK sometime soon and a few other mods here and there as i go. I dont want to have to screw around with the MAPS all the time on the power commanders.
So here's my main question. My LA chopper exhaust has an o2 sensor. So do i want the FI2000 or the FI2000R?

Also, those of you who have the powrpro, how do you like it?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Cobra fi2000 powrpro
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2012, 06:17:12 PM »
I am assuming that you already have the Power Commander V since these pipes need fuel management to work properly.  Running LAC pipes without fuel management will lead to AFR values outside of normal running on this motor.

I would suggest trying this first.  Try one of the maps I loaded on this site for you LAC pipes for the PCV.  If you like the map (I uploaded one for each setup variation I had + one when I got a free dual cylinder dyno tune).  If one of these gives you the results you like go with it.  THe biggest problem I hear about with the power pro is the lack of flexibility in the tuning of really short pipes.  THe LACs fall into that category of pipe.  The PCV gives you a lot more flexibility to get the most out of your setup and reduce popping. 

« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2012, 06:41:09 PM by Capt_Zoom »
Kick Logic To The Curb!

budaman

• Raider
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2012, 07:56:32 AM »
hey, im new to the fourm and this is my first post. I bought a 2009 Raider S about 2 months ago. It is stock other than the LA Choppers exhaust and 250 rear. I am looking into the FI2000 and had a few questions.
I am interested in the FI2000 because of the autotune. I plan on doing the BAK sometime soon and a few other mods here and there as i go. I dont want to have to screw around with the MAPS all the time on the power commanders.
So here's my main question. My LA chopper exhaust has an o2 sensor. So do i want the FI2000 or the FI2000R?

Also, those of you who have the powrpro, how do you like it?

Thanks in advance,

Sam   
I had the PCV and then I went to the power Pro my bike runs much better quicker response through all the gears it just seams to pull hard, and best of all no more popping. If you don't want to mess with maps and all that stuff the power Pro is your answer and will probably be the generation the way fuel managements are made in the future. Yes it works with the 02 sensor
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2012, 08:43:16 AM by budaman »
2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2012, 08:12:39 AM »
You would want the Fi2000 PowrPro Tuner. This unit ignores the O2 sensor.

budaman

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2012, 08:46:15 AM »
You would want the Fi2000 PowrPro Tuner. This unit ignores the O2 sensor.
I have the protuner Fi2000 my 02 is still hooked up to the pro tuner it does not ignore it works with it. Are you saying yours is not hooked up to your 02
2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2012, 08:49:18 AM »
I'm saying the Cobra does not use the O2 sensor to autotune. At least that's the way I understand it. I could be wrong. I run the PCV with no problems.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »
And each of you saying you like the Power pro have an extra foot of pipe compared to the LAC pipes.  With those pipes you need a lot of flexibility to get the most out of them.  Power pro doesn't provide that.  Lets see you get near 100hp rear wheel with the power pro and those pipes....not going to happen.

Then there's the whole issue of the power pro failing.  How many revisions are they up to now?  The thing is hardly bullet proof like the PCV.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

budaman

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2012, 10:27:29 AM »
He asking about the Cobra Power tuner and anyones opinion, I dont think you are talking about the pro tuner just the Fi2000 maybe. But I know my Protuner fi2000 is piggy backed to the 02 sensor There are more positives about the Protuner then negitive responces and anytime something new roles out there are a few adjustments maybe to be made but I have the first generation and have had no problems with.
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2012, 10:31:04 AM by budaman »
2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2012, 12:34:09 PM »
And each of you saying you like the Power pro have an extra foot of pipe compared to the LAC pipes.  With those pipes you need a lot of flexibility to get the most out of them.  Power pro doesn't provide that.  Lets see you get near 100hp rear wheel with the power pro and those pipes....not going to happen.

Then there's the whole issue of the power pro failing.  How many revisions are they up to now?  The thing is hardly bullet proof like the PCV.

What about v&h 2n2 pipes ?
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

budaman

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »
Pro works with anything go to http://www.cobrausa.com/fuel_compare.php?model_id=149&make_id=6&model=Raider&product_type= Motorcycle Fuel Management and read for yourself or you will here from so many other people and what they know and believe what works for them.
2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2012, 02:37:21 PM »

What about v&h 2n2 pipes ?

Short pipes just like the LAC or Freedoms.  I'm well aware of what the cobra power pro does and what it is, I'm not talking about the DIP switch old crappy one's..  The problem with short pipes is that they are far more difficult to tune and more than a dozen tuners i've talked to have mentioned that any automated system autotune or power pro is going to have problems doing it themselves.  Even with the autotune you have to meticulously check each cells value and adjust for bad cells.  The power pro doesn't offer any flexibility in tuning other than your idle adjustment on the later versions.    With the power pro your getting a magic box that can't be adjusted properly and you don't know if it is working properly, not working properly, or even if its giving you what you want....ITS A GUESS.  Its the same reason everyone hates the early 80's ECU's on bikes.  When it malfunctions you are stuck...you can't adjust it your self to solve the problem.

If you don't want to listen its perfectly fine with me.  With the sheer amount of problems reported here on the power pro (water, first gen not working etc.) one can hardly call it bullet proof.   To my knowledge there is no easy way to upgrade the firmware to fix any programming issue so basically your stuck with an inflexible unit.

While some guys say they have luck with it...super, but most that I've seen have long pipes like drags, swepts, or VH2-1.  I don't think I've seen any with shorter pipes.  Then there's the fact that there is little information via a dyno exhibiting what the cobra power pro is doing.  Are you getting good HP?  Torque?  is your AFR within an acceptable range to not damage your motor...WHO KNOWS.

Yes the guy is asking about the Power Pro...and I'm telling him why NOT to get it or what his other options might be.

With a PCV you get a better unit that's bulletproof, has multiple maps for him that he can use for free, and has the flexibility he'll need to get the most out of those pipes.

Kick Logic To The Curb!

sr975j

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2012, 03:29:03 PM »
ok so heres the rest of the story. i bought the bike about 2 months ago and the exhaust was already one it. from looking at pictures of different exhausts, my guess is that it is LAC. From the picture below, would you guys agree with me?

Also, i do not have a PCV or any tuner at all. I am new to Raiders and appreciate your opinions. So it sounds like the PCV is the way to go.

this is my bike. LAC exhaust or what?

Sam

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2012, 03:59:02 PM »
ok so heres the rest of the story. i bought the bike about 2 months ago and the exhaust was already one it. from looking at pictures of different exhausts, my guess is that it is LAC. From the picture below, would you guys agree with me?

Also, i do not have a PCV or any tuner at all. I am new to Raiders and appreciate your opinions. So it sounds like the PCV is the way to go.

Sam

THose look like the same LAC slash cuts I have.  Pick up a PCV used on here or new and Try out the maps I posted.  You'll be thankful you did.  These pipes are tough to tune.  Also look inside at the baffles.  See if there is baffle packing around them.  When these first came out they didn't have baffle packing and would chirp a bit at idle.  Adding baffle packing solved the problem and made their tone deeper and better. 
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Kevs UK Raider S

• UK Raider Owner
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2012, 04:01:44 PM »
I have a PowrPro and its great for me. It's a "Plug & Play" whereby you need to do nothing. OK, there may be a few faulty ones, but I have the first generation version, with V&H 2:1 pipes, and it has virtually stopped the popping on the overun, except when you back-off all of a sudden, quickly.
I rode over 5000 miles in the US this year, over high mountain (13300 ft above sea level) and at almost sea level roads. It adjusts to your riding and at every altitude without any issues.
I doubt the PCV will do that, as certain maps fit the bill to certain areas, according to how you set it up for your local riding area. When riding into other areas, you will experience popping etc.
The PowrPro sometimes got wet, where it was mounted under the seat. I have rode in storm weather and mine doesn't get wet. Having said that, I have sealed the edges with clear silicone, and put it in a plastic bag for protection. Its been through 100+ degree weather as well, with no problems.
Your choice, but I have zero regrets and would buy another one should I ever need to.
One of only 27 Raider owners in the UK

http://www.raiderrally.com/index.html

sr975j

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »

Sam

THose look like the same LAC slash cuts I have.  Pick up a PCV used on here or new and Try out the maps I posted.  You'll be thankful you did.  These pipes are tough to tune.  Also look inside at the baffles.  See if there is baffle packing around them.  When these first came out they didn't have baffle packing and would chirp a bit at idle.  Adding baffle packing solved the problem and made their tone deeper and better.

ill have to double check if it has the packing or not. i would guess that it does not. it definitely has the chirp you're talking about.

now remember, i am 100% new to the whole PC thing and tuners in general. Will your maps work well in my area? Can things like elevation or even humidity effect the tune?

Sam