Author Topic: Cobra fi2000 powrpro  (Read 8614 times)

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Cobra fi2000 powrpro
« Reply #30 on: Nov 08, 2012, 09:37:13 pm »
I havent had the money to get a controller . Working on getting one soon though hopefully  :fingerscrossed: Right now i am runnin the V&H 2n2 Their a good bit shorter than the stockers. But i am assumeing that would qualify as short pipes ? Either one i get . Its going to have an auto tune with it. Cobra or the Dynojet.

There a short pipe for sure but that interchange they have might add enough restriction to mimic a longer pipe.  I know some harley nighttrain guys with the same pipe and 2 of them tried the power pro and they couldn't get their pipes tuned well.  They said they had more popping and increased heat at the motor which isn't a good sign.  These pipes should profide less restriction than stock pipes and allow heat to escape more.  After a week or so they both went back to using the PCV with a dual cylinder tune.  I'm wondering if the heat was caused by the difference between the cylinder tunes in HD's....up to 10% while the raider is less than 3%.  HD's really benefit from dual cylinder tunes.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2012, 09:38:53 pm by Capt_Zoom »
Kick Logic To The Curb!

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #31 on: Nov 08, 2012, 10:47:38 pm »
    You can tune those with computer too cant you?  Is their an adpter that can change that wide band to fit into the stock  hole ?Right now mine pops a little on decel but its fine with me. I think i had bought bad plugs. Old plugs were tanish good color Changed them road maybe 200 miles had awful mileage (stock pipe still) . Just put on the v&h the other day. Checked the plugs b4 i started it up  with th new pipes to check  see if they may be bad and they were black as chracol.  I am guessin their bad.
    Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    « Reply #32 on: Nov 08, 2012, 11:04:41 pm »
    You can tune those with computer too cant you?  Is their an adpter that can change that wide band to fit into the stock  hole ?Right now mine pops a little on decel but its fine with me. I think i had bought bad plugs. Old plugs were tanish good color Changed them road maybe 200 miles had awful mileage (stock pipe still) . Just put on the v&h the other day. Checked the plugs b4 i started it up  with th new pipes to check  see if they may be bad and they were black as chracol.  I am guessin their bad.

You can definitely tune them using a pcv and autotune.  There isn't an adaptor.  What you'll have to do is drill the hole in the current bung bigger and tap it or weld in a new bung.  THe autotune comes with a new bung if you decide to weld one in.  On most pipes the current bung usually has enough extra material so you can just drill and tap.  I'm sure someone on here has done it for the VH2-2.  Sounds like you're running rich...probably because of the lack of proper fuel managment.  Still rich is a lot better than lean.  You'll want to get a fuel management system and a good map in there.  Installing the PCV and autotune is pretty easy and straightforward.  Loading the map is a breeze as well...especially if you have a laptop.
    Kick Logic To The Curb!

• Advertisement

michael t

• Warrior
        • bersachat.com
      « Reply #33 on: Nov 08, 2012, 11:56:23 pm »
       I wouldn't  call the V&H  2 in2  short  Their nearly as long as my Yamaha drag pipes   In the end you will have to decide . I like my Cobra Pro.  Just plug and play  I installed in less than 30 min and was rideing and enjoying .
           I have a friend that has a indepdent shop.  I asked  him if he was going to carry the Cobra Pro.  He told me no way. Said I make  my money  selling , installing, and tuning.  The Power Pro .
          He said the Cobra was just a 1 shot sell . He liked the repeat customers  who change pipes or he does eng mods  like cams   and they need retuned. 
      [

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

Went the telephone poles look like a solid wall . Your at cruise speed

silverstreak

« Reply #34 on: Nov 09, 2012, 12:24:05 am »
      this is why a little less "flexibility" as one would put it is much easier on my wallet then having to shell out $XXX amount of money to "retune" whenever i put on, new intake/pipes or performance mods.

those that stand to lose money by not having the customer base of power commander retunes wont push or mention something that will lose them money.

to each their own. I save money everytime i do a performance mod and i have almost the same performance as others.

Pay more or ride more? you choose.

marcelmot

• Roadliner
      « Reply #35 on: Nov 09, 2012, 01:25:02 am »

I have the LAChoppers slash cut pipes and the COBRA Fi2000 PowrPro Tuner ..... when using the tuner, I can easy feel, that the bike has much more power than w/o the tuner.

BUT, after reading this topic, I'm concerned now  :(

How can I know that my motor is well tuned ? (should I check fuel consumption, HP & TQ, color of spark plags .... ?)
      If the engine will became hotter, an oil cooler will help ?

My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
      "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #36 on: Nov 09, 2012, 07:54:31 am »
      this is why a little less "flexibility" as one would put it is much easier on my wallet then having to shell out $XXX amount of money to "retune" whenever i put on, new intake/pipes or performance mods.

those that stand to lose money by not having the customer base of power commander retunes wont push or mention something that will lose them money.

to each their own. I save money everytime i do a performance mod and i have almost the same performance as others.

Pay more or ride more? you choose.
      The guys I'm talking to are friend and don't tune my bike..I tune my bike.  Also this knowledge of short pipes has been around long before ECU's were ever created.  Ask any old biker about how troublesome it is to re-jet a carb to really short pipes.  Its just the reality of using short pipes.

Then you can really get deep into it and get into racing pipes where they pipes are tuned to the engine exhaust pulses and it gets even more difficult (in that case the difficulty is creating a pipe that optimizes the exhaust pulses to that its free flowing but also gives the motor the just right exhaust pressure at the just right time).

To truly make sure that my tuning is right what I did was go to a dyno shootout a local shop was having and give the guy a few extra bucks to run the AFR while the bike was doing the shootout.  Cost me $40 total ($30 for the shootout, $10 for the AFR reading).  Then you'll get a nice graph showing where your AFR is across the RPM band.  If you have a problem area you can tweek your map in that area to safeguard your motor.   
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

silverstreak

Cobra fi2000 powrpro
      « Reply #37 on: Nov 09, 2012, 08:06:54 am »
      preachin to the choir man.....

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #38 on: Nov 09, 2012, 08:47:28 am »
      preachin to the choir man.....

Not about preach'in...about helping people understand bikes. 
      I'm happy for those that have found the powerpro to work for them.

But there is no denying that it lacks the flexibility of the PCV that is often needed on short pipes.

Comments like these kinda remind me of those stuck on the HD cool-aid.  Too blind to see the reality of the situation.  Show me a dozen or so guys running the power pro on really short pipes like the Mortons or LAC along with data that the system is keeping the motor in safe AFR parameters and I'm happy to change my tune.  That's not even considering HP and Torque numbers, or the durability of the unit.  I'm all for advancement but can't in good conscious let a guy be led into what might be a nightmare of a unit for his pipes (like the last cobra and vh units were) by folks just trying to spread the cool aid without showing any substantial knowledge of tuning because they simply plugged in a magic box and hoped it was the best thing for their bike.  I'm not trying to be an A$$ or anything but what factual information has been provided here on the benefits of the power pro....not much other than "it works for me, " or "so-and-so's bike rips".

Also I'm not even saying that the best thing in the world is the PCV.  Hell, learning to use the autotune properly can be maddening (why I wrote a how-to).  The best thing would be if Yamaha gave us a programmable ECU and the software to do it.  Then we wouldn't have to shell out $300-500 for a fuel management system.  If I was in charge of Mama Yamaha I'd be selling a unlocked ECU's on bikes and include the software, then use that as an advertising piece for their bikes.  Cut the aftermarket right out of the equation.  I'd sure it wouldn't cost Yamaha barely anything since they already have open units and the software to program them.

Kick Logic To The Curb!

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #39 on: Nov 09, 2012, 09:34:35 am »
      I wish yamaha would sell an unlocked ecu. I would have my laptop hooked up to her .
      Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.