Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Traded In the Raider  (Read 3445 times)

brewskiball

• 2008 Tommy Blue
  • V Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Check out my new invention...beer can basketball...
Re: Traded In the Raider
« Reply #30 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
Yup, I am buying a Vaquero in January for the same reasons. They are way more rare than the HD's and way cheaper. I would still have the Raider except certain old lady cagers can't seem to look both ways before entering an intersection. Time to move on to a bagger with a 6 SPEED!!! you listening Yamaha? Laziness!!!

roadventure

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »
After waiting and waiting for Yamaha to come out with a good touring option I decided I couldn't wait any longer.  I have a 2,000 mile trip coming up in December and then another one in May that will be about 5,000 miles.  The raider was a great bike but the more that I did to it to make it tour worthy, the less I liked the way it looked.

I guess Yamaha is still successful with it's best kept secret............ the Royal Star Venture.  It has everything that H-D has, plus it fits people over 5'-8" tall very well.  And, I'll bet that it is still a lot less $$.

And, if you REALLY don't want the convenience of a trunk it CAN be removed.

gostr8r

• A proud SEA ROAR Member.
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 14, 2012, 05:54:40 PM »
Totally agree about the Venture! Awesome touring bike, but why the anger about our Raiderís 5 speed? I would enjoy a 6th speed OD too, but the fact is that our 5th gear is good enough for cruising at 55 and will still take us pretty damn quickly to 125mph. Our 5th gear is almost the same gear ratio as the Harwee 6th, but we have still a butt load of toque and they have NONE! They could redesign a Raider tranny for that Overdrive 6th, but the price would reflect the extra R&D costs at the MSRP. Personally I would rather see them spend the money on a 6 gallon tank.                                                                                                                                                                       
Yup, I am buying a Vaquero in January for the same reasons. They are way more rare than the HD's and way cheaper. I would still have the Raider except certain old lady cagers can't seem to look both ways before entering an intersection. Time to move on to a bagger with a 6 SPEED!!! you listening Yamaha? Laziness!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2012, 05:56:22 PM by gostr8r »
I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

KenMcCoy

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 15, 2012, 12:44:40 AM »
The venture is a great bike, I was actually leaning towards a used 2009 model. Great bike, but I couldn't get over the carburetors. I could live with the tape deck (just replace it with a gauge package) and the trunk (easily removable)... but carbs? On a newer bike that's pathetic.

The big factor for me with the hd was the 6 gal tank and expanded range.

Anyone see the new Goldwing? That thing looks pretty sweet too.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2012, 12:59:16 AM by KenMcCoy »

bigjohn

« Reply #34 on: Nov 20, 2012, 06:19:28 PM »
yea the raider is in o.d. in 4th and 5th. big john

roadventure

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 30, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
The venture is a great bike, I was actually leaning towards a used 2009 model. Great bike, but I couldn't get over the carburetors. I could live with the tape deck (just replace it with a gauge package) and the trunk (easily removable)... but carbs? On a newer bike that's pathetic.

The big factor for me with the hd was the 6 gal tank and expanded range

Once you understand carburerators, you can appreciate their simplicity.   Simple means reliable.  Since 1983 when Yamaha introduced their V-4 I have not once found any problems anyone has had with the carbs that was not owner created.