Author Topic: Axle Nut on other side?  (Read 583 times)

MR.NASTY

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Axle Nut on other side?
« on: Nov 10, 2012, 07:09:18 AM »
Hey Guys I pulled the wheels off my Raider to get them powdercoated and upgraded to a Cobra Swept exhaust.

Since belt adjustment requires that I remove the exhaust each time to access the axle nut is there any reason why I can not put the axle in from the right side so the nut will be on the left when I put it back together later today?

Thanks

theurbanlegend

• Warrior
Re: Axle Nut on other side?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2012, 07:41:47 AM »
I haven't removed my rear wheel yet (installing a 240 during the winter  ;D ) but looking at the service manual the axle looks like it has the same diameter from one end to the other.The only issue I see is with the ends.I'm thinking that the nut/washer from the right side won't fit on the left.Switching the belt pullers would fix that,but I don't know if they are interchangeable.
I say if the axle is just a straight shaft then it's doable.But I'm just speculating.I'll have to try it when I replace my tire.Maybe somebody who tried it will be willing to share their experience.
The biggest mistake of my life was not buying a raider sooner

A.T.

• Raider
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2012, 07:44:24 AM »
Yes - you can swap the bolt around...you'll also have to swap the alignment adjusters.  It's a 30 min job (at most).  I did so to install an axle mounted license plate holder.

MR.NASTY

• V Star
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2012, 08:17:22 AM »
Thanks for taking the time!

It makes sense for every Raider owner to do that, who wants to pull the exhaust each time.

I guess with stock exhaust it is not such a big deal but with my swepts it involves quite a bit of time to undue all the hose clamps, take the covers off and remove the rear half of the system.

Thanks Again!

Tail dragger

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2012, 01:17:48 PM »
Mr. Nasty, I've got swepts and I don't have to remove my pipes to adjust the belt.  I just took a 12 mm open end and cut it down to about 3 inches so I could get it on the adjusting nut.  Takes a little finesse to get the 27 mm socket on the axle nut, but isn't difficult and I put a section of panty hose covered in duct tape over the pipes so I don't have to worry about scratching them.

MR.NASTY

• V Star
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2012, 07:39:34 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I ended up putting the axle in the other way yesterday when I put it back together.

Budzo

• 2014 ROM Winner
  • Warrior
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2012, 08:05:09 PM »
Thanks for taking the time!

It makes sense for every Raider owner to do that, who wants to pull the exhaust each time.

I guess with stock exhaust it is not such a big deal but with my swepts it involves quite a bit of time to undue all the hose clamps, take the covers off and remove the rear half of the system.

Thanks Again!

The reason every owner doesn't do the swap is because you'll have to remove the exhaust to remove the axle. You're better off learning Tail Dragger's method and you'll never have to remove the exhaust for adjusting or tire changes.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2012, 08:10:08 PM »
I havent had mine off yet . So far . And now i have the V&H 2n2 pipes . So i doubt i will have to now.  I can always use the stubby though for the adjustment bolt like tail dragger stated.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.