Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: New @#$% bars UPDATE!  (Read 2490 times)

Madcow

• Liquid lighting
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
New @#$% bars UPDATE!
« on: Nov 11, 2012, 01:53:50 PM »

Ok.. I'm in the 6th hour with the installation of these bars. A few important things I learned.

First the Cruiser Performance 1.50 inch Punisher Radius bars look good BUT.. getting the wire fed through the openings is a B I T C H!!!!!! They really need to do more to open the hole where the cross bar intersects the raiser inside. It's too small with rough openings that snag the wire. I found out the hard way twine doesn't work because the rough opening cuts it through as soon as you start to pull. Electrical fish tape is imposable due to the small hole and the 90 degree turn.

After searching on youtube I had the UREAKA moment when I saw how they use a small chain to pull the wires through. Its not easy but, it will work. The left hand side required I cut the ends off to fit through the tight opening inside. On the throttled side you can take the clip in connectors off.  If your careful you can use a very thin screw driver tip to force the ends of the wire out of the connector. There's a tiny catch inside that you can move back out of the way and the metal connector inside can be pulled out.  BE SURE TO mark what color goes into each hole before you take them out. Also, note in what direction they go into the hole.. it can be inserted 180 degrees off. One last thing.. the bars are just a tad too bigger than stock.. your controls will not clamp closed as they did on the stock bars.  >:(  So far this has been a total POS. Wish me luck in the final stage of the install. I cant see this as being a good thing.. Im in over $250 and I dont like the fit of the controls already. I dont even have them on the bike yet. If the fit gets any worse, I'll go back the stock bars.  We will see.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2012, 09:40:27 AM by Madcow »
"Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries." - James A. Michener
May your road be smooth yet twisty.
Let your mods turn all heads and torque make you thirsty.
I hope the ride will take you to a place that makes your spirit sing.
And put a smile on your face, for the blessings this day will bring.   Madcow 11

wolfraider

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
Re: New @#$% bars
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »
Hang in there brother. You'll get it done!
Nothing is sweeter than success after a great struggle.
To live on two wheels is to live a life in balance!

Madcow

• Liquid lighting
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »
OH MY !@#$% GOD!!!! THOSE JACK WAGONS SENT ME THE WRONG @#$%^ BARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The risers are to close together! I have my bike in a few hundred pieces only to find out they sent me some jacked up CHIT! I am soo mad I am beside myself.. Now what do I do?? Im thinkin' its time to get a lawyer. The cost to replace the wires that I can't get out of the new bars without distroying it plus my time.. Oh yea.. someone is gonna pony up.. Dam skippy..!!!! They are closed today but, ohhhh are they gonna get it in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries." - James A. Michener
May your road be smooth yet twisty.
Let your mods turn all heads and torque make you thirsty.
I hope the ride will take you to a place that makes your spirit sing.
And put a smile on your face, for the blessings this day will bring.   Madcow 11

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2012, 02:38:33 PM »
Sorry man, I'd be calling the CEO of cruiser performance.  They be owing you some major cash for your time and frustration.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

silverstreak

New @#$% bars
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2012, 03:22:47 PM »
i think cruiser performance should be blacklisted on this site. every single person that ive read about having CP bars has had an issue in some way or another.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2012, 03:34:35 PM »
Take a deep breath and walk away for a while. Then go back and put your bike back together the way it was. I, like you, would be super pissed but after that you have to deal with the reality and undo the process. I learned years ago to "dry fit" stuff first. I bet you'll do that from here on out.  A cooler head will ensure you get your bike back together correctly. I doubt you'll get any satisfaction with the vendor. He'll say the same thing I did and probably only offer you a refund at best. Make sure they refund you 100% of what you paid and also send you a shipping label for return freight. That really sucks but you need to shake it off. Good luck.
Ken
2010 Raider
2008 FZ1
JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact

towguy500

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2012, 03:57:14 PM »
You are not the first [erson to get aset of bars from CP.  Mine fit the first time, but I know in our group buy, some got bars that would not fit also.  Like others had said, step back, take a breath, and then work on it some more.  A calmer sense will get you farther and faster to get your bike back together,  I know it sucks, but it will work out.  Good Luck.

jkocr2

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »
Also if the throttle side is powdercoated all the way to the end of the bar your throttle grip wont spin freely. Youll most likely have to sand the powdercoat down or hollow out the inside of your throttle tube a bit. 

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

budaman

• Raider
  • Referrals: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2012, 05:32:01 PM »

Ok.. I'm in the 6th hour with the installation of these bars. A few important things I learned.

First the Cruiser Performance 1.50 inch Punisher Radius bars look good BUT.. getting the wire fed through the openings is a B I T C H!!!!!! They really need to do more to open the hole where the cross bar intersects the raiser inside. It's too small with rough openings that snag the wire. I found out the hard way twine doesn't work because the rough opening cuts it through as soon as you start to pull. Electrical fish tape is imposable due to the small hole and the 90 degree turn.

After searching on youtube I had the UREAKA moment when I saw how they use a small chain to pull the wires through. Its not easy but, it will work. The left hand side required I cut the ends off to fit through the tight opening inside. On the throttled side you can take the clip in connectors off.  If your careful you can use a very thin screw driver tip to force the ends of the wire out of the connector. There's a tiny catch inside that you can move back out of the way and the metal connector inside can be pulled out.  BE SURE TO mark what color goes into each hole before you take them out. Also, note in what direction they go into the hole.. it can be inserted 180 degrees off. One last thing.. the bars are just a tad too bigger than stock.. your controls will not clamp closed as they did on the stock bars.  >:(  So far this has been a total POS. Wish me luck in the final stage of the install. I cant see this as being a good thing.. Im in over $250 and I dont like the fit of the controls already. I dont even have them on the bike yet. If the fit gets any worse, I'll go back the stock bars.  We will see.
First off sorry to here you are having so many problems and now to find out they dont even fit. But if you do go with 1.5 bar again just shave the little tip on your controls right off, and they will tighten right down and not move at all. Thats what I did and it works great. Good luck with this project I have done it three times so I know wha you are going through they are a bitch.
2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

Flipper

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2012, 09:38:35 PM »
Something that I ran into on changing out my bars is that Yamaha spacing on the risers is 114mm.  Regular bars are at 110mm.  After 4 different bars from J&P I finally got the right bars that fit.  IT was a freaking nightmare for over three months with the bars.   Not that they have started to rust at the weld seams.  It pissed me off again.   Over the Winter months and recovery time.  I am planning on taking them off and have them powdercoated.  I wish I would have read your post before so I could have mentioned about the spacing of the riser tubes.

Flipper
Crazy skull lookin bike

Simplicity and Logic do not fit in Government Work!

Ares X

• Global Moderator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »
MadCow- Sorry that you have to go through this.  I hope all works out.

Are these the same bars Dreadly fought with for such a long time?  It sounds like similar issues.

Cruiser Performance is off my list of vendors to buy from.

Ron505

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2012, 11:28:31 AM »
MadCowCruiser Performance is off my list of vendors to buy from.

Agreed!  This is just rediculous.  I can't believe how terrible they are.
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive at death safely.

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2012, 11:34:47 AM »
Are these the same bars Dreadly fought with for such a long time?  It sounds like similar issues.

Sounds like it ...

MC ... not sure where you are at, I  had the connectors spaced as evenly as I could and then tapes them up along with a pull strings. I then used WD40 on the tape and pulled them through. Took a while but I did manage to get them through.

The 90 bend is tough ...

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2012, 11:36:11 AM »
Guys, his bars don't fit.
Ken
2010 Raider
2008 FZ1
JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2012, 11:45:39 AM »
Good call t84a ...

They are the wrong fit ... but the issue before that was getting the wiring through the bars.

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --