Custom Raider

Author Topic: PowrPro  (Read 5938 times)

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: PowrPro
« Reply #30 on: Nov 12, 2012, 05:16:19 PM »
There's a version two because if you google Cobra Power Pro Problems or Junk you'll find a lot of interesting posts.

I'm sure there's some history I've missed, which is the basis for your hatred of Cobra.

zakattak

• To win raider of the year.....
  • DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 12, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »
one mans trash is another mans treasure guys! we all know that and what works/didnt work for one may not for another! i personally would like to buy a power pro but some ones seems to think that the parameters its intended for arnt too much larger than the stock ECU...honestly i dont see how that is possible and also if it were so off then they would of been sued already! ...from power pro:

"under every kind of load and under all existing environmental conditions to deliver maximum acceleration.
And no matter which components you change in the future, whether it's a new exhaust system, a freer-flowing air filter setup or even a big-bore hop-up kit with new camshafts, PowrPro continues to analyze and tune your engine for peak performance."

now thats a big statement to make and it be sooooo horribly wrong  ;)

silverstreak

PowrPro
« Reply #32 on: Nov 12, 2012, 06:50:26 PM »
Thanks. I thought the Gen 1 had issues. If not, why is there a Gen 2?
why is there a pc2,3,4,5    its called improvement...

1. Your logic is flawed. There are not multiple versions of the PC III, PCV, etc.
2. I stated this because of posts claiming defects with the original version.
ok yer right im wrong my logic of product advancement can only be justified and correct if it has a different number behind the product name.

gen1 and gen2 i guess means the same damn thing...  my bad...

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 12, 2012, 06:54:01 PM »
I contacted Cobra and they told me there was no Gen 1 or Gen 2. I think the guy's name was Brad.

silverstreak

PowrPro
« Reply #34 on: Nov 12, 2012, 06:57:07 PM »
I contacted Cobra and they told me there was no Gen 1 or Gen 2. I think the guy's name was Brad.
thats because we on this forum named it that to differentiate of the two to those that dont know....

zakattak

• To win raider of the year.....
  • DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 13, 2012, 04:54:18 AM »
lolol so then how do we know what were ordering?

budaman

• Raider
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 13, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »
Call Cobra and ask them that question or you will just keep hearing conflicting stories that will only confuse you more. I have never had a problem with mine and mine is first one they had out. the ones that have had issues it was either something with thewre bike or they live in higher elavations that maybe required something a little different. The pro works great at all speeds pulls like a frieght train and my bike runs way better then it did with PCV plus no more popping so that has to tell you something.
2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 13, 2012, 09:30:05 AM »
There's a version two because if you google Cobra Power Pro Problems or Junk you'll find a lot of interesting posts.

I'm sure there's some history I've missed, which is the basis for your hatred of Cobra.

I have no hatred for it.  It just one way to research a product.  People who have problems are usually rather vocal about the problems they had.  While I think the unit is innovative I don't think its the answer for everyone.  I think it was a bit rushed and lacks dyno results to back up the claims of those who do like it..not that lack of results is a problem for folks who like it.  I'm happy for those who have had a good experience with it.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

silverstreak

« Reply #38 on: Nov 13, 2012, 11:11:06 AM »
very surprised no one has bothered to answer their own questions from this thread whilst utilizing the search function...

http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=15847.0

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 13, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »
very surprised no one has bothered to answer their own questions from this thread whilst utilizing the search function...

That thread you mentioned is why I feel the Power pro was rushed.  What company doesn't seal their unit or at least double check that it can work when submerged.  Glad they made if right for you by giving you a new ver2 unit but unless they seal the box this would be a deal breaker for me, and I don't even ride in the rain that often.  The other problems I've found since when researching it (yep I was thinking of trying it out just because I like to tinker) seem to be due to a lot of bad units (most of this research came from HD's, Hondas, and Kawi's).  It seems to work better (or at least there are fewer complaints) on yamaha's than other bikes. 

Kick Logic To The Curb!

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Nov 13, 2012, 11:32:53 AM »

That thread you mentioned is why I feel the Power pro was rushed.  What company doesn't seal their unit or at least double check that it can work when submerged.  Glad they made if right for you by giving you a new ver2 unit but unless they seal the box this would be a deal breaker for me, and I don't even ride in the rain that often.  The other problems I've found since when researching it (yep I was thinking of trying it out just because I like to tinker) seem to be due to a lot of bad units (most of this research came from HD's, Hondas, and Kawi's).  It seems to work better (or at least there are fewer complaints) on yamaha's than other bikes.

That's because Yamahas ROCK!!!

michael t

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • bersachat.com
« Reply #41 on: Nov 13, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »
I installed mine where  the instruction say .  On top of the ECU  It under the  rubber cover that protects that area . I have my insurance and reg papers right next to it.  I have power washed rode in rain and  nothing ever got wet.   I am still trying to figure out how you all get these so wet .
 I guess I could try jumping my pool and if I fail might get it wet  ;D   
[

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

silverstreak

« Reply #42 on: Nov 13, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »

ok let me debunk this thought.

Talking to Phil long ago in a galaxy far far away...

cobra coats the boards in a automotive resin that "seals" the board to a point. The connector block that the cable plugs into isnt coated in this resin as we all know it would impede any electrical conductivity. This is the issue with the unit and moisture. When they dip it, they dip it down to a point and stop. Yes they could seal the unit and make it impossible to get into and if there was a problem with the unit outside of moisture then the owner would have to totally remove all the wiring tear it out and send it back. Phils thought process on this was to make it easier for the end user to just simply pop open the case, pull the board off and send just the board for warranty if it had a defect. Thus why the case itself isnt sealed.  He also mentioned that they dont fill the case with resin or epoxy or a filler, as trying to get the board out of it would be a PITA and ultimately they would have to replace the board, wiring and case because of this.

IIRC They do submerge test the boards but in plain water and it works fine, up here the road salts are what made conductivity and started ruining the board for a 2 hour rain soaked ride.

Phil is working on another method to waterproof the board better or seal the case itself but the whole premise of how he did things was so that We the users would have to do very little to get the board out and not have to disassemble the bike to get the whole thing out.

pop the seat, pop the case open, pull board out and ship the board. Easy.

other tuners you have to gut the whole thing and cables out to have it fixed.

I am positive that other fuel injection tuners had their share of issues on the first version that was put out and people hated them.

For me i would much rather just put a $.01 ziplock bag on my tuner and not worry about what the hell it looks like under my seat where nobody can see it....   If a person is concerned about having to do this then shut up and dont get the power pro.

I like the fact that i spent my money on a tuner that allows me to do whatever mod i want, whenever i want and not have to pay for a dyno tune every time or another expensive "autotune" unit of which people still end up doing dyno tunes for some reason with it. 

I like that it is plug and play and will adapt to any environment, altitude, humidity, etc etc etc...   

and please tell me how something is rushed when they have been working on the powerpro for many years before its release?  <---- this is from Phil himself.

Class dismissed.

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2012, 02:52:07 PM by TOXIC »

silverstreak

« Reply #43 on: Nov 13, 2012, 02:49:08 PM »
I installed mine where  the instruction say .  On top of the ECU  It under the  rubber cover that protects that area . I have my insurance and reg papers right next to it.  I have power washed rode in rain and  nothing ever got wet.   I am still trying to figure out how you all get these so wet .
 I guess I could try jumping my pool and if I fail might get it wet  ;D

i dont have that plastic cover anymore and there is a gap in the frame pointing right to the rear tire where road spray, riding for 80 miles, will eventually mist and soak that area.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Nov 13, 2012, 04:06:10 PM »

ok let me debunk this thought.

Talking to Phil long ago in a galaxy far far away...

cobra coats the boards in a automotive resin that "seals" the board to a point. The connector block that the cable plugs into isnt coated in this resin as we all know it would impede any electrical conductivity. This is the issue with the unit and moisture. When they dip it, they dip it down to a point and stop. Yes they could seal the unit and make it impossible to get into and if there was a problem with the unit outside of moisture then the owner would have to totally remove all the wiring tear it out and send it back. Phils thought process on this was to make it easier for the end user to just simply pop open the case, pull the board off and send just the board for warranty if it had a defect. Thus why the case itself isnt sealed.  He also mentioned that they dont fill the case with resin or epoxy or a filler, as trying to get the board out of it would be a PITA and ultimately they would have to replace the board, wiring and case because of this.

IIRC They do submerge test the boards but in plain water and it works fine, up here the road salts are what made conductivity and started ruining the board for a 2 hour rain soaked ride.

Phil is working on another method to waterproof the board better or seal the case itself but the whole premise of how he did things was so that We the users would have to do very little to get the board out and not have to disassemble the bike to get the whole thing out.

pop the seat, pop the case open, pull board out and ship the board. Easy.

other tuners you have to gut the whole thing and cables out to have it fixed.

I am positive that other fuel injection tuners had their share of issues on the first version that was put out and people hated them.

For me i would much rather just put a $.01 ziplock bag on my tuner and not worry about what the hell it looks like under my seat where nobody can see it....   If a person is concerned about having to do this then shut up and dont get the power pro.

I like the fact that i spent my money on a tuner that allows me to do whatever mod i want, whenever i want and not have to pay for a dyno tune every time or another expensive "autotune" unit of which people still end up doing dyno tunes for some reason with it. 

I like that it is plug and play and will adapt to any environment, altitude, humidity, etc etc etc...   

and please tell me how something is rushed when they have been working on the powerpro for many years before its release?  <---- this is from Phil himself.

Class dismissed.

Hardly, seems like a poor average for waterproofing when you possibly have a high salinity environment. I give him credit for dipping them but its no excuse for not sealing the case.   Also seems like he just planned to have a bunch of them go to hell so that's why they didn't seal the case.  Hasn't cobra ever heard of a simple connector..bikes are full of them.  Get a good water proof connector and you won't have to remove everything when you send a sealed unit in either.  Kinda the thing I expect from Cobra I guess.
Kick Logic To The Curb!