Raider Patches

Author Topic: PowrPro  (Read 5887 times)

silverstreak

PowrPro
« Reply #45 on: Nov 13, 2012, 07:30:23 PM »
very surprised no one has bothered to answer their own questions from this thread whilst utilizing the search function...

http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=15847.0

That thread you mentioned is why I feel the Power pro was rushed.  What company doesn't seal their unit or at least double check that it can work when submerged.  Glad they made if right for you by giving you a new ver2 unit but unless they seal the box this would be a deal breaker for me, and I don't even ride in the rain that often.  The other problems I've found since when researching it (yep I was thinking of trying it out just because I like to tinker) seem to be due to a lot of bad units (most of this research came from HD's, Hondas, and Kawi's).  It seems to work better (or at least there are fewer complaints) on yamaha's than other bikes.

ok let me debunk this thought.

Talking to Phil long ago in a galaxy far far away...

cobra coats the boards in a automotive resin that "seals" the board to a point. The connector block that the cable plugs into isnt coated in this resin as we all know it would impede any electrical conductivity. This is the issue with the unit and moisture. When they dip it, they dip it down to a point and stop. Yes they could seal the unit and make it impossible to get into and if there was a problem with the unit outside of moisture then the owner would have to totally remove all the wiring tear it out and send it back. Phils thought process on this was to make it easier for the end user to just simply pop open the case, pull the board off and send just the board for warranty if it had a defect. Thus why the case itself isnt sealed.  He also mentioned that they dont fill the case with resin or epoxy or a filler, as trying to get the board out of it would be a PITA and ultimately they would have to replace the board, wiring and case because of this.

IIRC They do submerge test the boards but in plain water and it works fine, up here the road salts are what made conductivity and started ruining the board for a 2 hour rain soaked ride.

Phil is working on another method to waterproof the board better or seal the case itself but the whole premise of how he did things was so that We the users would have to do very little to get the board out and not have to disassemble the bike to get the whole thing out.

pop the seat, pop the case open, pull board out and ship the board. Easy.

other tuners you have to gut the whole thing and cables out to have it fixed.

I am positive that other fuel injection tuners had their share of issues on the first version that was put out and people hated them.

For me i would much rather just put a $.01 ziplock bag on my tuner and not worry about what the hell it looks like under my seat where nobody can see it....   If a person is concerned about having to do this then shut up and dont get the power pro.

I like the fact that i spent my money on a tuner that allows me to do whatever mod i want, whenever i want and not have to pay for a dyno tune every time or another expensive "autotune" unit of which people still end up doing dyno tunes for some reason with it. 

I like that it is plug and play and will adapt to any environment, altitude, humidity, etc etc etc...   

and please tell me how something is rushed when they have been working on the powerpro for many years before its release?  <---- this is from Phil himself.

Class dismissed.

Hardly, seems like a poor average for waterproofing when you possibly have a high salinity environment. I give him credit for dipping them but its no excuse for not sealing the case.   Also seems like he just planned to have a bunch of them go to hell so that's why they didn't seal the case.  Hasn't cobra ever heard of a simple connector..bikes are full of them.  Get a good water proof connector and you won't have to remove everything when you send a sealed unit in either.  Kinda the thing I expect from Cobra I guess.
i see you didnt comprehend what i wrote, im done explaining and ill let you do the naysaying especially since you have zero experience with one.

good day :)

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: PowrPro
« Reply #46 on: Nov 13, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »
I'm buying one.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:51:02 PM »
very surprised no one has bothered to answer their own questions from this thread whilst utilizing the search function...

http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=15847.0

That thread you mentioned is why I feel the Power pro was rushed.  What company doesn't seal their unit or at least double check that it can work when submerged.  Glad they made if right for you by giving you a new ver2 unit but unless they seal the box this would be a deal breaker for me, and I don't even ride in the rain that often.  The other problems I've found since when researching it (yep I was thinking of trying it out just because I like to tinker) seem to be due to a lot of bad units (most of this research came from HD's, Hondas, and Kawi's).  It seems to work better (or at least there are fewer complaints) on yamaha's than other bikes.

ok let me debunk this thought.

Talking to Phil long ago in a galaxy far far away...

cobra coats the boards in a automotive resin that "seals" the board to a point. The connector block that the cable plugs into isnt coated in this resin as we all know it would impede any electrical conductivity. This is the issue with the unit and moisture. When they dip it, they dip it down to a point and stop. Yes they could seal the unit and make it impossible to get into and if there was a problem with the unit outside of moisture then the owner would have to totally remove all the wiring tear it out and send it back. Phils thought process on this was to make it easier for the end user to just simply pop open the case, pull the board off and send just the board for warranty if it had a defect. Thus why the case itself isnt sealed.  He also mentioned that they dont fill the case with resin or epoxy or a filler, as trying to get the board out of it would be a PITA and ultimately they would have to replace the board, wiring and case because of this.

IIRC They do submerge test the boards but in plain water and it works fine, up here the road salts are what made conductivity and started ruining the board for a 2 hour rain soaked ride.

Phil is working on another method to waterproof the board better or seal the case itself but the whole premise of how he did things was so that We the users would have to do very little to get the board out and not have to disassemble the bike to get the whole thing out.

pop the seat, pop the case open, pull board out and ship the board. Easy.

other tuners you have to gut the whole thing and cables out to have it fixed.

I am positive that other fuel injection tuners had their share of issues on the first version that was put out and people hated them.

For me i would much rather just put a $.01 ziplock bag on my tuner and not worry about what the hell it looks like under my seat where nobody can see it....   If a person is concerned about having to do this then shut up and dont get the power pro.

I like the fact that i spent my money on a tuner that allows me to do whatever mod i want, whenever i want and not have to pay for a dyno tune every time or another expensive "autotune" unit of which people still end up doing dyno tunes for some reason with it. 

I like that it is plug and play and will adapt to any environment, altitude, humidity, etc etc etc...   

and please tell me how something is rushed when they have been working on the powerpro for many years before its release?  <---- this is from Phil himself.

Class dismissed.

Hardly, seems like a poor average for waterproofing when you possibly have a high salinity environment. I give him credit for dipping them but its no excuse for not sealing the case.   Also seems like he just planned to have a bunch of them go to hell so that's why they didn't seal the case.  Hasn't cobra ever heard of a simple connector..bikes are full of them.  Get a good water proof connector and you won't have to remove everything when you send a sealed unit in either.  Kinda the thing I expect from Cobra I guess.
i see you didnt comprehend what i wrote, im done explaining and ill let you do the naysaying especially since you have zero experience with one.

good day :)

I comprehended every word that you wrote a$$hat.  And its not like you understand a single thing about true tuning on a motorcycle in the first place, or else I wouldn't have to have explained to you multiple times the differences in tuning short pipes.  You know absolutely nothing about the PCV or autotune but continually state that you have to spend so much EXTRA money on it.  In truth you don't...since the PCV is cheaper than the power pro and numerous retailers.  Further should one not find a good map on this very forum then can then OPT for the auto tune accessory...which if you look around can still be had for lower price than the power pro.  Those of us who have used dyno centers are still ofter receiving these services for a LOWER price than your magic box power pro.

If you knew a dang thing about tuning you would realize that the power pro is quite limited in what you as a user have control over.  The PCV does not have such limitations.

I have tried to be as open minded as I can about your ramblings and over-glorification without any documented or factual dyno proof of the power pro and its been amusing considering the wealth of people who have experienced problem with the unit.  Not a single statement I have made up until this post has disparaged the unit and I am honestly thankful that there are options.  However, just because I offer a counter point about the power pro's flaws doesn't mean I am personally against the product.  While I've never been overly impressed with Cobras claims this product or others their product does represent an innovation which I do in fact feel is a good thing...even if they failed to account for some of the most basic things in their design (i.e. the case). 

So how about taking your head out of your a$$ now and STFU with your accusations about nay-saying.  What has been mentioned are legitimate concerns and known problems & limitations with the power pro.  Guess you're just too drunk on the power pro cool-aid to see it.  Bizarre since you yourself posted and experienced the biggest design flaw to the unit.  With the way your posting you'd think this Phil is paying for your statements.  Grow a pair and open your mind and maybe then you can have an adult conversation about a product.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Nov 13, 2012, 09:14:33 PM »
OK.... having disagreements are one thing.

Demeaning/calling names will not be tolerated.

Time to cool down....  I've locked this thread and will "reopen" it tomorrow.

At the very least, agree to disagree. 

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Nov 14, 2012, 07:10:37 AM »
Ok.... I've unlocked this thread. 

July 2009

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

L.T.T.

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Nov 14, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »
Ding ding ding,,,,, round two...  :sumo:
2004 ZX10R... Modded and sold
2007 GSXR 750... Modded and sold
2008 M109R-- Seriously modded and sold
2011 Ninja 1000-- modded and sold
2012 Raider S-- current ride

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Nov 14, 2012, 07:53:03 AM »
Did you have to use that 17 inch extension wire for your cobra pro you had?
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

L.T.T.

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:34:49 AM »
Did you have to use that 17 inch extension wire for your cobra pro you had?
Yes. The extension wire was for the pipes, not the tuner.
2004 ZX10R... Modded and sold
2007 GSXR 750... Modded and sold
2008 M109R-- Seriously modded and sold
2011 Ninja 1000-- modded and sold
2012 Raider S-- current ride

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:40:45 AM »

:lolsign:

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --

silverstreak

« Reply #54 on: Nov 14, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »
Grow a pair and open your mind and maybe then you can have an adult conversation about a product.

an adult conversation? should i take your lead based on your childish tissy fit?  lol   you know nothing of what i have done, what im capable of doing and your whole post is filled with speculation. stomping your feet and calling names does nothing to help your cause.

good day. :D
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2012, 02:10:12 PM by TOXIC »

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Nov 14, 2012, 02:01:32 PM »
Let's just let it rest.

You are both valued members on this forum with a lot of good information and you've both personally helped me. I would hate to see this escalate and have anyone get banned.

Look at that... The God of War is trying to save the peace.

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Nov 14, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »
Let's just let it rest.

You are both valued members on this forum with a lot of good information and you've both personally helped me. I would hate to see this escalate and have anyone get banned.

Look at that... The God of War is trying to save the peace.

:agree:

July 2009

THUNDER

• Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Nov 14, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »
X-3
THUNDER
You can watch stuff happen
You can make stuff happen
Or you can say what the hell happened....Quote from ..Capt. Phil...R.I.P.
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER

[img]http://www.roadstarraider.

silverstreak

« Reply #58 on: Nov 14, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »
x4 ;D

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Nov 14, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »
Toxic,
Your right I don't know what you've done or are capable of I apologize for calling you a name after you called me a nay-sayer.  The reality is that I value you as a member here, I believe we hung our for a little bit at the raider rally in sturgis as well (correct me if I'm wrong).  You seemed like a stand up guy.

By adult conversation I'm referring to being open minded enough to clearly see both the benefits and limitations of a product and not be suckered in by a placebo effect of marketing or wanting our own purchases to be the known as the best product.

I'v had this same drag out argument before with others on this forum (dawn with her homemade BAK).  I'll say it now just as I said it then, until there are reliable results via dyno showing raw HP, torque, and running AFR there is zero reason to believe any of your claims.  And that's not even considering the QC issues with the unit.  Myself and other tuners on this forum who have contacted me in the last 24 hours feel that the problems mentioned are valid and shouldn't be ignored by cobra.  Some of these members work in the auto-tech industry and some have even had the unit before selling it off.  These folks were simply more reserved than I am, and didn't want to get sucked into drama.  i hate drama as well but I can't in good conscious let people be suckered into a unit without thinking about both the benefits and limitations of such a unit.  Toxic, I hope you can understand where I am coming from...I truly bear you no Ill will.

CZ

Kick Logic To The Curb!