Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: fuel... super vrs regular  (Read 4014 times)

RangerRick

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: fuel... super vrs regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2012, 07:25:23 AM »
True or false, every once in a great while when a gas station runs out of regular fuel remember hearing that you're supposed to get the midgrade.  The rumor was that midgrade was just regular mixed with premium so if they were out of regular you'd be getting premium at midgrade price.  Anyone know for sure?

True for the blending of mid-grade, at least in this part of Oregon. I found out the reason the big name brand stations around here don't carry Clear Premium (ethanol free) is they only have 2 tanks in the ground for gasoline, 1 for regular and 1 for premium. Hence the mid grade is blended at the pump.

I have to find a small mom and pop joint to buy clear premium, usually near areas where boaters are found
2009 Raider XV19CYS
ANG Member 25 years
Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2012, 07:29:15 AM »
As I was fueling my new Raider yesterday from one of those pumps that run 3 grades through one hose, it occurred to me that my two gallons of premium was probably 1 gallon of regular and 1 gallon of premium.  I am going to avoid that type of pump going forward where possible.

Almost impossible to find a multiple hose pump in Texas.
Around here that is almost all that they are is multiple hose pumps ;D . Their are a few single hose pumps.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2012, 09:33:20 AM »
As I was fueling my new Raider yesterday from one of those pumps that run 3 grades through one hose, it occurred to me that my two gallons of premium was probably 1 gallon of regular and 1 gallon of premium.  I am going to avoid that type of pump going forward where possible.

Almost impossible to find a multiple hose pump in Texas.

Same in AZ as well.

Is there really as much as a gallon that can be stored in the hose?  That seems like a lot. I could maybe see half a gallon.

budaman

• Raider
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2012, 09:39:06 AM »
I owned a gas station and most of it gets drained out of the hose so you would not even get a dixxy cup out of it. Next time you go to a gas staion before you turn the pump on just hold the hose to the ground and see if you get anything out of it.
2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »
I owned a gas station and most of it gets drained out of the hose so you would not even get a dixxy cup out of it. Next time you go to a gas staion before you turn the pump on just hold the hose to the ground and see if you get anything out of it.

That's pretty much what I figured.

Tail dragger

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2012, 10:18:12 AM »
I worked in a gas station (decades ago) before the pumps were anywhere near as efficient as they are now and I kept a can by the pumps and drained the hose after I gassed up each car (long before self serve) and at the end of a 12 hour day, bet I didn't have a quart in the can.  I don't think you have to worry about the mix.  I am much more concerned abouth the ethenol. 

jim

• Raider
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »
I worked in a gas station (decades ago) before the pumps were anywhere near as efficient as they are now and I kept a can by the pumps and drained the hose after I gassed up each car (long before self serve) and at the end of a 12 hour day, bet I didn't have a quart in the can.  I don't think you have to worry about the mix.  I am much more concerned abouth the ethenol.

I read that there is approx. 1/3 gallon of residual fuel left in hoses. So you have to take this into concideration. If you fill at 100% all the time should not be an issue but if you fill up often while still having a good percentage of gas left... well... octane % will vary

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong."

budaman

• Raider
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2012, 10:54:39 AM »

I read that there is approx. 1/3 gallon of residual fuel left in hoses. So you have to take this into concideration. If you fill at 100% all the time should not be an issue but if you fill up often while still having a good percentage of gas left... well... octane % will vary
I dont believe it
2010 & 2012 ROM WINNER

Tail dragger

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:05:44 AM »
Take the hose next time you fill up and before you start the pump, drain the hose on the pavement.  Not much come out.  If there was 1/3 of a gallon, I'd be taking a can and walk around all the pumps draining the hoses.  You could almost make a living doing that at a busy station.

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:32:30 AM »
Somebody check my math:

Assume the hose is .5" ID and 8' long.  That's (.25^2*3.1416*96) cubic inches of volume = 18 cubic inches or 0.01 cubic feet or roughly .08 gallon. 

Does seem to match what Taildragger said. 

jim

• Raider
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »
I knew I read it somewhere.... took a while but here.. Not saying its accurate just that I saw it somewhere... :o

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122944043385810527.html

And whats with this E15 blend of fuel??
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2012, 11:37:55 AM by jim »

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong."

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »
I don't buy it.

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2012, 12:04:11 PM »
I don't buy it.

Ummmm....  :thinking:

...me either.   

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2012, 06:03:47 PM »
E follwed by any number is the volumetric percent of ethanol that MAY be present in the fuel.  I other words, E15 means it could have up to 15% ethanol instead of the more common 10% E10 now available. 

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 14, 2012, 07:13:51 PM »
Somebody check my math:

Assume the hose is .5" ID and 8' long.  That's (.25^2*3.1416*96) cubic inches of volume = 18 cubic inches or 0.01 cubic feet or roughly .08 gallon. 

Does seem to match what Taildragger said.
Ok you lost me when you said check my math
MAGGIE VALLEY RIDES
http://mixs.ee/1xnr