Author Topic: fuel... super vrs regular  (Read 10490 times)

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
Re: fuel... super vrs regular
« Reply #30 on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:04:52 pm »
Somebody check my math:

Assume the hose is .5" ID and 8' long.  That's (.25^2*3.1416*96) cubic inches of volume = 18 cubic inches or 0.01 cubic feet or roughly .08 gallon. 

Does seem to match what Taildragger said.
Ok you lost me when you said check my math

RK... I can't stop laughing....

Me to...  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You have to forgive TRJ.... sometimes he just like showin' off.    :rotfl:
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2012, 08:20:42 pm by Mr. T »

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

jim

• Raider
    • Referrals: 4
    « Reply #31 on: Nov 15, 2012, 05:25:37 am »
    E follwed by any number is the volumetric percent of ethanol that MAY be present in the fuel.  I other words, E15 means it could have up to 15% ethanol instead of the more common 10% E10 now available.

I read that this would be the new standard 15% ethanol... so how will this affect the raider engine??

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 5
    « Reply #32 on: Nov 15, 2012, 06:32:42 am »
    There is research underway to determine that.  The AMA is petitioning the govt. to delay any action on approving the E15 standard until the research is complete and we have a better idea of what the impacts will be on air-cooled engines in particular.  For now, the new orange and black label must appear on fuel pumps that dispense E15. This label will help inform consumers about which vehicles can use E15. This label will also warn consumers against using E15 in vehicles older than model year 2001, motorcycles, watercraft, and gasoline-powered equipment such as lawnmowers and chainsaws.

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #33 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:45:07 am »
      I wasn't aware of that.  Good to know.  Thanks!

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #34 on: Nov 15, 2012, 05:59:16 pm »
      I wish they would stop usin corn completely so it will go down in price. And we get better gasoline ..
      Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Jeremy

• Ride to Live, Live to Ride
      • Warrior
      « Reply #35 on: Nov 15, 2012, 07:56:51 pm »
      I wish they would stop usin corn completely so it will go down in price. And we get better gasoline ..

The corn used for Ethanol is not Food Grade Corn.  I does nothing to the price of the corn you purchase to eat.  I do agree it sucks as a gasoline though!

GlacierBlue

• Road Star
      « Reply #36 on: Nov 18, 2012, 07:46:25 pm »
      Somebody check my math:

Assume the hose is .5" ID and 8' long.  That's (.25^2*3.1416*96) cubic inches of volume = 18 cubic inches or 0.01 cubic feet or roughly .08 gallon. 

Does seem to match what Taildragger said.

Thanks for straightening me out on this.  I am feeling a lot better about gassing up at these shared hose pumps.
      Chris in Edinboro PA
      2011 Raider S in Glacier Blue

Paladin

• Roadliner
      « Reply #37 on: Nov 19, 2012, 02:06:11 am »

The corn used for Ethanol is not Food Grade Corn.  I does nothing to the price of the corn you purchase to eat.  I do agree it sucks as a gasoline though!
      Well, stand by. They're about to start a test program in San Francisco, wherer they're going to be adding a type of algae to the gasoline. And no, I'm not hallucinating. Well, OK maybe just a little.
      Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #38 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:38:15 am »
      If i am not mistakein their is an algae that produces oil or can be refined to make somthin of that sort

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #39 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:47:21 am »
      If i am not mistakein their is an algae that produces oil or can be refined to make somthin of that sort

You might be thinking of a project started by University of California - Berkley run by professor Jay Keasling.
      http://newscenter.lbl.gov/news-releases/2011/11/29/e-coli-make-three-fuels/
      If this isn't the same, then it is certainly another potential method to supply fuel.

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Raider
      « Reply #40 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:53:07 am »
      I have been tracking the development of alternative fuels for years as part of my job.  Algae has been the source of a lot of R&D for the production of alcohols, biodiesel and even hydrogen. The Department of Energy has a whole laboratory for it. From their website:

"Algae-based biofuels hold enormous potential for helping reduce our dependence on foreign oil. In a study released last year, the Department’s Pacific Northwest National Laboratory found that 17 percent of the United States’ imported oil for transportation could be replaced with homegrown, algae-based biofuels. At the Energy Department, we’re investing in projects that will accelerate technological breakthroughs to scale-up this promising, homegrown resource."

Notice how that was worded - 17% - imported - for transportation - could...

Matt_Krush

• Road Star
      « Reply #41 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:23:29 pm »

No, but it is the grade corn used to feed animals that we do eat and take up farm land that could be producing a different product.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #42 on: Nov 20, 2012, 07:39:43 am »
      I was talkin about them usin corn period . It makes price of food go up . I dont eat corn much . But i sure do eat porky th pig ;D ;D  and chicken.

bigjohn

« Reply #43 on: Nov 20, 2012, 06:25:51 pm »
      unless the laws of physics cease to exist in yamahaville, a 9.5 to 1 motor will run just fine on 87 octane. new world b.s. vs. old school h.p. big john

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
      « Reply #44 on: Nov 23, 2012, 02:59:52 pm »
      unless the laws of physics cease to exist in yamahaville, a 9.5 to 1 motor will run just fine on 87 octane. new world b.s. vs. old school h.p. big john
      Bigjohn, I don't know what B.S. you are referring to but an air-cooled 9.5/1 motor is certainly a candidate for premium fuel. What are your credentials?
      "If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"