Custom Raider

Author Topic: fuel... super vrs regular  (Read 3103 times)

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: fuel... super vrs regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 23, 2012, 07:22:47 PM »
unless the laws of physics cease to exist in yamahaville, a 9.5 to 1 motor will run just fine on 87 octane. new world b.s. vs. old school h.p. big john

Octane rating has nothing to do with how much (power) it has. Has to do with compression rateing. How much it can withstand before ignition.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Wassup77

• Road Star
    • View Profile
fuel... super vrs regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 23, 2012, 07:50:35 PM »
unless the laws of physics cease to exist in yamahaville, a 9.5 to 1 motor will run just fine on 87 octane. new world b.s. vs. old school h.p. big john

Octane rating has nothing to do with how much (power) it has. Has to do with compression rateing. How much it can withstand before ignition.
Exactly, and an air cooled motor that naturally runs hotter temps is much more prone to predetonation than a water cooled engine running cooler temps at the same compression.  That's why our bikes require premium.  Hey sweet, did you know at the Alliance station in Laurel you can get 93 octane with no ethanol!

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Nov 23, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »

Exactly, and an air cooled motor that naturally runs hotter temps is much more prone to predetonation than a water cooled engine running cooler temps at the same compression.  That's why our bikes require premium.  Hey sweet, did you know at the Alliance station in Laurel you can get 93 octane with no ethanol!
No i didnt know that.  I was in laurel today. I never even herd of tht place. I will put it n the gps next time i go though

Wassup77

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:20:12 AM »

No i didnt know that.  I was in laurel today. I never even herd of tht place. I will put it n the gps next time i go though
It's on 16th, right across the road from Shoneys.  I work in Laurel all the time, so when I need gas for the bike I just take my gas jug with me in my work truck! Lol

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Nov 24, 2012, 10:51:38 AM »
Thanks. I will tryto fill up their next time . I like the peace of mind my motor isnt bein corroded from inside out.

Wassup77

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Nov 24, 2012, 12:22:48 PM »
I can't say for sure that I see anymore power, but there is no doubt it runs smoother and sounds better without the ethanol.

bikertrsh

• Me & 2010 Raider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Nov 24, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »
The owners manual says to use 91 octane fuel. Most likely due to the 9.5 to 1 compression ratio. I use an alternate mixture on fill ups between 93 and 89 which theoretically would give me an approximate blend of 91 octane.
Help! My 30 year old mind is trapped in a 68 year old body.

Paladin

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Nov 24, 2012, 07:23:28 PM »
The Raider's engine requires premium fuel because of a combination of compression ratio, cylinder volume, and the fact that it's an air cooled engine.
If you can't afford the few extra pennies it costs to run the correct fuel in your Raider, sell it and buy a lawn tractor. You'll be much happier.
Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

Wassup77

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Nov 24, 2012, 07:56:24 PM »
The Raider's engine requires premium fuel because of a combination of compression ratio, cylinder volume, and the fact that it's an air cooled engine.
If you can't afford the few extra pennies it costs to run the correct fuel in your Raider, sell it and buy a lawn tractor. You'll be much happier.

LMAO!  Exactly!  It holds less than 5 gallons and gets 40+ miles to the gallon.  It's still cheaper to ride than 90% of your cages!

Ares X

• Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Nov 26, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »

LMAO!  Exactly!  It holds less than 5 gallons and gets 40+ miles to the gallon.  It's still cheaper to ride than 90% of your cages!

Yeah.  I can't understand taking the chance over a few cents per gallon. Not when we're talking 4 gallons at most when filling up.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Nov 26, 2012, 04:25:19 PM »

Yeah.  I can't understand taking the chance over a few cents per gallon. Not when we're talking 4 gallons at most when filling up.
:agree: :agree: