Raider Patches

Author Topic: custom intake  (Read 6521 times)

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: custom intake
« Reply #75 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:33:39 AM »
So this is an actual working intake, right?  I'm not a fan of the dual SACs on one side, but the fact that it works is cool none the less.
Im not either. Would be awesome if someone made it functional on both sides.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Dec 04, 2012, 10:08:14 AM »
So this is an actual working intake, right?  I'm not a fan of the dual SACs on one side, but the fact that it works is cool none the less.

My issue with this is... am I going to lose (less) air then what my BAK already provides.  Looking cool is one thing but losing my BAK air is something not worth "looking cool" over.   Again, let me stress that I know next to nothing about engines.... but, it does make me wonder. 

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Dec 04, 2012, 10:24:40 AM »

My issue with this is... am I going to lose (less) air then what my BAK already provides.  Looking cool is one thing but losing my BAK air is something not worth "looking cool" over.   Again, let me stress that I know next to nothing about engines.... but, it does make me wonder. 
That would be my thing to. But the filters being on the side sure would make cleanin the filter less of a pain. Only thing maybe the ones on the side would give it more dense colder air htan the one on top that motor though. No tellin though.

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Dec 04, 2012, 10:49:15 AM »

No way to know unless those doing the modding do a before and after dyno - which can be expensive - it is here anyways.

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Dec 04, 2012, 11:44:43 AM »
The dyno shops here are more of a ways than i am willin to travel. So i went with the pro so i wouldnt have to dyno the thing.  ;D  Guess they could always use a (butt dyno). Butsometimes that lies

dreadly

• living the dream
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Dec 04, 2012, 11:56:44 AM »
The dyno shops here are more of a ways than i am willin to travel. So i went with the pro so i wouldnt have to dyno the thing.  ;D  Guess they could always use a (butt dyno). Butsometimes that lies

Without getting a dyno, even with the pro it's a 'butt dyno' guess that the bike has more tq/hp

Race the rain
Ride the wind
Chase the sunset
-- only a biker understands --

Paladin

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Dec 04, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »
In order for flstfidevoe's working intake to create any type of "ram air effect", the velocity of the air entering the air cleaners would have to be greater than the air velocity created by the venture effect within the throttle body/ intake runners and by the negative pressure (vacuum) created within the cylinder on the piston's intake stroke.

The Raider isn't capable of traveling fast enough to create the air pressure required to produce a "ram air effect" within the engine's intake tract. To create a forced air intake system, you need a turbocharger or supercharger.
Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

Maxxheadroom

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Halo Customs
« Reply #82 on: Dec 04, 2012, 01:02:01 PM »
In order for flstfidevoe's working intake to create any type of "ram air effect", the velocity of the air entering the air cleaners would have to be greater than the air velocity created by the venture effect within the throttle body/ intake runners and by the negative pressure (vacuum) created within the cylinder on the piston's intake stroke.

The Raider isn't capable of traveling fast enough to create the air pressure required to produce a "ram air effect" within the engine's intake tract. To create a forced air intake system, you need a turbocharger or supercharger.

Do you have any numbers to back that up or is that just an opinion?

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Dec 04, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
First.  Props for digging in and fabbing this intake.  Its cool just to know its a working SAC.  It must have taken a hell of an amount of time to do.  Clearly you have a passion for it.

Second, It'd be great to see dyno numbers but other than sticking a leaf blower to the intakes I'm not sure how they'd test the ram air.  I've always had a suspicion that the throttle bodies would be too restrictive but I could be very wrong.

Anyway, I think its cool, and I take my hat off to you for making it your own!
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Paladin

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Dec 04, 2012, 01:41:06 PM »

Do you have any numbers to back that up or is that just an opinion?
After checking with Jeff at Crago Racing, I was some what mistaken in my post. According to Jeff, a "ram air effect" begins to occur at around 40 mph and becomes noticeable at around 70 mph and above. Jeff also said that the "ram air" effect will never be greater than the air velocity within the intake tract, but the "ram air" effect does help the engine to breath.   

Maxxheadroom

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Halo Customs
« Reply #85 on: Dec 04, 2012, 01:45:53 PM »
That is going to vary largely depending on the surface area of your intake, and the angle of the intake surface. More important IMO in the case of a functional SAC is getting cool dense air to the intake instead of the hot air trapped under the tank.

Paladin

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Dec 04, 2012, 01:59:55 PM »
That is going to vary largely depending on the surface area of your intake, and the angle of the intake surface. More important IMO in the case of a functional SAC is getting cool dense air to the intake instead of the hot air trapped under the tank.
I agree.

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Dec 04, 2012, 02:15:55 PM »
I agree.

Again... let me preface this with saying I know next to nothing about engines....

If the custom intake is located right next to the side of the engine... is the air coming off the side of the engine going to really be that much cooler than the air under the tank? 

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Maxxheadroom

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Halo Customs
« Reply #88 on: Dec 04, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »
I believe it probably will be, with forward movement the hot air is pushed towards the back of the bike, I know while riding I don't feel much warm air coming from the engine unless I am at a stop.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Dec 04, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »
I'm curious if this will effect the fuel management system (PCV or Power Pro).  Not sure.
Kick Logic To The Curb!