Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Transfer case oil  (Read 2502 times)

thegunny

• Patriot Guard Rider, Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Transfer case oil
« on: Nov 13, 2012, 04:06:40 PM »
I went to the local dealer here to get supplies for my 600mi service. All they sold me was the oil and filter. Did they not think the transfer case oil needs changing?  Is it necessary for this first service?  Critically important?  I want to do this correctly. Semper Fi!!

Gunny

Tail dragger

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer case oil
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2012, 07:07:24 PM »
Manual states to change at the initial 600 miles or 1 month and thereafter every 16000 miles or 24 months.

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »
Use GL-4 rated oil.  I used the Yammie brand stuff cause price was nearly the same and it was peace of mind.

GL-5 is not backward compatible with GL-4, though some bottles do say it meets GL-4 specs as well so those should be ok.  I think the Yammie oil was 5 and met 4 specs as well.

sr975j

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »
i just changed mine recently at 8000 miles. by the look of the oil, it was the 2nd time it had been changed. i would go by the manual and change it at 600 because there will be some shavings in it from break in.

as for the oil itself, i used synthetic 80w-90 GL5. it said it met and exceeds GL4 specs......if only changing the oil was as easy as the transfer case  >:(

Sam

thegunny

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:14:01 PM »
thanks everyone!

bigjohn

« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »
im running amsoil in the box. best oil on the planet. check it out.

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2012, 09:43:17 PM »
I highly recommend changing the transfer case fluid and the engine/transmission oil at 600 miles.  While the engine is breaking in, fine particles are being worn off of the gears as they polish themselves (that's what you are doing as you break them in).  It is a good idea to get them out of the bike so they don't create excessive wear of their own. 

Coldfinger is right.  Any GL-4 will work.  GL-5 should be avoided, but some gear oils are rated for both.  As long as it says  GL-4 you're good to go. 

thegunny

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2012, 12:40:02 AM »
parts guy even said I could wait NLT 700-800 miles.  True?

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2012, 06:20:39 AM »
Ya.  Nothing magic about 600.  Just be sure to change it.

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2012, 07:57:57 AM »
GL-5 is not superseding (backwards compatible) with GL-4 (or any GL fluid)

The bottle that say it is compatible with both GL-4 and GL-5 applications are only referring to certain applications.

Typically, GL-5 can be used in GL-4 applications except for manual transmissions.
"If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2012, 09:24:18 AM »

The dealer told my wife she could slide a bit on her 600 mile service on her Stryker, but probably wouldn't push it over 1000.

thegunny

• Road Star
    • View Profile
Transfer case oil
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2012, 09:38:56 AM »
Thank you all!!!!

102~2~113

• Big Brother
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2012, 05:31:37 PM »
At 600 miles, it's time.  When I got my Raider at 3,400 miles, I changed the oil & filter cuz I didn't know what oil the independent shop used.  I changed the transfer case twice cuz the po couldn't produce a receipt to show it had ever been done.  Better safe than wearing stuff out.  Amsoil 20-50, and Severe Gear.  She sounds like a well oiled machine.  If it is a she, she has to be a female heavy weight MMA fighter if there is such a thing.  Ain't no prissy girl; yeah I rode today.  ;D

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:53:01 AM »
At 600 miles, it's time.  When I got my Raider at 3,400 miles, I changed the oil & filter cuz I didn't know what oil the independent shop used.  I changed the transfer case twice cuz the po couldn't produce a receipt to show it had ever been done.  Better safe than wearing stuff out.  Amsoil 20-50, and Severe Gear.  She sounds like a well oiled machine.  If it is a she, she has to be a female heavy weight MMA fighter if there is such a thing.  Ain't no prissy girl; yeah I rode today;D

Just think of her like Alice from the Resident Evil series... She extremely hot and still a bad ass.

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:48:25 AM »

The dealer told my wife she could slide a bit on her 600 mile service on her Stryker, but probably wouldn't push it over 1000.

I have always been a little leery of anything someone say's was told to them by the "dealer", wether a car or motorcycle dealer.
  The assumption of course is that the reference to the dealer carries a lot of weight by the fact that it is seen as an "authorized" extension of what the manufacturer claims to be required.

Nothing could be any farther from the truth.

I have been in the auto-service business for well over 25 years, and I am forever chagrined when a customer tells me they are going to spend several thousand dollars at thier "dealership" to get thier 30,000 mile (or whatever mile...) service done.
  They always seem to think that thier manufacturer requires this particular group of services to maintain warranty, simply because thier "dealer' is making the recommendation to do it. Often, dealers will outright lie to customers and tell them it is required for warranty reasons when it is not.
 The owner;s manual and the warranty requirement booklet that comes with the car is the last and only word on what is required to maintain a warranty.
  Dealerships are nearly always NOT considered an agent, or a representative of what a manufacturer requires when the chips are down.

Dealers are simply independant contractors trying to earn some business, just like me and my shops.

Just because the technicians uniform patch says "Ford" or "Yamaha" or any other brand name does not mean he knows any more than any other mechanic working at any independant shop in your town. Many times they are far less knowledgeable and trained than the local independants.

If the manual says "change at 600 miles", but the "dealer" tells you not to worry about it, that it is good to go over that amount, then you are assuming any risk if a warranty issue arises based on the gear-box fluid change interval. The dealer certainly is not going to eat the cost of repairs if the warranty doesn't cover it.
"If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"