Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Transfer case oil  (Read 2556 times)

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer case oil
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:17:31 AM »
parts guy even said I could wait NLT 700-800 miles.  True?

The dealer told my wife she could slide a bit on her 600 mile service on her Stryker, but probably wouldn't push it over 1000.

I have always been a little leery of anything someone say's was told to them by the "dealer", wether a car or motorcycle dealer.
  The assumption of course is that the reference to the dealer carries a lot of weight by the fact that it is seen as an "authorized" extension of what the manufacturer claims to be required.

Nothing could be any farther from the truth.

I have been in the auto-service business for well over 25 years, and I am forever chagrined when a customer tells me they are going to spend several thousand dollars at thier "dealership" to get thier 30,000 mile (or whatever mile...) service done.
  They always seem to think that thier manufacturer requires this particular group of services to maintain warranty, simply because thier "dealer' is making the recommendation to do it. Often, dealers will outright lie to customers and tell them it is required for warranty reasons when it is not.
 The owner;s manual and the warranty requirement booklet that comes with the car is the last and only word on what is required to maintain a warranty.
  Dealerships are nearly always NOT considered an agent, or a representative of what a manufacturer requires when the chips are down.

Dealers are simply independant contractors trying to earn some business, just like me and my shops.

Just because the technicians uniform patch says "Ford" or "Yamaha" or any other brand name does not mean he knows any more than any other mechanic working at any independant shop in your town. Many times they are far less knowledgeable and trained than the local independants.

If the manual says "change at 600 miles", but the "dealer" tells you not to worry about it, that it is good to go over that amount, then you are assuming any risk if a warranty issue arises based on the gear-box fluid change interval. The dealer certainly is not going to eat the cost of repairs if the warranty doesn't cover it.

I am confident that your statements were not asserting that this is true for all delearships... I am only reminding the forum memers that Tejas Motorsports has the 2 top Yamaha Certified mechanics in the U.S. 
It's good to live near Tejas.   ;D

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »
Yes, I am certainly not impuning any particular dealetship, and not all dealerdhips either. I was just saying that being a dealer does not neccesarily make you more of an authority than an independant. If you find a good dealer...stick to it!
"If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

wm308

• V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2012, 04:02:24 PM »
ohhhhh ALICE ...sweet , deadly ALICE thats My girls name from now on !!!

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2012, 06:22:51 PM »
Has anyone put the Synthetic oil in the Transfer case ? Dont think it would do much on the smoothness . But does it do any better with it ?
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2012, 07:27:26 AM »
  I use synthetic fluids (motor oil and gear oil in my bike, and it runs much smoother.

102~2~113

• Big Brother
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2012, 11:22:01 AM »
Has anyone put the Synthetic oil in the Transfer case ? Dont think it would do much on the smoothness . But does it do any better with it ?

This is what goes into my transfer cases...for better or worse, don't know.  I think with the small amount used, it's basically a bath for the bottom of the chain that connects the engine to the tranny.

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2012, 11:42:16 AM »
That Amsoil is great stuff, but all synthetic gear oil fluids are basically just as good. Just make sure it is the correct specs for your application.
The "Severe Gear" name is marketing only...technically it means nothing. All automoitive gear oils have EP (extreme pressure) additives in them, which is what qualifies it to classed as "gear oil" ( among some other specs).
  This stuff is no more "severe" than any other synthetic gear oil. Good stuff though.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2012, 11:44:34 AM by Kit Sullivan »

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2012, 07:47:13 PM »
parts guy even said I could wait NLT 700-800 miles.  True?

The dealer told my wife she could slide a bit on her 600 mile service on her Stryker, but probably wouldn't push it over 1000.

I have always been a little leery of anything someone say's was told to them by the "dealer", wether a car or motorcycle dealer.
  The assumption of course is that the reference to the dealer carries a lot of weight by the fact that it is seen as an "authorized" extension of what the manufacturer claims to be required.

Nothing could be any farther from the truth.

I have been in the auto-service business for well over 25 years, and I am forever chagrined when a customer tells me they are going to spend several thousand dollars at thier "dealership" to get thier 30,000 mile (or whatever mile...) service done.
  They always seem to think that thier manufacturer requires this particular group of services to maintain warranty, simply because thier "dealer' is making the recommendation to do it. Often, dealers will outright lie to customers and tell them it is required for warranty reasons when it is not.
 The owner;s manual and the warranty requirement booklet that comes with the car is the last and only word on what is required to maintain a warranty.
  Dealerships are nearly always NOT considered an agent, or a representative of what a manufacturer requires when the chips are down.

Dealers are simply independant contractors trying to earn some business, just like me and my shops.

Just because the technicians uniform patch says "Ford" or "Yamaha" or any other brand name does not mean he knows any more than any other mechanic working at any independant shop in your town. Many times they are far less knowledgeable and trained than the local independants.

If the manual says "change at 600 miles", but the "dealer" tells you not to worry about it, that it is good to go over that amount, then you are assuming any risk if a warranty issue arises based on the gear-box fluid change interval. The dealer certainly is not going to eat the cost of repairs if the warranty doesn't cover it.

I am confident that your statements were not asserting that this is true for all delearships... I am only reminding the forum memers that Tejas Motorsports has the 2 top Yamaha Certified mechanics in the U.S. 
It's good to live near Tejas.   ;D
Just wondering...what makes them the "2 top" mechanics in the US? I know a couple myself who would argue that point.